5 c all purpose flour

Filling ingredients:
1 1/2 c apple sauce
3/4 t cinnamon

Glaze Ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 c milk

Preparation:
1. In a sm bowl combine a pinch of the sugar, yeast and warm water. Allow to get foamy. In another bowl combine the butter, sugar, eggs, salt. Add 2 c of the flour, then the yeat mixture. Combine.
2. Combine the rest of the flour in and knead until it is a smooth, satiny dough.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hrs at least (you can fridge it for up to 4 days)
4. Cut dough into thirds. Roll each portion into 10 x 12 sheets. cut each sheet into 3 strips, lengthwise.
5. Mix filling ingredients (you can skip the cinnamon if you want) spoon about 2 tablespoons sauce down center of strips.fold dough over filling to seal in the apple sauce.
6. braid three strips together. Repeat for remaining strips.
7. Place on GREASED cookie sheet Cover, rise 1-1 1/2 hrs till doubled and puffy (it never seems to rise right here for me, altitude maybe?)
8. mix glaze ingredients. brush over loaves.
9. bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until golden.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to mention that you can do all kinds of things to personalise this bread. some things i do are:

1. after cooking I make a sugar glaze from 1 c powdered sugar and 2t-2T (depending on humidity) water. mix well until you have a thick drizzle to put on top of your bread.

2. or maybe try mixing chopped (unsalted) nuts (ie, pecans, walnuts, macadamia, etc) with brown sugar. grind together. i add this to the filling and i reserve some whole nuts to mix with the above sugar glaze.

3. or you can grind up some dried fruits...rasins, bananas, strawberries, whatever you can find to add to the applesauce filling. save a few of these also to add to a sugar glaze for the top.

this is just a few things i like to do to this recipe. I bet yourown families will have their ideas of what you can alter this recipe with. It is fun. :)

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Yum! :smball:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts