Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to pre-bake an apple crisp and still be able to have a crisp topping after re-heating in the oven?

I'd like to pre-bake an apple crisp for Christmas however I am wondering when reheating it, will the topping get crisp?

OR

Should I pre-assemble the bottom apple portion the night before, cover with plastic wrap then fridge and add crumble topping (pre-made and stored in freezer) just before baking?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've never attempted pre-baking so I can't tell you about re-crisping :)
However I always assemble the fruit filling and topping in advance and the pop the whole thing in the oven while we're eating our main course and it always comes out fine. You just have to make sure your apples have had a lemon juice bath before so the don't get brown.
Hth!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I have never pre-baked either. I just assemble them and freeze. They crisp up great. I add enough cinnamon it doesn't matter if the apples discolor a bit as the cinnamon darkens it already.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have made the just the crisp in the oven and stored in mason jars. Whenever I wanted some crisp I just add it to fruit. So you could just prebake the apples, place in refrigerator. Come time to serve reheat in microwave and top with prebaked crisp. Having the crisp on hand makes any dessert extra special. It is even good on ice cream.

The prebaked crisp lasts a long time in the jars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts