Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ladies,

This is an email from my niece Tia. She is a very talented young lady and I thought you might all enjoy it. I am posting here with her permission.

I have also asked her to join the site. I just know she would really love it here and she has a lot to offer too!

She is also just starting her own business making cards and journals. With Sara's permission, I will add her site later.

Apple Pie Perfection

November 26, 2003

Something about pulling a fresh baked apple pie out of the oven. The smell is amazing, a true sign that the holiday season has begun. I placed it on a cooling rack and gazed upon it in awe of its beauty. A variety of fresh sliced apples, a picture perfect handmade crust. And then I see it. My moment is short lived when I notice, almost immediately, that the crust was a little too brown, almost burnt in some places. A sigh, it was almost perfect.

It's funny because I forget sometimes that I'm a perfectionist in certain areas of my life. I suppose there is a stereotype, a neat little package that a "perfectionist" fits into. I just don't see myself in that package, especially because a package is usually a box of some kind and I consider myself to live outside of the box. I should appreciate what I created in all of its beauty. The flour that I scooped into the measuring cup with a spoon and leveled off with a knife, which by the way is the "right" way to measure flour, in my opinion of course. The water that I put in the freezer to cool down to just the right temperature. Putting my hands into the mixture and forming it into dough. Carefully rolling it out on the flour-covered counter, taking care to turn it every so often so it wouldn't stick. Placing the crust in the pie pan and poking it with holes. Peeling and coring the apples, Braeburn; Granny Smith; Fuji; and slicing them just right. Mixing up the flour, sugar and spices, pouring the mixture over the apples and tossing them very gently so as not to break them up. Placing the apples into the piecrust, making sure they were evenly distributed. Blanketing the spicy apple mixture with the top crust and securing it, letting out all the air and making the crust look pretty. Gently cutting the slits in the top so the steam could find it's way out. Then into the oven it went and I waited. Waited in anticipation of taking it out when it was done, smelling that fresh baked apple pie smell, to bask in the glow of its beauty. And it is beautiful. Beautiful and almost burnt.

Seems like a lot of work to go through for a pie doesn't it? But a homemade apple pie is a creation. It may be "just a pie" to some, but to me anything I create carries a part of me. You see I set a standard a few years back with the pie. I made the most beautiful pie I had ever set eyes on. Really. I took extra care to make sure the crust was perfect. I cut out apple shapes with a cookie cutter from the extra dough. I even made red food paint with egg yolk and food coloring and painted the apples. It was a vision of beauty and perfection. It actually pained me to have to cut into it on Thanksgiving Day but I sucked it up and sliced it open. Since that pie I have failed to live up to the self set standard.

Lucky for me I won't dwell on the not so perfect apple pie because if I did, I would sadly be missing the point. It's a shame that there are people whose sole goal for the day is to serve the perfect Thanksgiving Dinner. They slave away in the kitchen while the rest of the family is enjoying their time together. They set the table just right, special plates, napkins and silverware. They sit down to eat and wait for the compliments or they sit and point out the imperfections. The potatoes are over mashed, the turkey is dry, the rolls are too hard. They spend the whole day so completely preoccupied with making sure everything is so perfect that they don't spend a single moment in the true sense of the holiday.

After all, isn't Thanksgiving about giving thanks? Isn't it about sharing time with family and friends and giving thanks to our Creator for our blessings? I don't know about you but I find myself thankful for so many things this year. I have experienced things this year that I didn't even know existed. I am in the process of making my dream of owning a business making handmade greeting cards and journals, a reality. I was blessed with the courage to take a leap of faith and pursue a path in life I know I am meant to be traveling. I spend everyday doing what I love, crafting creations that will touch people's lives. For this I am thankful. I am also thankful that this year I found answers to questions of childhood issues and am totally at peace with them. I am thankful that I have Jordan who challenges me and keeps me on my toes everyday. Who helps to teach me patience and understanding and makes me laugh and smile. I am grateful for the family and friends that surround me and support me and who have helped to make my dream a reality and who have inspired some of the very creations that will one day touch a persons life. I'm grateful for all of the challenges I've had to face this year, especially with Jordan, for they have taught me great lessons and have given me strength. I am grateful, yes grateful, that I don't have any money in my checking account right now because otherwise, I'm not sure I would truly appreciate this experience. I am grateful to the friend who planted a tiny seed. I am grateful that I allowed that seed to grow by reading, learning and accepting. That growth has caused me to stop turning my back to God and face Him. I am grateful that Jesus is patient and waited for me to come around. I am grateful for the prayers that have been answered and the one's that God has said "no" to. I am grateful that I am allowed the opportunity to share in the lives of so many wonderful people. I feel blessed that I can honestly say that I am happier now than I have ever been. And I am grateful for the childhood I did have because it is through that experience that I am this person, that I am in this place in my life that I love so much and that gives me the words that bring tears to peoples eyes and will perhaps help to heal someone else's wounds. My list could go on and on from sunsets to beautiful breezy days to bubble baths, but I think you get the point. At least I hope you do.

As I sit down to dinner tomorrow in front of my imperfect yet fabulous pie, these are just some of the things I will be giving thanks for. And as you sit down tomorrow, I wish for you an endless list of life's blessings to be grateful for.

What does all of this have to do with apple pie? You figure it out.

Tia C. Wahl
Three Piece Press, LLC

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Of course you can add her site.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
27,948 Posts
Thanks for sharing Tia & Dee. :hugz:
Tis true life & apple pies aren't always perfect, richer is the person who finds joy in what they do have.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Beautiful!!!! Thank you Tia and Diane for sharing such a heartwarming letter! :hugz:

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Wow Dee, from the sound of that very inspiring letter, we are lucky to have her here...

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Wow! She is surely a gifted writer. Thank you for sharing and I hope she does well with her new business and site. It looks good so far! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts