Frugal Village Forums banner

applesauce

Tags
applesauce
2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  julieb 
#1 ·
Last fall I was given 2 bushel baskets full of apples. I froze some slices for pie and boiled the peels for juice and made apple jelly, but mostly I made applesauce. I made alot of applesauce, so much so we are sick of it. I still have two dozen pints left and five quarts.

I gave alot away to my mom and I made applesauce bread. I even put some applesauce in some cinnamon rolls I made. Any ideas what to do with the rest?? We are sick of eating the stuff.

#3 ·
Applesauce ice cream!
Posted by eyesroll in Cooking & Baking Group
Mon Oct 03rd 2005, 08:24 AM
A big hit with the toddler...(then again, we asked her if there was any ice cream she didn't like, she replied: "I don't like tree ice cream.") Perfect for a warm fall day.

Heat one cup whole milk, one cup heavy cream to 170 F. Meanwhile, beat four egg yolks until they're blended and bright yellow. Add a ladleful of the heated milk mixture to the yolks, and stir thoroughly. Add the tempered eggs to the remainder of the cream, whisking constantly to keep the eggs from curdling. Make sure the eggs spend at least 1 minute at 170 to kill any nasties. Remove from heat, add 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Refrigerate until cold, then freeze in the ice-cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.

Meanwhile, either make applesauce or use a commercial chunky brand -- minimally sweetened is better. I used aging Fuji apples, a little lemon and cinnamon, and no sugar. I think a tarter variety would have been better, but that's what I had. Make sure the applesauce is cold.

When the ice cream is done churning, fold in the applesauce. I used about a cup and a half for this recipe, but you can use as much or as little as you want. My ice-cream maker has a pouring spout, so I added the applesauce and let the paddle mix it in.

Transfer to a freezer container.

Serve by itself or with some simple cookies -- butter or shortbread works nicely.

Enjoy!

#4 ·
Debi's Apple Sauce Pie
This lightly spiced, custard-like pie is a nice addition to the holiday table. Applesauce is beaten into the egg mixture for a pumpkin pie-like texture.
Ingredients:

• 1 pastry for a single crust pie
• 1 16-oz jar applesauce
• 1/2 cup evaporated milk
• 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 5 eggs
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute for baking can be used)

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with pastry; flute edge. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl whisk together apple sauce, evaporated milk, cinnamon, and eggs. Mix flour and sugar together, then mix into apple mixture until well combined. Pour into lined pie plate. Place pie plate in a shallow baking pan and place on middle rack in oven. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Notes:

Cool completely and serve with a nice vanilla/cinnamon ice cream or whipped cream. It's a wonderfully different custard-type pie similar in consistency to a pumpkin pie.

Number of servings: 8

#5 ·
OATMEAL-APPLE BARS

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup canned applesauce
2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
1 cup pitted dates, cut up
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.

Sift flour, salt, baking soda and nutmeg onto wax paper.

Beat butter, sugars and egg in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour mixture alternately with applesauce, blending well to make a thick batter; stir in oats and dates. Spread dough in prepared pan.

Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool in pan on wire rack.

Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar, if desired. Cut into bars.

"Oatmeal, dates and applesauce combine to make a nutritious snack cake -- it's
delicious served hot with ice cream for dessert too!"

Makes 3 1/2 dozen
Source: Magazine Clipping

#7 ·
Applesauce Pancakes

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups dry pancake mix
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup applesauce
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup milk

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, stir together pancake mix and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the pancake mix. Add the eggs, applesauce, lemon juice and milk; stir until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

#8 ·
Bisquick Cranberry-Apple Cobbler

1/3 c Butter
2 1/2 c Bisquick
1 c Sugar
1 1/2 c Milk
1 c Whole berry cranberry sauce
1 c Chunky applesauce
1 Apple; cored & thinly sliced

Heat oven to 350F.

Heat butter in 9 x 13 pan in oven until melted.

Mix bisquick, sugar and milk with wire whisk until smooth. Pour bisquick batter evenly into pan.

Mix cranberry sauce and applesauce. Spoon evenly over bisquick batter. Place apple slices on sauce.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve warm with whipped cream or rum raisin or vanilla ice cream, if desired.

#9 ·
Spiced Applesauce Bread

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/4 cups applesauce
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 eggs
* 3 tablespoons milk
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, oil, eggs and milk; beat well. Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt; stir until smooth. Fold in the pecans. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.

#10 ·
Beans and Franks Applesauce Bake

NGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 6 hot dogs, sliced
* 1 (28 ounce) can baked beans with pork
* 1 cup applesauce
* 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until starting to brown, then mix in the hot dogs. Fry until browned, then transfer hot dogs and onions to a 2 quart casserole dish. Stir in the baked beans, applesauce, mustard, ketchup and ginger. Top with shredded cheese.
3. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until heated through and cheese is melted and browned.

#11 ·
Fizzy Gelatin Salad

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
* 1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored gelatin mix
* 1 cup ginger ale

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour applesauce into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir in gelatin until dissolved, then set aside to cool for about 1 hour. When cooled, gradually whisk in the ginger ale. Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.

#13 ·
WOW you guys really know your applesauce....lol. Thankyou so much!!

#14 ·
errrrrrrr sunshine I live in front of an apple orchard.......do you?? lol

#16 ·
ohhhhh my that's alot of fruit. I usually do berries, peaches, apples and rhubarb.....everything else is gone except that blasted applesauce.....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.