Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first applique work yesterday! on the pooh quilt I am making! found a neat one!

its kind of ragged and you can tell its my first time....:laugh:

but wow that was fun!

I'll take a picture to share when I find my camera (moved my computer last weekend and put everything somewhere....:bang: )

of course I ran out of the green thread I need too....

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
ah, cant wait to see the pic of the applique!! I .ove seeing what others make with their hands too. I started a couple of years ago embroidery. 8/ 12 blocks were finished, to make a quilt. But i decided I'm going to put them in frames, when I find some on sale or at yard sales all the same size.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I did a machine applique yesterday and used a stabilizer for the first time. It REALLY helped and I intend to use stabilizer for the other 31 I need for this quilt.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
WTG ladies, I am an applique chicken. :chicken:

But I do have stabilizer in my sewing room so I may just try it again. Can't wait to see your pics. :)

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Stabalizer is awesome when you come to doing machine applique. I use 505 temperary adhesive (very expensive, well worth it) whenever I do machine applique.

Just recently I learned how to use spray starch when it came to machine applique. Works perfect.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
homesteadmamma said:
Just recently I learned how to use spray starch when it came to machine applique. Works perfect.
How do you use spray starch CJ? I always have that on hand.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Hope I can explain this so you understand. Let's say you are doing a heart. Cut our your heart, 1/4 inch wider than your pattern calls for. Cut out a heart from a piece of cardboard (cereal boxes work great) the same size as your heart pattern.

Next, spray the material (back side) lightly with spray starch. Place it on your cardboard and turn your 1/4 inch seam allowance under, pressing the part as you go while turning under. Once that is finished, take your cardboard out. The part you've turned under will stay that way.

Spray lightly with 505 or an adhesive or you can pin it to where you want to place it. Using your sewing machine, use your favorite stitch and viola it's done.

I usually wait until it's dry and then pin in a couple spots. We were just taught this in our Batik's class. It works really well, although I'm not sure if it would work for very small pieces because it would be hard to press. We did flowers and hearts and it worked perfectly. I would also suggest a wet cloth nearby so you can wash the tips of your hands. Also BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR IRON.

HTH and explains it well enough for you to try Dee.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I understand perfectly thank you, I may try this later today! :D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the pattern had the pieces adhered with fusible web, so the stabilizer wasn't necessary...I do have it though. lol

I am going to make it to the store today! get more thread~

and I found my camera so I can take a pic!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Can't wait to see your pics Christine.:):

I recently did my first machine applique also and even though it was scary, it was really fun and I'm no longer afraid of applique. Mine also had fusable web backing and I didn't turn it under. I just sewed around the applique 2 times and used my applique scissors to remove any stray threads. I hope it holds up the way I did it but it seemed secure.

Thanks for all of the tips ladies.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just kept getting frustrated with the needle getting jammed and sticky from the fusible stuff....

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
i keep saying that i will try it, i haven't gotten to it though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts