Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I never did make bread in March. ):

I was thinking breakfast bars. I used to make a lot of healthy breakfast bars. I think there are some here posted in the recipe section that sounds good. Easy to grab in the morning.

Anyone interested? If not we can think of something else. Just an idea. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I will probably just be hanging around to check out the recipes.........doubt that I will have time to bake much of anything in April...........got to get out in the garden/yard if the weather ever settles down.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Don't know if I want to do a "challenge" but I do have a goal of making bread again. By hand. I used to but life stormed so it's been years. I have made bread kits in the machine and risen premade dough overnight recently. I need to rehone and improve some of the rudimentary skills I have. So I will join in that vane. But please not in a contest or number sort of way. Would that be OK???

·
Registered
595 Posts
I need to make a birthday cake for Sunday. Next week my mom will be 70 years old. We will be celebrating it at Easter dinner Sunday.

So I volunteered to make a cake. This is what I think I am going to make

Strawberry Swirl Cake

1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix
1 pkg. (4 serving size) Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
2/3 cup Sour Cream
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 (8 ounce) tub Whipped Topping, thawed
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. Prepare cake batter as directed on package. Pour half of the batter into medium bowl. Add dry gelatin mix; stir until well blended. Spoon half of the white batter and half of the pink batter, side-by-side, into each prepared pan. Swirl batters together using a teaspoon.

Bake 30 min. Cool 30 min. in pans. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.

Mix sour cream and powdered sugar in medium bowl until well blended. Gently stir in whipped topping. Place one of the cake layers on serving plate; spread top with 1 cup of the whipped topping mixture. Top with 1 cup of the strawberries and remaining cake layer. Spread top and side of cake with remaining whipped topping mixture. Top with remaining 1/2 cup strawberries just before serving. Store any leftover cake in refrigerator.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
frugalwarrior2 - its not a contest! The only person you're challenging is yourself :)

happymomof4 - ok that cake sounds divine!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well I never did make bread in March. ):

I was thinking breakfast bars. I used to make a lot of healthy breakfast bars. I think there are some here posted in the recipe section that sounds good. Easy to grab in the morning.

Anyone interested? If not we can think of something else. Just an idea. :)
Palooka - I want to try these for breakfast bars

Nutri-Grain Bars

Hope they turn out. NutriGrain is too sweet for me.

I'll join in only if the temp stays under 100! After that, I'm out - I don't turn the oven on after that.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sounds yummy happymom.........am sure the family will love it.......I might have to try it.........when/after I dig up a 'victim' to give most of it away.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JerryrG, those sound yummy.

Happymom, the cake sounds divine.

We can just make it a free-for-all type baking in April. :D I mean as long as we are making/baking something, right? :)

I think first I am going to make my peanut butter cheerios breakfast bars. It's been awhile. Just need to pick up some more peanut butter. I should have stock in that stuff...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I am new to this challenge. Does it count if I bake from a box or use frozen bread dough to bake bread? Or is the point to be completely from scratch?

Anyhow I baked brownies and lemon bars from boxes for the bf's birthday present, and tonight baked brownies from a box for my daughter and I. They were on sale only .69 so I stocked up.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope doesn't have to be from scratch. :) I made a cake the other day from a Betty Crocker box that I got for cheap.

Usually we have like a theme for the month but it doesn't look like it will be this month. lol. It doesn't matter to me. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I want to do breakfast bars or cookies, cos' right not it's a real challenge to get any nutrition in the morning so if I can find something that is yummy and healthy, I'll make a batch every weekend.

·
19,119 Posts
I will enjoy reading about whatever you all do, as for me, I am going to bake bread using my bread machine - no excuses this month!!

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I have some cake mixes need to bake and some yeast need make some bread but the oven cooks to fast keep complaining to manager she want's to get me a new stove but the man keep working on this one.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
No baking today but i am cleaning the ( bleep) out of the kitchen so i have space. The big stuff tends to get away from us (badly). I bought lots of baking supplies lately so I amgetting ready. Wish i could get ready in time to bake Easter yeast rolls but I am iffy on it.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Breakfast bats sound like a great idea. I think I will try some too. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I think first I am going to make my peanut butter cheerios breakfast bars. It's been awhile. Just need to pick up some more peanut butter. I should have stock in that stuff...
Palooka...........what is in the brkfst. bars? Is this something that I will have to have a victim for........before I make it?

I make the krispy treat recipe with cheerios sometimes............what is this recipe? Sounds good.............

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Breakfast bats sound like a great idea. I think I will try some too. :)
Breakfast bats? :D Sounds yummy and scary. :p

Palooka...........what is in the brkfst. bars? Is this something that I will have to have a victim for........before I make it?

I make the krispy treat recipe with cheerios sometimes............what is this recipe? Sounds good.............
I spend money on things like Luna bars, granola bars, and nutri grain bars. etc It's cheaper to make them. :) I have a protein bar recipe made with cereal too. Just need to dig it out.

The recipe is basically melted peanut butter, cereal of your choice and maple syrup. Gotta make sure the peanut butter is melted before adding the syrup. Then you put it in the fridge until cool and hard and cut.

You could do lots of things with oatmeal too.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
The recipe is basically melted peanut butter, cereal of your choice and maple syrup. Gotta make sure the peanut butter is melted before adding the syrup. Then you put it in the fridge until cool and hard and cut.

You could do lots of things with oatmeal too.

I 'don't do' maple..............think it would work with Mrs. Butterworths's??? Or how about honey?

·
19,119 Posts
This sounds like something we could make in the classroom for the preschoolers!! Mahalo!!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts