Frugal Village Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
We have to find the center of the apron armholes and the bias strips .

Take each one and fold in half, place a pin in the fold. This is so that the bias strip will hang off the neck and the waist area to make 2 equal tie lengths.

This is my easy way of finding the center.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Next your going to open up one of the bias strips, move your pin to the center and with RIGHT SIDES together match up the pin on one armhole side of the apron with the pin on your bias strip. Pin together along the apron armhole.

Take over to the sewing machine and sew the bias strip onto the apron using a 3/4" seam allowance instead of the standard 5/8". This is easy, you will stitch right in the crease of the fold. Back stitch on each end.

Do the same to the opposite side of the apron.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Turn the binding over the seam allowance and pin in place, continuing to pin pressed under edges of ties together.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Pin the other side of the apron in the same manner.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sew your seam.

You are going to start at one short end of the bias strip (I would back stitch here), then go along the bias strip (stitching close to the edge) all the way to the other end back stitching again.

Now do the same for the opposite side.

Give your apron a final press, and you are DONE!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you!

I started working on this apron yesterday but had to put it away because I could not figure out the binding by reading the pattern instructions. I googled the pattern number and your instructions came up. Thank you so very much! You gave such clear instructions and pictures.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Fiveforthelord, I am so happy I could help you. Sorry it took so long to answer you, I have been MIA for a while. Please post a pic of your apron if you can. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am really confused with the binding. I have been sewing since I was a kid but can't figure it out. When I line up the notches the bold lines do not match. What can i possibly be doing wrong. I am not sure about the cutting process either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now you are going to cut the binding apart along your transferred lines forming one continuous strip.

You will start cutting it apart at one of the ends where the point is sticking out, right there at the beginning of the seam is where you should start. It will be approximately 10 feet long when you are done. If you are in doubt as to what you are doing, STOP, do not cut it, pm me or ask in the forum first. I don't want you to ruin your large piece of fabric, I will be checking in daily if you have any questions.

Another tip: Keep your hand in between the layers as you are cutting. This is so you don't accidentally cut the under part of the binding.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.