Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a list of items we need for her arrival in Jan. My last baby was also a girl and born in Jan so I'm saving a bundle on not having to buy any clothes. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can avoid buying. Is there any reason I really need special towels and washcloths for the baby or can she use the family ones?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
First of all congrats on baby number two! I'm due late December with my baby number two!

I find baby washcloths to be a bit more gentle than regular ones. But what I think works even better, are squares cut from old worn out T-shirts. If you're feeling crafty you could hem them, but I just cut them and use them that way. I also plan on using them to make cloth wipes for diaper changes.

As for towels, I find the baby towels I have to be kind of thin and flimsy. I like to use regular towels. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Amish Country Livin

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I think the baby washcloths are much softer and easier to manage with a small baby.

Towels, though, I'd skip.

JMHO! :)

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
We were given some for dd, but by the time her brothers came along, we just used adult towels and washcloths. The boys were just fine.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I never had any baby washcloths or towels and the kids seem fine. I also didn't use any special detergent for their clothes, they get done in Sunlight Free just like everyone elses. I also didn't have a special comb for their hair. I never used lotion or powder. Really, they need a few onesies, some footed suit things and maybe one nice outfit for 'show'. Love and tlc are the really important things. Don't let those long lists of things you need sway you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
had them for my first and gave up.

I use the big towels on all of them, and as the towels die I cut into small pieces and stitch the edges so they won't fray.

also found at the dollar store 4 wash cloths for $1 that were nice.

I also use cloth diapers so have lots of flannel bits and fleece bits hanging around that I use instead of those silly little baby cloths.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With my first son, I was all about having everything "perfect". So, I had them and used them.

With my second son, I gave away some that still had tags on them.

With the one that's to be soon making her appearance...I'm not even gonna bother with them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
old ratty tshirts, sweatshirts....cut into squares and spiffed up with some ribbon or stitching make pretty cloths.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I used them with both of mine and will again if we have another. I like the wash cloths for myself as well. They are so much softer than regular ones.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I loved the baby towels. I still use one baby towel for my hair. It's perfect!
I personally wouldn't buy either one if I had any more babies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had some baby washcloths from my shower, but I always found that my older, thinner regular washcloths worked better. I did like the baby towels with the hoods in the corner, but again, they were from my shower. I'm not sure I would have bought them myself.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I got some for shower gifts, sometimes I used them for the kids when they were little, sometimes, I just used a regualr towel......no diff to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nope, I still have some from my baby shower that have never been opened.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont think they are necessary at all. You can always but a super soft cotton washcloth and make that for use solely on the baby but towels.... you can just use the same ones everyone else uses.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A few are good

but you don't need that many...I bought like 2 or 3 of the larger hooded towels which are great to use up until toddler years. One pack of baby washcloths are nice, but you really don't need that many cause you can hang them after each use and let them dry on the rack. It's a preference thing, but not necessary. The big thing is if you are using a different detergent than baby(due to allergies or what not) then you will have to make sure whatever is used is washed w the baby stuff.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Not at all. I've always had them, but I've never used them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know, I used them with both of my kids. Simply because it made it easier for me to keep them seperate because I always washed the babies clothes seperately with dreft. On top of that the wash clothes and towels were softer and easier to use. The towels were especially easy to use with the little hoods, especially before they were sitting up I would use the hood to "anchor it to the baby" then I was able to lay him on the couch or whatever to dry him, then put on the diaper then dress them. I always worried about them having a wet head while I was doing all those things (my kids had tons of hair) so the head was covered and warm.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
For both of my babies a family friend gave me as a gift a hooded towel. I used them and loved them. As for washcloths I used the family ones soft from years of use. Still have both hooded towels folded away in my cedar chest orginally my hope chest to give to my grandbabies when they come on the scene.

Laurie in Bradenton

1 - 20 of 25 Posts