Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we lived in the city, field trips were a regular part of our homeschooling. Dh had the use of a company truck, so often the kids and I would go on a field trip.

Now that we are in the country, we don't do as many field trips. But come Sept. I plan on making them a regular part of our homeschooling once again. Ds#2 is much better now when travelling or visiting places, so it should be much easier.

How about you?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I never know how to answer this one....

What exactly is a field trip? Do you have to go with a group? What counts? I figure anything that we do away from the books is a field trip.

We go to the zoo and science museum a lot, and visit our local nature park frequently. We like to go to a neighborhood pond to feed the ducks. We go to free concerts at the library, and take the girls to the symphony twice a year. These sorts of activities we do maybe 2 per month.

We usually do these things as a family. We did tour a pizza parlour with our hs group, and it was fun. We haven't had luck going to zoo/etc with friends, as we like to move along at our own pace.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They aren't as much now that we have moved back to the country.

When we lived in the city, we had a more readily access of museums, historical sites, and more.

Now where we live it takes us a good 30 minutes just to get off the mountain and back into civilization. ROFL.

But there is a lot to do within an hours drive in all directions, so we could still do field trips, just not as many as we once did. We used to do at least one or two a month.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Our field trips are usually done as part of our weekends or holidays, and not part of our daily routine of homeschooling. We're history buffs so anything historical is big fun for us!

Although, Friday is Life Skills day so I suppose some of the community activities we do would count as well.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I pretty much consider anywhere we go a field trip! I figure if ds asks at least one question (which he always does and many more ROFL!) that it qualifies as a valuable learning experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts