Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few books hanging around & I was debating trying to sell them on Amazon. Is it worth it for just a few?

opinions please. :tubby4:

·
19,119 Posts
I'd like to know too. I have a lot of books that I always donate to the Friends of the Library - but there's nothing wrong with making some extra money too!!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
We sell our books to Powell's....for those of you who aren't familiar, it's a bookstore in downtown Portland that takes up a full city block! Love going there. Very bad for my checkbook, though, so I try to limit my trips :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
What about any used bookstores in your area that may offer cash/store credit? You may do better there with the shipping costs.

·
2,688 Posts
There is a section on here you should check out.
For Sale or Trade - Frugal Village Forums
For sale or trade

Amazon will cost you last I knew .99 each for the book if it sells.
You can also check out half.com which ebay owns.

Ebay is currently running a promotion for your first 5 listings free each month.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I sold books on Amazon and it's very easy. Amazon figures the shipping costs for you and their charge is a flat rate per book. The biggest thing is to do your research. See what the books are selling for. If they are mass market books, they will only be selling for $.01. If they are something unusually, you could do very well.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input. I'll check out our FV sale/trade area - as well as half.com

I'm familar with selling on ebay, but I didn't think books would do well -

only good used book store in my area only offers store credit..... I'd rather have the cash :toothy:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Research how the books are selling. You should check out half.com (an eBay company). I think they have no listing fees and charge you a fee when the item actually sells.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've sold a good many books and DVD's on Amazon. It's just a matter of checking what the used prices are on Amazon and deciding whether it's worth it or not. At least there is no listing fee if the book doesn't sell.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I sell books on Amazon and I never realized how many I actually had until I started listing. I still have more to list and I take everything that is offered to me. I generally price the item at the lowest price; if a book is already listed for say $2.00, I 'll list mine for $1.99. I have sold several books over the past few months and have built up quite a savings from it. I like Amazon because you are not charged any fees until the item sells and they handle all the accounting and the money is deposited into my account. Granted I have dozens upon dozens of books but personally I have been able to get rid of several and make a few bucks in the process. It's always fun to check your email and see that an item has sold.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sell books on Amazon and I never realized how many I actually had until I started listing. I still have more to list and I take everything that is offered to me. I generally price the item at the lowest price; if a book is already listed for say $2.00, I 'll list mine for $1.99. I have sold several books over the past few months and have built up quite a savings from it. I like Amazon because you are not charged any fees until the item sells and they handle all the accounting and the money is deposited into my account. Granted I have dozens upon dozens of books but personally I have been able to get rid of several and make a few bucks in the process. It's always fun to check your email and see that an item has sold.

Hope that helps.
I did similar and tried selling books on Half.com

- No fee to list items.
- Small % fee as commission to half.com when you make a sale.
- Buyer pays for shipping, which is included in the purchase price as an estimated shipping cost. Most of the time I ship media mail, which costs less than the estimate half.com charges, so i get toi pocket the increases as profit.

I've sold my personal books as well as a donation by a friend who was throwing out college textbooks and other books.

I thought I could turn this into a small business but it seems I did not have the energy to seek out undervalued used books that would sell for a decent premium online. The trips to the post office also become somewhat of a hassle when you try to ship out the day of sale. Might be easier to send out all orders once a week.

I just checked my MINT.COM from 07/17/10 thru 10/08/10 and shocked I only had a net of $36.95

Some books sell for $1 while other can sell for several dollars.

Unless you have a connection with a book wholesaler or have the tact to spot books worth something at garage sales or used books stores, I think it might be tough to use Amazon as something more than getting rid of clutter at small financial gain.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I don't do e-bay or amazon I trade my books at paperbackswap.com It works for me and I get new to me books!

Reactions: craftypam

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo for the ideas. I definitely need to go through my books and plan on getting rid of a whole bunch!!

·
2,688 Posts
Currently Ebay has the first 100 listings you do a month for free at any start price you want. Then it's 9 % final value fee when the item sells. I think you will be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Seller Special
September 28 - January 7
FREE Insertion Fees for up to 100 Auction-style listings every month
List even big-ticket items—start the bidding where you want
Pay only if your item sells

eBay: Special Offer

I put the ISBN number into Amazon's search if it's a book I am not familiar with to get a better idea for a start price. I also use Ebay's search too.

When you are listing , it helps to put similiar books. Like maybe all cookbooks. And or all craft books on the same day or 2 days back to back. This way, if someone finds several of your books they like, you can combine shipping them to help them save on postage costs.
People are looking for deals. And a lot of the time, they won't bid until the last moment so other people don't find their bargain, and drive up the price.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
This was interesting for me to read as Amazon has killed the used book busines for those of us who were used book dealers before they existed. Those $1 and .01 books used to be $3 and $1 respectively.

FYI, Amazon sells new books at a loss. The book I had come out in July is CHEAPER on Amazon than I can get it, with an author's or bookdealer's discount, from the publisher. That means they are using the books as a LOSS LEADER to get you to buy a toaster or whatever else they make money at (your account?)

The bookdealers on Amazon have raced each other to the bottom in terms of price, and make their $$$ on the handling fee, rather than the books themselves.

Judi

·
Registered
860 Posts
tervsforme answered it well -- if it is a very common book, it's not worth it. I've sold quite a few on Amazon. It's so much easier than Ebay and no charge if you don't sell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The quick way to check what the books are worth on Amazon is to enter the ISBN number from the back of the book (also located on the copyright notice page). Then, check the lowest used price and see if it is worth it to list the book. My personal limit is $5.00. Be careful with heavy books. Amazon gives you a fixed fee for shipping and you can occasionally lose out when a book is especially heavy and is selling for a low price.

What to do with that group of books that aren't worth selling on Amazon? I've had some luck selling groups of relatively low value books as a "lots" on eBay. I group them by subject or by author.

Good luck!

Steve

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
unless its rare or a high demand book or a textbook i would do paperback swap doesnt have to be paperback although you pay the shipping you get a credit for a book and when you pick one the person who has it pays the shipping .

last year i used PBS credits to get my son the books he needed for his honors english classes- saved a fortune.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts