Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why not?
I was watching Paula Deen last night on tv and she had a guest, Rodney Henry, on. They were making this chicken pie & as he's getting the chicken all dolled up to go in the oven I'm yelling "OMG he's worse than she is!" No way am I ever making this recipe. Ever. 5lb chicken, 1/4 c. salt, stick of butter rubbed on chicken... sauce had 2 1/2 c heavy cream...
Most times I don't make a recipe because I don't like the ingredients and can't think of a way to substitute another, it's too complicated or it just doesn't make sense. I can usually just read the recipe & then know it's not for me. This one was over the top not good for you and salt city blech. It was like watching a train wreck seeing them prepare then eat this dish. Oh she also made her own version using the chicken filling in some rolled out pop biscuits and then fried them. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
A 1/4 cup of salt!? :eek:
Although, I suppose when I dump a can of cream soup on something I'm probably adding just as much ;)

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe too unhealthy for me, but I know I won't make most things because I dislike so many foods. Plus I'm super lazy :lol:

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes 1/4 c salt & then they proceeded to use all the drippings from the pan the chicken cooked in to help make the sauce that will go in the pie with veggies & chicken meat.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I won't ever make anything with lamb or veal, because I can't get over the animal-cruelty aspect of the processing.

I won't ever make anything with tripe, tongue, organ meats, brain, etc, because I can't get over the "BLECH!!" aspect of it.

I won't ever make anything that requires ME to kill the critter (i.e, steamed clams, lobster, etc) because I am a wimp. Even if I could get to the point of purchasing the live thing, I'd feel sorry for it and end up setting it up in an aquarium and having one more pet to feed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
LOL! I always ignore recipes emailed to me through Spark Recipes by Chef Meg...I think most if not all of her recipes sound DISGUSTING or are super repetitive as in NOTHING new to offer at all.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
The recipe really isn't that bad. The 1/4 c of salt goes on the outside of the bird, and then the skin is discarded. Drippings should be added to taste. I'd skim the fat off mine first.

2 1/2 cups of cream is not a lot for a pie the size they are making, there's 3-4 pounds of meat left after the chicken is deboned. Let's say there's 3 lbs, that's 6 servings, that's less than half a cup of cream per serving, under 150 calories.

I use this recipe and it calls for a quart of cream: Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

·
Registered
256 Posts
The recipe really isn't that bad. The 1/4 c of salt goes on the outside of the bird, and then the skin is discarded. Drippings should be added to taste. I'd skim the fat off mine first.

2 1/2 cups of cream is not a lot for a pie the size they are making, there's 3-4 pounds of meat left after the chicken is deboned. Let's say there's 3 lbs, that's 6 servings, that's less than half a cup of cream per serving, under 150 calories.

I use this recipe and it calls for a quart of cream: Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network
Thank god someone else was thinking like me LOLOLOLOL!!!!! I too didn't think the recipe seemed all that bad.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Anything with curry in it. I do not like curry, but have no particular recipes to list.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Er... everything about that recipe is wrong to me.
Chicken, No
butter , no
cream , no
and 1/4 cup of salt sounds like an awful lot to me.

I use to love Food network and adore Paula. I can't watch it anymore. Wish they had just one show for veggie heads like me.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Reactions: Labontet

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My mil makes spareribs with a cocacola based sauce. Hate. The. Stuff. The idea of making sauce out of coke seems wrong to me. Coke isn't an ingredient, it's a drink. One that should be enjoyed moderately, but never cooked on pork. That's the one thing that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Anything that calls for too many ingredients. Or if I see something I think I will like and it has one ingredient I've never heard of or you have to go to a special store for it, I won't mess with it.

Madhen, I'm so with you. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Like most of you, I make some automatic adjustments to recipes - cut the amount of salt, replace cream with evaporated milk, reduce fat, reduce sugar. I like to try exotic ingredients - a couple of my markets will sell reduced produce for 1.29 a tray - I'll buy things I've never bought before at that price to see if I like them. As a matter of practicality I rarely make recipes that have a long list of ingredients - it's just a matter of time. I also try to avoid too many leftovers - I like them but spouse really does not, and I have too many mystery packages in the freezer already - yes yes yes, I know I should label, but sometimes I think I will use it up fast, and then forget. I'm a more adventurous eater than he is, too, but sometimes I can sneak things through.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
With cooking...baking..........I never say never...........I would try to change it around.........do my version. But...like you I can usually read a recipe and tell if I will ever try it........or if it sounds good.

Can't remember the last time I "followed" a recipe.......maybe when I was making my candy at Xmas.

I will often read recipes to find out what they are using for spices.........and learn from that. Love experimenting with spices.......learning which ones are good/accent each other when paired up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Anything with tofu. Or "exotic" or expensive ingredients.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.