One coffee a day.....then water.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Crap, a Coke drinker here.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Diet Pepsi or D. Mountain Dew here in moderation.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i switched to Zero Calorie. It has been an adjustment from Coke.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Well,a diabetic as of last April but occasionally 1/2 a coke.
It sucks the calcium out of your body and cause kidney and liver prob. along w/ diabetes. It wrecks your teeth,makes you fat and causes w/ drawal headaches,there is NO nutrition in it and the dyes make some kids act crazy. So no I didn't read the article but NO surprise here. CUZ pops great stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
The carcinogen they mention,4-methylimidazole, is found in many things.

Caramel colorings are manufactured in several ways. Caramel Color I (may be used in
high-proof alcoholic beverages) and Caramel Color II (may be used in cognac, sherry,
and vegetable extract) are produced with alkali or acid caustic chemicals and sometimes
sulfites (Caramel II), but not with ammonium compounds.
Caramel Color III
(synonyms: ammonia caramel, ammonia process caramel, closed-pan ammonia process
caramel, open-pan ammonia process caramel, bakers’ caramel, confectioners’ caramel,
and beer caramel) is prepared by the controlled heat treatment of carbohydrates with
ammonium compounds. Caramel Color III is often used in baking, beer, soy sauce,
gravy, and other products. Caramel Color IV (synonyms: ammonia sulfite process
caramel, sulfite ammonia caramel, sulfite ammonia process caramel, acid-proof caramel,
beverage caramel, and soft-drink caramel) is prepared by the controlled heat treatment of
carbohydrates with ammonium-containing and sulfite-containing compounds.
Soft
drinks colored with caramel coloring generally are made with Caramel Color IV, which is
generally used in colas and certain other soft drinks, and it also may be used in blended
whiskey and general food applications.

A key difference between Caramel III and
Caramel IV is that Caramel III carries a positive ionic charge, while Caramel IV carries a
negative charge. That difference renders them appropriate for use in different categories
of foods.

http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/caramel_coloring_petition.pdf
more info here >

·
4,028 Posts
Thank you for the postings. My intake of soda is significantly lower than it once was and this will probably reduce it even more. Glad I like my whiskey neat. ;)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oh gosh, I bookmarked it so I can read it later when I have more time. Maybe this article will help me kick my longtime Pepsi Max addiction.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hardly drink any but would pick Coke over Pepsi. Like rootbeer more than those though.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I bet root beer has caramel coloring in it, too.

I drink about two twelve packs of Diet 7-Up a year, but I'm losing interest in it. I'm starting to really hate the taste of Splenda. I've decided the occasional homemade limeade with no artificial anything is worth the calories instead.

My favorite drink especially in the summer is ice water with a slice of lemon. I load up a half-gallon insulated mug with that and sip it through a straw all day long. It stays cold even in the hottest weather and, unlike pop, it's actually refreshing.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I am only an occasional Dr. Pepper drinker these days. Other than that I regularly drink water, iced tea, and homemade lemonade (lemon tree in the backyard). I also have an occasional lite beer.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I drink pop maybe once a month, when I do, it is usually either Pepsi Max, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet A&W rootbeer, or Fresca.

·
Super Moderator
1,956 Posts
I have soda maybe 2 times a year. Way too sweet for my taste. I like flavored (unsweetened) seltzer with fruit juice.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bet root beer has caramel coloring in it, too.
I would agree with you SD........and while I don't drink much Pepsi, I do like Root Beer..........and also Creme Soda..........both of which probably have it. (though don't drink much of it) Would guess ANY of the 'brown colas' have it.......Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper, etc. Not to mention all the other things in the article Russ posted.........

Your summer time refresher sounds good.........going to have to remember and try it........I freeze 'jugs' during the summer but bet I could cram a lemon slice in the bottle before freezing.......that would be nice!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've frozen lemon and lime slices in other drinks for camping, and that's worked out fine.

A lemon lasts me about a week. I set it cut side up in a small cup so it stays upright, and cover it with a scrap of plastic wrap right on the lemon itself so it doesn't dry out. That way I can cut off a slice each day and still not have the lemon lose its juice and flavor while it waits in the fridge.

I like a root beer and a Dr. Pepper now and then too. My favorite pop is Mountain Dew but I have about one of those a year since my doc put the kibosh on that a few years ago. Now I mostly drink it if we're on a trip and I can't seem to wake up very well. All that caffeine it in is good for something. Can't drink it after noon or I'm up all night though.

I have a one-quart glass pitcher I use for lemon water sometimes, too. It's cute and decorated with lemons on the glass, so it looks pretty and encourages me to drink more water. I make limeade in that, too.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I drink diet coke but I try to lay off it when my kidneys start to hurt.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'll have a soda or two a month, and it's usually Pepsi. Caramel Coloring is in an awful lot of foods and drinks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts