1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Good article and I agree with you in that I agree that we are looking at it going deeper than a recession.:laundry:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree that it is going to get much worse than just a "recession" I've thought this for the past few years, but anytime I'd mention it people would laugh at me. They don't seem to be laughing too much lately these days...

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I agree that it is going to get much worse than just a "recession" I've thought this for the past few years, but anytime I'd mention it people would laugh at me. They don't seem to be laughing too much lately these days...

I agree but us frugalites are ahead of the pack

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think we are ahead of the pack....because we have frugal tendancies. I have had people at work tell me they can't believe the price of groceries these days. One woman went on to say how expensive her name brand: cereal, butter, cheese, tp, cleaner, etc... has become (she was naming some of the items she had seen increase in price). She said her weekly grocery bill had doubled. I just smile and nodded and made the mistake of suggesting trying out some generic brands. I got "the look" the one that is half disgust/half get real.

I didn't let them know that over 90% of my groceries are generic and 1/2 of those are from Aldi. I decided this person just wanted someone who she thought would also be suffering at the grocery store, since I don't make as much money as her. I am not suffering yet though and I have started cooking from scratch. At the time we were having this discussion I was eating my leftover sour cream and bacon crockpot chicken and this woman had a take out lunch and must have dropped at least $10 on it, she also began complaining about the price of her take out.

Clearly she's not someone who wants an answer and therefore she will have a harder time with the price increases on other items as well. A lot of people I work with make around $7,000 to $12,000 more a year than me on average. I am administration and they are case workers. I can't believe how spoiled and out of touch many of those I work with have become over time, with decent incomes and in most cases decent dual incomes.

I don't envy the masses that don't know how to fend for themselves in a struggling economy. I have been struggling so long that I have developed ways to cope and move on, no matter the money situation. These people can't give up their "luxuries" which include daily take out and their name brand groceries.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think this is truly the answer to ward off a deep dpression:

What prompted Parks's pessimism is his assumption that the "right-wing ideology" prevalent in the White House will keep Washington from acting to ward off a major depression. A fan of famed British economist John Maynard Keynes, who called for major government spending programs to remedy the Great Depression of the 1930s, Parks would like the federal government to step up outlays to fix rickety bridges, repair pot-holed roads, improve schools, and more to provide more jobs, more income, and thus more spending to cure any economic downturn.
I've been saying Keynesian economics rather than the corporate elitsim allowed to run rampant since the Reagan years, is the answer and always will be the answer to a strong national economy.
The trickle down theory hasn't worked very well, has it? Just got to have a strong foundation or the house just falls down every time.

Some say this is just a temporary recession. But with the Fed stepping in each week to fund the banks, hedge funds and finanacial houses, it's just prolonging the fall, which will just more time to get fixed. The market will correct itself, sooner or later.

What's even more scary about this, is the fact that this is a global collapse this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts