1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Sometimes we do things that seem cheap for reasons other than frugality. The example of eating foods past expiration date being considered cheap. I hate to waste food so would consider doing this, not necessarily only for cost reasons.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. For me frugality isn't just about money, it's about not being wasteful. And we know a lot of food (especially dry goods) don't suddenly go bad on the date stamped on the box.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree. Frugality is about not wasting. I'm willing to pay more for something that is better quality and will last.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I don't necessarily agree about the stuff on the 'cheap' list. To me, cheap is getting other people to pay their way in some way or other, like taking extra condiment packets at restaurants, mooching off parents or friends, etc. If you're doing something like eating food that's outdated, that's your own business and not for someone else to judge.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I don't agree with the cheap list as it's listed in the article. Calculating part of the tab down to the last cent is a bit much but the rest aren't terrible. Well, not leaving a tip at all is rude, more than cheap. But giving a gift I know I won't use to someone who will is frugal. Otherwise it's just going to sit there and be useless. One of my sisters would not only re-gift, she would send the gift back to the giver as if it was a gift she herself bought. Not a "sorry, I can't or won't use this" deal.

I agree with SD's definition of "cheap". Although I include buying things simply because it saves a few dollars, despite the fact that it will need to be replaced within a few months or the year. A 'disposable' mindset to shopping.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I don't necessarily agree about the stuff on the 'cheap' list. To me, cheap is getting other people to pay their way in some way or other, like taking extra condiment packets at restaurants, mooching off parents or friends, etc. If you're doing something like eating food that's outdated, that's your own business and not for someone else to judge.
This. In a nutshell. I know I do a lot of things that is or would be considered "cheap". Like for an example my using store plastic bags for trash. To me... maybe not others... it's a no brainer. Why should I use ( and pay for ) bags when I get them "free" at the grocery. Also on the plus side I fill easily and get the crap out of the house quick instead of waiting to fill a white garbage bag or taking it out not full. I'm quite sure that's considered cheap and I really don't care. I've reused made coffee grounds especially when the first pot for whatever reason was on the strong side to begin with. I reuse those with half the "new" fresh out of the cannister. I would definitely regift.
I think and SD said it well... cheap is when you cheat or take advantage of someone or someplace else. My mother always said better my pocket than theirs. I agree totally with this whether it's a little bit on gas or using coupons. I'd rather keep it in my pocket.
Also as CH said... it's also about waste. More in landfills etc. I'm not a "green" person but I try where I can.

Reactions: ermadunk

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
You're certainly not alone about using shopping bags for trash. It's so common there are bag holders just for those bags. We have one that hangs inside a cabinet door under the kitchen sink. We also have a little trash can made to hold the handles of the bags. We use that to collect cat litter.

I regift, if the gift is something I know the recipient would want.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I usually keep some empty grocery bags in the car for various reasons. I use them when I harvest veggies and herbs from the garden. I may not keep them there when I get them home, but I use the bags to collect them. The grocery bags are easily compacted for stowing in my pocket as needed.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I fold some in triangles to compact them and keep them in the truck. They come in handy for lots of things. One always hangs from the glovebox door for trash as we travel.

We don't usually use our cloth bags when we shop while travelling. We have limited space in the camper so no good place to store canvas bags. The plastic bags we get from shopping go in a dispenser and get reused for our trash, which usually gets taken out daily.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Being that I love all things vintage, retro, and old-fashioned, frugality has always gone hand-in-hand with my daily living.

Frugality for me (in a sense) is my daily bread.

Love the survey!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I'm frugal. Must admit that at times I have been cheap. But cheap is just so negative, you know? It's taking advantage of others or not carrying your own weight. But frugal? Now that is altogether different. Frugality just goes along with my conservative personality.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You're certainly not alone about using shopping bags for trash. It's so common there are bag holders just for those bags. We have one that hangs inside a cabinet door under the kitchen sink. We also have a little trash can made to hold the handles of the bags. We use that to collect cat litter.

I regift, if the gift is something I know the recipient would want.
I am the same ..isn't that what the plastic bags are for and here most places you pay for them now so yes they get used. think it would be nuts to throw them away and then buy bags for garbage.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
We generally do use canvas bags for shopping, but if we're low on plastic ones I will leave my bags home and get the store bags. We don't go through trash bags of any kind very fast, so don't need many.

I have at least a couple dozen canvas bags. Quite a few of those also have spare bags stuffed into their pockets. We shop out of town every so often, and I often use all of them then. I even have a giant bag I can stuff all the empty bags in. It keeps them corralled in the back of the truck. I've gotten this shopping bag stuff down to a science. 😁

The best thing about avoiding store bags is we can put 3 gallons of milk into a bag and not worry about it breaking, or put heavy tools in sharp plastic packages in my bags and know nothing is going to get sliced open, or drop a 15 pound bag of bird food in a bag with handles so it's a lot easier to carry.

Last time I did a big shop at JA, I took along a huge Mountainsmith bag. It doesn't look big when it's all folded up. I whipped it out as the clerk was starting to ring up my giant pile of fabric and said, "I'm ready!" It just cracked her up. My stuff filled the bag, but I could easily carry it to the truck with no risk of flimsy handles breaking and dumping my stuff in the muddy parking lot. Love any Mountainsmith stuff. 🙂

I won't be giving up my shopping bags anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
My canvas shopping bags usually end up being used for storing the yarn for my crochet projects. I have a more durable canvas bag for the WIP I keep in the car. They make it a lot easier to find the yarn I need for my project, particularly the wool-blend projects. I ball the wool-blend yarns so they're ready for us and it's easier to just keep them in the bags.

I use the plastic grocery bags for shoes during the winter. This way I don't get my work shoes wet, walking from the parking lot to the building and back.

If I get paper grocery bags, I use those for used tea bags that I plan on composting in the garden.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Our canvas bags get used for temporary storage sometimes, too. I have bags designated for crafts. That's a whole different thing than our shopping bags.

I got a new shopping bag at GW yesterday. I can't say we desperately needed it but we will put it to good use.

A lot of my bags are task-specific, so may require pockets or tops that can be closed or other features.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts