Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to my brother's house. They usually do Thanksgiving dinner and I do Christmas. I am going to cook my own turkey as well-I hate not having any leftovers? What is everyone else doing?

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I'm cooking everything. There will only be 5 of us, but we'll have alot of leftovers. I'm making turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, and pie (banana toffee).

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Well I am cooking here on Thanksgiving, then the following day we are going to my Moms to celebrate there, we are going to be stuffed like Turkeys! :)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm cooking here at home, but also making 6 extra sweet potato casseroles to take to family which we visit in the afternoon after dinner.

Hubby may have to work on Thanksgiving, so it may be just myself, DD and single BIL for dinner. Oldest DD and her family will come by later. They eat their main dinner with her hubby's family, but they spend Christmas eve, morning and dinner with us.

I've already cooked a complete Thanksgiving dinner for the church's PrimeTimers dinner this past Thursday, so I have some leftover turkey in the freezer I can pull out and reheat. If hubby has to work, I will bake a 12 lb turkey, if he doesn't, he will fry it.

Oh, and before you start feeling sorry for hubby working on Thanksgiving, the Savannah Port has Paula Deen's restaurant, Lady & Sons, cater to the guys if they work on Thanksgiving & Christmas. LOL, he gets to eat all he wants, and I get to hear about how good it was. Feel sorry for me :weeping: , LOL

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I usually do most of the cooking for Thanksgiving with some help from my mom and my sister. We've one out of town this year and wl be having Thanksgiving with DH's family. I'm a little out of sorts by this .... it just feels strange to not be bakng and prepping. (Probably going to have to break down and at least do some baking)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
This will be the first time in 32 years that I am not cooking...... Going to be at my girls house in Il. I get to be waited on...... yeah I do have a turkey in the freezer thro.
Fern

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We are going to my parents for Thanksgiving. My brother is going to be home from Iraq on leave, so it'll be a treat for my mom to have all four of her kids and my son home.

I did get a turkey (FREE WHEN I BOUGHT A HAM) that I am going to cook, along with rolls, and the stuff for sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
We are going to my Mother's house for Thanksgiving. She makes the Turkey and Dressing and the rest of us bring stuff to go with it.

T

·
0 Posts
We'll be going to a restaurant with DH's family, and then to my aunt's house.

Since I always get a craving to cook the whole dinner myself, we'll be hosting a turkey dinner for our friends on Dec. 2nd - the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatos, squash, bread, rolls, gravy, apple crisp, and pecan pie.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
We're cooking Thanksgiving dinner here. It's just going to be 4 of us so there will be leftovers to pack up and have later on.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'll be doing most of the cooking over at my mother in law's house. I'll do the turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls, corn, dh's mom will do the green bean casserole and pretzel salad. One of my sisters is bring corn bread stuffing, my other sister is bringing appetizers, his sister is making dessert. I can't wait!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm cooking everything.
Originally my parents were going to come like they do every year.
Then my mom called and said if they were in their new house by Thanksgiving she would like to have it. So, I said ok.
Then she called again and said that my dad's best friends father is basically on his death bed and "since they consider my parents family" they want to go there for Thanksgiving because he might not make it another year.
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am cooking the dinner for both of us. I got an 18 lb. turkey, will have vermicelli soup, mashed potatoes and gravy, stove top dressing and maybe some homemade dressing, candied yams, deviled eggs, hot rolls, overnight jello salad, cranberry sauce, Pumpkin bread and pie with cool whip. Maybe a relish plate like usual but probably not.

I am trying to cut back :hungry:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I'll be cooking here, and doing pretty much all of it. . . my mom isn't able to do it anymore, and my sis. . . well. . .she'll show up, hopefully sober. . . . my boys and their SO's. . . Jake will be here, but his SO is in WI for the holiday. . . Doug is in Korea, and his wife will go to her parents. . ..

So-- I'll do all the cooking. . Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, homemade noodles, green bean casserole, feast day cookies, several varieties of pie (at least one pumpkin), brownies. . . whatever else I get made.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We always eat Thanksgiving dinner (evening) at my MIL's house.... it's the one time a year that my BIL comes home from TN. For that one, I'll bring my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies-- MIL likes to make the entire dinner herself, but doesn't mind if I bring something small like the cookies.

We'll also be eating lunch that day at my parents' house... another traditional meal. By the end of the day, we will be stuffed and very sleepy! :)

The Sunday after Thanksgiving I'll have my dad's side of the family here for a bridal shower/ football party in the afternoon, and a belated Thanksgiving dinner in the evening. I'm making a ham, and everyone else is bringing sides.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
We are going to the inlaws. I'm not sure what we will be contributing. It's usually something like chips & dip or something simple like that because we have to drive four hours to get there.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
We're going to a friend's house this year. I'm going to make the stuffing, pumpkin and pecan pies. I used to do the whole meal with ham and turkey and have people over, but this year it will be a little different.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This will be my second year doing the whole sheebang. Dh will help with cooking the turkey. I make cornbread dressing from scratch. I'll also be having mac 'n cheese, green beans, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. It will be my husband, my father, my grandmother, and I.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts