Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am! I do every year, I just can't bring myself to feed the Hallmark-machine.

I made these heart shaped chocolate boxes from instructables (can't post links yet :sigh: )
instructables.com/id/Make-a-heart-shaped-gift-box-for-Valentines-Day/

Small ones for the two boys and a big one for DH. I used stuff from my never-ending stash for them. I'm filling them with homemade chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate peanut butter balls. I have these little mini-cupcake liners that are Valentines themed. No idea when I got them but they'll go to good use now! The only thing not in my stash is the strawberries. I'll have to wake up before everyone to make them so no one knows what I'm up to! :rollsmile

Reactions: madhen

·
19,119 Posts
I'm making gifts for friends, co-workers and the office staff - and having a great time doing it!! My preschoolers give these gifts every holiday at school - great way to teach them to love giving!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
little j & I made bookmarks for his classmates. This will be much more useful than little square fold up cards. :toothy:

I'm going to *attempt* to make chocolate covered pretzel rods for school also. For both boys classes.

Hubby & I, not a huge holiday, it's more for kids - but we give each other a card. :) Either hand made or computer made. He usually opts for computer made.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll be making something for DH :heartsm: and DS :heartsm:. It will either be cookies, brownies or candy......not sure what yet. I'll probably also make cards for each of them. I have to go through that cards stash first because I may already have something for each of them in there.

Our anniversary is on the 11th :smooch: so we've agreed just to give each other a card and save the $$ because finances are extremely tight right now. I have planned a very nice dinner for that night already, unless my step-daughter :heartsm: and SIL :heartsm: give us money to go to dinner like they usually does each year. :rose: :present:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Valentine gifting

This year my son (age 6) is very into giving his teachers and friends gifts for holidays. Can’t afford that, really. So since I’ve recently become a stay-at-home mom, been looking up craft ideas for holidays. Here’s what we came up with for this Valentine’s Day:
Walgreen’s, last week, had individually wrapped, heart-shaped, chocolate marshmallow filled candies for only 29cents, Valentine’s gift bags 8 for $1.00. There are about 8 adults in his weekly life that we will get one candy in the bag along with the card we will make. See this site for card ideas: Valentine's Day 2011 - Valentine's Day Ideas and Activities for Kids | FamilyFun

We are going to make this card, with our own variation—it will be one sided, left blank on back for him to write a message. Too much work to make it like the picture :) Valentine Craft: Stained-Glass Hearts | Valentine's Day Card Ideas | FamilyFun

For his friends: I’m sure everyone out there knows that buying Valentine’s Day cards that kids trade from Dollar Tree or some dollar store—so that’s a no-brainer probably. He picked out Spiderman themed ones this year.

DH and I celebrate by giving cards and he is instructed that I NEED flowers! So he always obliges (but he knows not to spend over $6.00 for flowers and not roses- I don't think they last long; so I ask for alstromeria or daisies [a bunch of daisies on sale this week at Publix]). I usually surprise him with something he hardly ever has for dinner - like shrimp. It's not obligatory that we eat together on that day.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I make DH a heart-shaped cake for Valentine's Day and I may do it again this year. DS7 said he wanted to make valentines but he always forgets, so I got him ones that were on sale. :) I also give DH some "special time" where we do things that we'd normally not do with the kids around, like watching something or just talking.

·
19,119 Posts
Think I will surprise DH by making him a special dinner this year - now to figure out what's on sale and what will be a treat!!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Reactions: sweetsinger912

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I guess I will be making a valentine after all! my ds's girlfriends little sister was so excited she had my son bring me a little valentine card with a piece of candy on it. How cute! I had planned on making heart cupcakes as part of my theme dinner but I guess I'll make a little card to send with her cupcakes :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I usually send out E-cards to closest friends and relatives. I call my parents and send them ecards. My boyfriend and I usually don't make a huge deal outta Valentine's day because my birthday is two days later and he likes to make birthdays a big deal. I'll send him 1-2 Ecards as well as making him some kind of card. He'll probly make me a card or buy me one. I think this year I'll be making him something special though... dinner or cookies or a cake or something tasty.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
-special dinner and cake for my family
-heart shaped sugar cookies for the kids to decorate
-have about 10 boxes of cards the kids can choose fromfor their exchange at school (I got them a few years ago for 9 cents/box)

That's all we do though. We don't do gifts because we think alot of the holidays are becoming too commercialized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.