Frugal Village Forums banner

Are you more or less opinionated as you age?

320 views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  SewCrafty 
#1 ·
I find that the older I get, the less opinionated I am.

When I was in college (just a few years ago!) I was known for my debates, my protest marches, and that sort of thing. I was especially involved with ProLife activity and some other political groups/ causes. I was never a screamer and always took reasonable action, but, still, it was active and you knew where I stood, whether you wanted to know or not. Now, I more or less politely express my opinion- I just don't have the argumentative streak I used to have. My "activism" is more like writing letters and working at fair booths, rather than marching and doing more visible things.

Online, it's especially difficult- I now find myself worried about offending people when I express a strong opinion on something. Of course, online you don't have the benefit of face-to-face conversation and expression-- sarcasm is pretty hard to put into type!

Is this just a natural course of maturity, or am I getting wimpy in my old age? ;)

#2 ·
I think I'm more opinionated as I age. I was very shy and kept opinions to myself when I was younger,now I could care less what people think when I express my opinion because it's just that...MY OPINION!

I also think sometimes it's hard online to express an opinion or joke with someone. I've haven't lost any online friends because of what I've said but I feel I've lost the trust with some people.
Sometimes it's hard to know when people are joking or being serious.

#3 ·
I don't think that I am more or less opinionated but I am definately more outspoken as I have aged. I have pretty much the same opinions and ideas but where as a younger person I was not able to voice them, I am more confindent and articulate as an old woman of (cough, gag, spit) 40 and not worried that I will sound stupid or rude when I voice them. :D

#6 ·
I am more opinionated and outspoken as I get older......

#7 ·
I think I am more opinionated now than when I was younger. I also think I am better able to state my opinions. I think raising my kids made me this way. I feel like I need to have a clear opinion on alot of things so I can guide pre-teen ds around the cow patties of life (when I can)

#8 ·
My ideas have changed & grown as I have and I do have opinions on many topics.Sometimes I voice them sometimes I do not. That brings me to another good trait~ Wisdom.

There are many good things about getting older. I like being more comfortable in my own skin, growing & learning a thing or two along the way is how I got there.

#11 ·
I've always been strong willed and have had my own opinions on many subjects!:) However, with age, I am learning that I can express them in ways that I hope are not offensive to others. I've also become much more conservative since I have had children and my opinions reflect that.:)

#12 ·
I wanna add to my post,or rather change it,however you wanna look at it... LOL!!

I may be more opinionated and outspoken than I use to be,but I never say things to hurt peoples feelings (not intenionally anyways)rather I have an opinion or not.I just don't like hurting people's feelings :)

I think the above post made it sound like I would say anything to someone rather it hurt their feelings or not..thats not true. I'd rather keep some opinions to myself if I think it may hurt someone.

#13 ·
I've become more opinionated I think, but I pretty much keep my opinions to myself or in my family most of the time. I'm looking forward to being one of those little old ladies who speaks her mind and gets away with it because of her age, lol :toothy: (just trying to figure out how old I have to be to get away with it, lol)

#14 ·
LOL Dana!! My grandmother was like that.She'd tell you what she thought in a heartbeat and could care less if she hurt your feelings or not.Everyone just said to overlook it..she's old.

Gosh I miss her so much!!!!

#15 ·
Young or Old I have been Opinionated! If I did not have at least one ---shall we say? difference of opinion? every day--they might just as well put me out to pasture! :toothy:

#16 ·
NO Mom NOT YOU!!! :laugh:

I have become more vocal in my opinions as I get older, but my opinion on most things has not changed I just say them out loud now instead of holding things in! :D

#17 ·
Do I not speak the truth Deed????????????:toothy:

#18 ·
Oh yeah!! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.