Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about nuts? :D
Got your attention, eh?
Hubby received a huge can of mixed nuts for Chrismas and it got me thinking about how much I enjoy them and am eating them more often in the past couple years & not just for snacking.

My favorites are cashews & pecans with walnuts coming in 3rd.
I've been using them more & more in my recipes. Mostly in green salads, casseroles and stir fries.
What are your favs & how do you use them? Care to share a recipe?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I love them. I don't cook with them often, but like them in salads sometimes. But prefer not to add them to baked goods. I like tons of types like cashews, macadamia, pecans, pistachios, etc. If they're chocolate covered, I love them even more. LOL

We buy a few cans of mixed nuts throughout the year and sometimes buy them in the shell. Right now I have a bag of cashews. They said they were salted, but they don't taste salted to me. But it's not stopping me from eating them. haha

I'm not a big fan of walnuts. They taste great, but they make my mouth feel funny after eating them. LMAO

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yum! I love walnuts and apples mixed in chicken salad. Also, we mix them with cream cheese and a little Splenda or sugar and vanilla to mimic the pricey Panera spread. Chopped nuts, dried cranberries and blue cheese are my favorite in any leaf salad. I also add a handful of chopped nuts to pancake batter sometimes. Makes for a different texture and makes them seem even more hearty.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too love the blue cheese , cranberry walnut combo and use it in my "Fancy Pants Salad" with raspberry vinaigrette & it's oh so so good.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My favorites are almonds, English walnuts and cashews. I like Brazil nuts too but can only eat a couple at a time because they are so rich. I like filberts (hazelnuts), pecans, pistachios, all kinds.

We buy shelled nuts in bulk. I roast them and make nut butters. I add walnuts to my bowl of hot cereal most every morning and usually finish off each meal with a few nuts.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention how we buy ours. Like you Daylilly I sometimes buy in bulk and find that you really do have to look around to find the best price. One day the "organic"bulk bins had peanuts for only 50¢/lb where they are often times much much more expensive. If you go to BJ's you might get a better buy but not always and in the market, I find myself really checking those unit prices. Nuts in their own section may be cheaper than the baking section & visa versa, it just depends on what product they need to move.

Oh I forgot to mention too one of my favs that I've only had once but want to have again Pecan Pie. How did I live almost 50 years without trying this?!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I love any salad that has candied walnuts or candied pecans in it. And I could eat my weight in macadamia nuts, just straight out of the jar....I really have to be careful about buying them because I have zero willpower! I also like the macadamia white chocolate chip cookies...A LOT :D

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Looks like I"m the odd one -- but we have black walnut, hickory and pecan trees on our property, so free nuts :)

I can't hardly eat oatmeal cookies or pumpkin bread without black walnuts anymore.

And here are a couple of my favorite recipes to make:

Black Walnut Bars

1 1/2 cups honey graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups black walnuts, chopped
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Pinch of salt

Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

Put graham cracker crumbs and black walnuts into a medium size bowl. Slowly add condensed milk and a pinch of salt. Mix with a wooden or plastic spoon. The batter will be very thick and gooey. Pack and press into a nonstick 8-inch square pan or 9 1/2-inch round pan.

If you don't have a nonstick pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper. Wet hands with cold water and smooth top of mixture. Bake 25 or 30 minutes. Let it cool completely before cutting. Wrap any leftovers in plastic wrap. This will keep for weeks and flavor improves as it ages.

Black Walnut Cake

"A triple layer black-walnut cake!"

FOR THE CAKE:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
5 eggs, separated
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped black walnuts
3 to 4 ounces canned coconut
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
FOR THE FROSTING:
3/4 cup butter, softened
11 ounces cream cheese, softened
7 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup chopped black walnuts (for topping)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease arid flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans; set aside,

Cream first 3 ingredients until light and fluffy; add egg yolks one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Set aside.

Combine buttermilk and soda; mix well. Alternately add flour and buttermilk to creamed mixture; begin and end with flour. Add vanilla, walnuts and coconut. Set aside.

Beat room-temperature egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form; gently fold into cake batter. Pour batter into cake pans.

Bake 30 minutes or until center springs back when pressed lightly. Cool pans on cake rack for 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely before spreading frosting between layers, on sides and top of cake. Sprinkle top with chopped walnuts.

TO MAKE THE FROSTING:
Combine all ingredients for the frosting except walnuts and beat well.

TO FREEZE AHEAD:
Cake layers can be baked ahead of time and frozen. Defrost before frosting.

Makes one (3-layer) cake, serves 12-16

HICKORY NUT CAKE

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,176,147191-248192,00.html
Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 c. sugar
1 c. butter
4 eggs, separated
2 1/2 c. flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped hickory nuts

Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks.

In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla. Beat vigorously until smooth.

Beat egg whites to stiff peaks form and fold into batter along with nuts. Pour into two greased 8 inch pans and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Ice with Hickory Nut Frosting.

HICKORY NUT FROSTING:

3 c. sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
3/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. crushed hickory nuts

In a saucepan cook sugar, corn syrup, water and salt over low heat. Stir constantly. when sugar is dissolved, cover and cook to firm ball stage. Remove from heat. Let set a couple of minutes. Pour into beaten egg whites, beating as you pour. Beat for 2 minutes. Fold in hickory nuts. Spread on cake.

PERSIMMON HICKORY NUT BREAD

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,174,155169-226199,00.html

Preparation of persimmons. Put ripe (soft and gooey) persimmons through colander to remove seeds. Put 1-cup packages and freeze. One can pack the pulp on half pint jars, seal and place in boiling hot water bath for 30 minutes, store and have ripe persimmons all winter.

Sift 2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon soda together. Cream 1 cup sugar and 1 1/2 sticks butter. Add 2 well beaten eggs and soda/flour mixture. Add 1 cup persimmon pulp, and 1/2 cup chopped hickory nut meats. Add no other liquid. Line 2 small loaf pans with waxed paper, divide batter for each. Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees. The bread is a moist dark brown, like gingerbread. Walnuts or other nuts, as well as spices as nutmeg and cinnamon may be added to suit taste, but the flavor changes.

HICKORY NUT COOKIES

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1710,144189-255194,00.html

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla

Beat until fluffy.

1 1/4 c. flour plus 1 tsp.
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. oatmeal
1 c. Rice Krispies
1/2 c. hickory nuts

Using 1 teaspoon dough for each cookie, flatten. Bake at 350 degrees. Watch carefully to avoid getting too brown. Mmmm!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I am jealous. We had a black walnut tree in our yard when I was growing up, and I LOVED them. (We also had an English walnut orchard next door, and many of the trees overhung our yard, so I didn't grasp the concept of paying for walnuts for some time.)

I have planted two English walnut trees, but they are still too young to produce. I would love to plant a black walnut, even though I might be dead before it ever gets to the point of producing nuts, only because the meat is SO rich and delicious!

·
8,714 Posts
~Walnuts are my least favorite. They make my mouth feel funny too! I do like ground walnuts to coat pork chops. I use mustard and sherry in the finishing sauce.
I have always loved almonds the best, especially in chocolate. Now as I'm getting older I prefer the nuts I grew up noticing the "old" people eat, pecans and pistachios. I like them roasted for extra crunchiness.~

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
My parents have a tradition every Christmas that they buy us girls a huge bag of mixed nuts that goes with our stocking. One of my favorites is hazelnuts.

I have great memories of sitting around our kitchen table cracking nuts for hours. :)

So for the moment I have a giant bag in my kitchen that needs to be eaten or used in recipes. :)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I can't have nuts right now, my braces wont let me. Even chopped ones as they get wedged into the smallest places of my teeth/braces and its painful.

But, someday again I shall have them! I dislike walnuts, I love almonds, macadamia, cashews, pistachios, peanuts (preferably covered in chocolate otherwise they're kinda boring) and for any walnut recipe I just substitute a nut I prefer. I have not tried plain pecans but I love candied ones.

I have never tried pecan pie. The filling scares me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I like black walnuts too. I like pecans but they make my mouth feel funny. Walnuts don't do that to me. I like peanuts but a few years ago they started to make my stomach hurt and burn; peanut butter does too. Last year DD had to stop eating them for the same reason.

I also love roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dh and I, after deciding we were living deprived lives for never having tried pistachios, became huge fans of them after I took a leap of faith and purchased us each a bag for our Christmas stockings. I consider my 36 pistachio-less years on this earth to be mostly wasted for not having discovered them sooner.

Ok, I'm exaggerating. A little.

I'm nuts about macadamia nuts, cashews and almonds, both roasted and smoked. I loooves me some smoked almonds!

Although I like pecans in baked goods and such, I find them to be rather 'meh' plain. However, I LOVE them prepared as such:

Pecan Kisses

1 egg white
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 c pecan halves

Beat egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla. Fold in pecans. Place each coated half on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn off oven and let stand until completely cool. Store in airtight container.

Yum!

Reactions: Darlene

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
too bad there's not a spot we could automatically "favorite" on 1 person's post. Good recipe's up above...
We buy unsalted almonds. I have a handful with my coffee for a quick bkfst & hubby takes them to work to eat with lunch. Nuts are good for you, esp almonds & walnuts. But, my fave would be cashews & macadamia.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Pecan Kisses

1 egg white
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 c pecan halves

Beat egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla. Fold in pecans. Place each coated half on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn off oven and let stand until completely cool. Store in airtight container.

Yum!
I have quite a few pecans in my cupboard, I am definitely making these tomorrow. Thank you :)

Macadamia and pecan nuts are my favourite - I tend to put them include them in as many cookie recipes as I can get away with. These were the last nut infused cookies I made:

Chocolate chunk pecan cookies recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Om nom nom.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Steakhouse peanuts, plain old peanuts in shell in bag, smoked or roasted almonds.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I giggle every time I see the title of this thread. And each time, I think "well, it depends on who you ask!"

Thanks for the smile, I definitely needed it today. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.