Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been much talk on here about Stockpiling and being prepared. BUT are WE prepared? Are we prepared for the emergency of the refrigerator or the freezer going out with alot of our stockpile in it and no money in our emergency funds to buy another one?

Every month usually twice a month we shop for cans(canning jars). Whether it be in the grocery store, flea market, junk shop what-have-you. The same goes for rings and lids which are cheap and will fit on jars other than just the canning jars.

You can save anything in those appliances with just a little fore thought. Cheese as well as butter/margarine can be canned just like meat, vegetables and fruit.

Are WE prepared?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
There has been much talk on here about Stockpiling and being prepared. BUT are WE prepared? Are we prepared for the emergency of the refrigerator or the freezer going out with alot of our stockpile in it and no money in our emergency funds to buy another one?

Every month usually twice a month we shop for cans(canning jars). Whether it be in the grocery store, flea market, junk shop what-have-you. The same goes for rings and lids which are cheap and will fit on jars other than just the canning jars.

You can save anything in those appliances with just a little fore thought. Cheese as well as butter/margarine can be canned just like meat, vegetables and fruit.

Are WE prepared?

I have alot of questions for you..could you tell me how you can meat? do you make stuff like beef stew or chicken noodle soup and can that to? I have no clue on this..however I went and spent $50.00 on a canner and jars..TIA..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have alot of questions for you..could you tell me how you can meat? do you make stuff like beef stew or chicken noodle soup and can that to? I have no clue on this..however I went and spent $50.00 on a canner and jars..TIA..

Beef Stew-14 pints/7 quarts

4-5 pounds beef stew meat*
1 tablespoon oil
about 12 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
about 16 small carrots sliced
about 5 stalks of celery- I do not add this. don't like cooked celery
about 4 small onions-I do not add this. don't like cooked onions
1 1/2 Tab.salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper

cut meat into 1 1/2" cubes. yea right!! just cube it. brown in the oil. Combine meat, vegetables and seasonings into a large saucepot. I use my stew pot. Cover with boiling water. Bring stew to a boil. Ladle hot stew into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles.(gently take a knife and run it around the inside of the jar along the edge) Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds of pressure.

*I use cheaper cuts of meat and since you actually recook the food I just put it on a low to simmer after it comes to a boil and the meat with almost fall apart.

The best canning book IMO is Ball Blue Book of preserving. I believe it is 5.95...Don't quote me on that but if memory is correct that is what I paid for the new one that I got last year.

Reactions: Brat

·
Registered
900 Posts
I know a person who cans browned ground beef in canning jars. You can also can your chili or soups to use up the meat in your freezer.

This did happen to us last winter. Our old freezer was given to us by my in laws when they got a new one. It was very big and very old and a little less than half full when it went out. I was able to save pretty much everything except a few veggies from our garden and MIL's garden. I cooked a turkey and a ham - made a full Christmas dinner feast in February!

What I had in the freezer at the time was mostly meat. I was able to move most of it either to the freezer in the house or the refrigerator to cook it up and eat. There were a few things that I put in a cooler on the back porch...because it was cold enough outside to keep the stuff frozen. We got a new freezer within a few days--we did buy it one year same as cash on our Home Depot card. We paid it off long before the year was up. But, I feel it was needed and somewhat of an emergency because I consider the meat in my freezer to be "frozen assets" and I did not want to lose my investment! We save so much money on groceries by having the freezer. The new one is a little smaller and packed full, so another bonus is that it runs more efficiently.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I need to get a canner, pronto! I'm always looking for jars on sale or free. I dry alot of my veggies and I buy canned veggies too. The same thing goes into a can of green beans as I would can at home. Water and salt.

I know how to can, I've done it with my dmil and my mom, I just haven't gotten my own.

I make my own onion flakes, dry my garlic, tomatoes and squash.

I'm not totally ready for anything but I'm fair enough along. But not ready to say "yeah, I'm ready for anything". I don't know that anyone is.

Reactions: freyadog

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
no clue how to can....so that's gonna happen. But as far as purchased can goods go, I'm a fair amount along.....probably 2-3 months worth. No way am I totally prepared though.

Reactions: freyadog

·
Registered
737 Posts
When I do stockpile, I focus more on food have a long shelf life and don't require to be put in the freezer or refridgerator since their a risk of losing pwer then have to throw away the food that's in there.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
My stockpile is adequate now. A few holes, but they are not critical ones.

If the freezer went out, I would be able to replace it.

Extended power outages are very rare here. The last I remember was probably 8 or 9 years ago. Mine was back up in a couple of hours, but some were without power for around a week - it depended on where you lived in the city. I doubt I would be on the "2 hour" list where I am now. However, I don't consider that a huge threat since it is so uncommon. If it happens, well, I'm up a creek - and I'll be eating a LOT of chicken very fast! Canning is not on my agenda. At all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Canning is definitely on my agenda :)

I've just bought an All American canner. I'm a little nervous about it though. I've only ever waterbath canned, but want to be able to do stews and soups too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Connie, where did you get your canner?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Don't you need electricity to use the pressure canner? If so, the meat in the freezer would still go bad, just you would still have meat to eat while in an emergency... right?
I am interested in canning. It's on my 'to do' list but have no funds yet to purchase one...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I need to get a canner, pronto! I'm always looking for jars on sale or free. I dry alot of my veggies and I buy canned veggies too. The same thing goes into a can of green beans as I would can at home. Water and salt.

I know how to can, I've done it with my dmil and my mom, I just haven't gotten my own.

I make my own onion flakes, dry my garlic, tomatoes and squash.

I'm not totally ready for anything but I'm fair enough along. But not ready to say "yeah, I'm ready for anything". I don't know that anyone is.
How do you make onion flakes?
Also, how do you dry chives? I have a bunch in my garden.. We've cut them down twice already to use in spaghetti sauce and they grow back.. I just don't pull them up. I would like to take advantage of them since theyre really the only thing doing well in my garden and dry them so I can continue to use them throughout the winter...

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I have no clue on canning so nope I guess I wouldn't be prepared. However dh is a big hunter so fresh game could actually be eaten and not given away.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have a dehydrator that dh got me several years ago. I slice them and seperate the rings, put them on the trays and dry almost 24 hours. I like mine because they actually give a great onion flavor to whatever you put them in. Chives would be quick to dry I would think in a dehydrator. You can also dry outside on screens and in your oven.

As for needing electricity to can, we have a propane stand alone cooker that can be used to can with. Lots of ladies and a couple of men use their's for canning when it's so hot. In fact several of the older ladies who still can do most of it outside, they actually have tables and burners for use outside.

Freya, none of our farm suppliers have anything like a canner and the hardware store had 2 Presto canners. Dh thought they were a little lightweight.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bought an All American 921

Even though I live in Canada, I have a US shipping address so I got mine from the States.
I bought it here and they were great to deal with. Even called me to verify that I placed the order since it was on a Canadian credit card and being shipped to the US.
http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamerican921pressurecanner.htm

For any Canadians not on the border & don't have a US shipping addy, you can buy this canner here..... and they have free shipping. I've not purchased anything from them though, so not sure how their customer service is.
http://www.citychef.ca/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=18068

I also use a dehydrator. My sister got one and never used it, so now it's pretty much mine, LOL!! Been dehydrating green/red & yellow peppers.

HTH,
Connie

*edited to correct spelling and fix links

1 - 20 of 32 Posts