Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eating foods high in calcium? We need to be watching the amount of calcium we take in as we begin to age so that we don't end up with broken bones when we are older. My mom's friend is forever breaking a bone because of not getting enough calcium when she was younger.

There are lots of great foods that have calcium in it. It is found in milk and dairy products, sardines, green leafy vegetables. It is also found in almonds, asparagus, blackstrap molasses, broccoli, cabbage, carob, dandelion greens, goat's milk, soybeans, tofu, turnip greens, watercress, and yogurt.

So if you can tolerate these foods, eat lots (except the milk and dairy products).

I'm not taking any calcium tablets but am eating lots of the above foods in order to keep my calcium level up. How about you.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am taking 2 calcium tablets each day. This was the recomendation in the "Eat, Drink and be Healthy" book I read a while back. I am pretty much not eating any dairy, and take calcuim to ensure that I get enough.

·
FV Buddy aka KathiBob
1,651 Posts
I used to take calcium pills but, haven't the last year or so. I do drink lots of nonfat milk and I love dairy products.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Not me!!!:( My Dr. did recomend that I take 1000 mg. of calcium a day and Vit. D too!! I don't drink milk very often but I have made big changes in the way we eat~all for the better!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, I now take 1500mgs of calcium a day and 800mgs of vitamin D a day. I fell down and hurt my back a few weeks ago and they discovered in the x-rays that I have bone loss. I was totally shocked!! I have always felt healthy and thought I was getting enough calcium.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I take coral calcium which absorbs much better into your body. My Dr. said that those tablets and hard pills really are not that effective:eek: So he recommended the coral calcium. I also eat organic yogurt and eat cheddar cheese and drink organic milk.

·
Registered
248 Posts
both. I just got my first bone density test and I'm above normal in density thank goodness. 0 is the norm, and I was on the plus at .7 or most way up to a one.

I was worried, I use a cortisone inhaler at times, am a long time coffee drinker (helps the asthma) and I don't drink milk.

I do eat cheese and yogurt though and I take 2 of the Jamieson Calcium and Magnesium with Zinc tablets per day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts