Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I was just wondering what your experiences are with family and friends and their views on homeschooling. We have some family members who have been very supportive, others who started out against it and have come around and still others who feel that now that the boys are entering their high school years that we need to put them back into public school (not going to happen). Of course there are always those that think you are "warping" the kids for homeschooling them! LOL!
For us, the benifits of homeschooling have been immense and my only regret is that we did not start homeschooling earlier. I'm off to take the boys to a writing class with another homeschooling family and then to a meeting while all the kids in our homeschool co-op play. They need that "socialization" you know!:toothy:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Support - NOT!!!

My mom thinks were doing the worse thing we could with our kids and thats homeschool.

My oldest son is a junior high teacher and heaven forbid that his mom should homeschool the youngest kids, especially when he spent all those years in university and his mom didn't!!!

I have friends though that support us 100% and are there for us, encourage us and agree, homeschooling is the best thing we could do for our kids. I'm thankful everyday for those friends.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well, my dh's parents were pretty much against it at first but now they seem quite happy with it. My extended family has always thought it was great and of course most of our church friends think it is wonderful too. A few of dh's co-workers think we are extremely weird :toothy:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi there,

our family and friends have been very supportive. Some do say they could never do it themselves but agree that both my daughter and I are well suited to the task/lifestyle. Those that may not be as supportive (if there are any), know me well enough to keep their negative feelings and remarks to themselves. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a mixed reaction...and we haven't started homeschooling yet!

I have a SIL who was a 'back to the Earth' kind of Mom...now her kids are 11 and 7 and she works for her school dist. and NOW she says the hsing is BAD!

I'm in a weird situation. We just adopted Shane 7 weeks ago. I'm homeschooling for several reasons. #1 is so that I can bond with him more. We just met him 16 months ago! #2 is that we have a 4 year old we hope to adopt. T will get a label the minute he walks into that school door. He's a little hyperactive, but ALL boy. I don't want him to go to school without knowing what's in store. I think that Shane can 'teach' him how to be a student. And it will get T-who might also get a LD label-a little edge. #3 reason is because I went to college for 3+ years to be a special ed teacher. I think I can hande teaching them how to add and read! NO ONE has raised the 'you're not college educated enough' line yet. Well, one distant relative did....and I told her that I was going to use a "classical education approach that will bring Shane one to two standard deviations above the norm when it's time for him to take standardize tests....oh, and did you want to discuss WHY T (who is African American) was not going to take such a biased test?" I then said that I covered how to teach in college. She shut up.

Shane had an IEP when he first came into foster care. On paper, he was a mess. Now that he knows things like STABILITY, LOVE and gets proper and regular meals, he's totally BLOOMED. I started detangling him from his IEP last fall when I realized his teacher was BAD. (Left the room for 20 minutes and left the one aid in charge...20 kids in the class...all have IEP's.) Then they told me that they wanted to teach him how to 'be a leader' and they wanted him to communicate more. Well, my son is NOT a leader type. That's OK with me. DO NOT change his personality. And how can he learn to communicate when there are 6 NON VERBAL kids in the class AND he's a watcher and they don't call on him????

What's really funny is that Shane has an itinerent Teacher (my concession for getting him out of the special ed classroom) that comes to the house for an hour...kind of as a tutor. When I told her that I was hsing int eh fall when he goes into Kindergarten she said "GREAT!" She has since brought up a few good cirricula that she thinks I should look at. She's a WONDEFUL woman...she reads Shane's Sunday School books with him and she said that on his adoption day that she was praying for us. I'm sure that if the school district heard that we talk religion that she'd get fired.

Just stay strong and who cares what others think?! We're the ones who have to go before God at the end of it all and we have to say that we did our best by our kids. Not them. US.

Tonya

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Carolyn its great to have your perspective on this has a grandmother. So many books I've read on homeschooling talks about these issues and so many are like you when the kids first begin homeschooling, but within a few years begin to realize that homeschooling does work. Thanks for sharing how you felt and now feel.

Tonya - all the best as you begin the journey of homeschooling. I homeschool 3 special needs kids, so if you ever feel stressed or need to vent, your welcome to pm me at any time. Also if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to say thank you to all of you who took the time to respond to my question. It's great to hear the various ways people respond and to get a grandparent's perspective also.:) You have all blessed me!!!!:angel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts