Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm slowly changing my socks out to three types:

black no-see-ums
black crew socks
off-white crew socks

This handles all but one pair of pants/shorts I can wear, including suits. The only one these socks don't cover is my greenish pair of khakis. For that pair of pants, I have a few pairs of greenish socks. I don't bother with dress socks, mainly because they are so thin they fall apart quicker, as well as they don't feel as comfortable.

This saves a lot of time, as I don't have to pair up socks anymore, and I have enough pairs (and outfits) to go 6 weeks without doing laundry.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm slowly changing my socks out to three types:

black no-see-ums
black crew socks
off-white crew socks

This handles all but one pair of pants/shorts I can wear, including suits. The only one these socks don't cover is my greenish pair of khakis. For that pair of pants, I have a few pairs of greenish socks. I don't bother with dress socks, mainly because they are so thin they fall apart quicker, as well as they don't feel as comfortable.

This saves a lot of time, as I don't have to pair up socks anymore, and I have enough pairs (and outfits) to go 6 weeks without doing laundry.
6 weeks without doing laundry? Wow.

I get a bit nervous we (he) will run short if I don't do laundry every other day.

Hubby has three dress pants for work and four dress shirts.

·
8,714 Posts
~I liked the article but I'm one of those weirdos who likes organizing socks. :p
We keep it simple around here, DH's work socks are also his casual and sport socks. He has 4 pairs of dress socks. I have dress, casual and sport socks. I don't wear any hose or fancy stuff. DD has hand-me-down fashion socks. DS gets Hanes sport socks. The baby has 20+ pairs but they fit in a quart zip bag. The rest of us have about 60 pairs combined. I think that's pretty good.
To save money on socks always buy at least two pairs of the same socks. That way if/when one goes missing or develops holes, thinning or damage you're still able to make a pair and won't have to discard a good sock because it's mate is unusable.~

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I have six pairs of socks. One pink pair, one blue pair, two pair I made and two pair of white socks. It's not that often that I wear any, usually when I go out. And tha't just sundays mostly. Other wise even in the winter I am in my sloggers without socks.

Reactions: imagine

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I don't even want to think about how many pair hubby has...all up to his knees in white or black...a few pair diabetic ones. About every single pair of the same color can be matched to another pair.
My socks and the kids socks...Mine are almost all black either no show shoe or ankle. Kids are white.
how many pair in the house...guessing about 75 give or take. I don't want to have to wash clothes just because someone needs socks. That's a waste of time, electric and washing powders.

·
Registered
501 Posts
What a great article. I will confess to having two baskets of unmatched socks that I haven't taken the time to sort/match. This article really hit me hard in a good way. I need to get busy and take care of the little things that can end up being a big deal.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
6 weeks without doing laundry? Wow.

I get a bit nervous we (he) will run short if I don't do laundry every other day.

Hubby has three dress pants for work and four dress shirts.
My father in law gave me a pile of dress shirts, and I haven't really changed shape in 10 years, so I've got plenty of dress shirts. Working a desk job, I usually wear the same pair of pants for the 4 work days. I've got a few pairs of jeans, plus sportpants to fill up the rest of the time. Pajama pants and sleeping shirts are in abundance, so no issues there. I made sure I had enough pairs of socks and boxers to last the 6 weeks.

Once I discovered how much I like only doing my laundry about 8 times a year, only spending one day each time, I knew I'd never look back. My wife does her own laundry, much more often. I just let her know a week in advance when I'm going to have to do mine. Once we have kids, we'll have to reassess the laundry situation.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have socks for 1 week of laundry: fresh pair for work, fresh pair to sleep in. I have 2 thick slipper sock pairs for the weekends while the socks are in the laundry.

On my wish list is a pair of "dress socks". My bf bought me MaryJanes and I don't like the bright white socks showing up through strap. Looks funny to me.

I also don't own any hosiery. On the rare occasion I do need hosiery I buy a pack and hoard it until it finally gives out.

In my job we are allowed to wear jeans, I'm frequently under desks and countertops hooking up computers, its really dirty under there. I'm on my feet a lot, up and down flights of stairs, I don't dare wear anything too dressy or heels. So its white soft socks and tennis shoes for me.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
How funny, I just cleaned out my sock drawer tonight and I have no idea how many but it's not a lot. Dh's socks is another story.

·
19,119 Posts
I don't own any socks. DH has black ones and white ones enough to last at lest two weeks even though they are watched more frequently.

I do have a bag of mismatched or unwanted socks that I am taking to school to make puppets with the preschoolers.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I would say there are about 125 pairs of socks/hose in our house with probably about 25-35 of them in the small necessity stockpile tote.

The boys play sports, I work out, and hubby does not sit at a desk so we go through a lot of sock washing and wearing. They are pretty basic though. All the guys have 1 or two pair of dress socks which will last them YEARS. I think hubby's had the same two pair since before we were married (which is fast approaching close to two decades). Then they all have white socks, somewhere between 6 and 10 pairs each. Each one with thier own kind but we try to stick to those types so when one moves on to it's second life as a rag, or stuffing, or a dog toy ect., it's mate can find a new partner. Then there are the soccer socks. We have them in every color. They are the part of the uniform the schools let you keep and that build up with years of rec leagues and extras from hubby coaching. (They also hold up VERY well and are really warm.) As for me, I have a few pair of white socks(about 4 pair), a box in my sock drawer that probably has about a half dozen pair of knee-highs and two pair of stockings (work) and then my FLUFFY socks (about a dozen). I request these as gifts and wear them at home all the time. Sometimes they get worn with shoes but they are more like slipping into comfy pjs for me and one of those small luxeries that I don't mind telling someone I want when they ask.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ok, I don't really get it... I read the article yesterday & again today. Guess the title just didn't work for me. Maybe its because I love socks... white ones, fuzzy ones, colors to match certain shoes, patterns & holiday ones too. I definitely have too many & guess I need to see how much I've invested in them to get how poor they're making me.
I really like some of the other articles & can see how organizing keeps us from throwing money away. Guess I just like sock too much.

G

·
I thought it was an interesting idea to apply some home organization/frugal principles to your socks - but the article overall didn't do much for me.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Ok, I don't really get it... I read the article yesterday & again today. Guess the title just didn't work for me. Maybe its because I love socks... white ones, fuzzy ones, colors to match certain shoes, patterns & holiday ones too. I definitely have too many & guess I need to see how much I've invested in them to get how poor they're making me.
I really like some of the other articles & can see how organizing keeps us from throwing money away. Guess I just like sock too much.
I believe the point is to stop and be aware. Nice, dress socks can run $3 easily per pair so if someone is just buying them out of habit it can be a drain on the budget as much as a morning coffee at the coffee shop. I believe the point is to watch this category as well, because its easy to just pick up a cute pair or a package of them without realizing you already have plenty. Are you taking the money out of a clothing budget each time or just throwing them in the cart without thinking and accounting for the purchase? Just food for thought.

That was my take on it.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I believe the point is to stop and be aware. Nice, dress socks can run $3 easily per pair so if someone is just buying them out of habit it can be a drain on the budget as much as a morning coffee at the coffee shop. I believe the point is to watch this category as well, because its easy to just pick up a cute pair or a package of them without realizing you already have plenty. Are you taking the money out of a clothing budget each time or just throwing them in the cart without thinking and accounting for the purchase? Just food for thought.

That was my take on it.
That's what I got from it too.

Right now we each have enough to last about 2 weeks. I have white anklets and fold down socks, Dh has all black sport socks, ods has grey sports socks, twins have white sports socks and dd has all different colours(grandmas love to buy them for her). When they go on sale I buy a few pkgs and put them away until needed.
Everyone having their own kind makes folding laundry alot easier and if one gets a hole I can easily put it with another sock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.