Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my calculater has new batteries and stilll it is acting weird. it worked fine earlier today. here's the problem I am trying to solve:

11.95 + 15.95 - 20% = ??

it tells me 39.50

I know that's not right because 11.95 + 15.95 = 27.90. so somewhere with its figureing percentages it is having problems. Do you know what is wrong?? Do you know how to fix it?? I have tried pushing the reset button and it gives me the same answer.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
The answer is $22.38.

11.95 + 15.95 = 27.90

Multiply 27.90 by .20 = 5.58

27.90 minus 5.58 = 22.38

HTH

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it'll figure it out this way, but the % button must be possessed or something because it just told me 94.00 when i tried to add 6.4% (our tax rate) to the total. :toss:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
argh and double argh!!! I could have taken it back to the store if dh hadn't thrown out the box and manual!! The trash has been collected, so i can't save the box either! :censor: darn calculator!

LOL, I am having a bad week and this machine is the icing on the cake. Sigh. Tomorrow starts a new week. I hope my luck gets better starting tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I'm sorry you are having a rotten time with your calculator. I never could figure out how to use the % button, so I still do it the old fashioned way! :laugh:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diana, I can do it faster it seems by using the old fashioned way too. For whatever reason the % works if i am adding % to the total, but not if i am subtracting it. :confused: I have given up on the calculator and will just use pen and paper, LOL.

Want to hear something funny?? I was trying to figure out a total and needed to know what percent such and such a number was of another number. I got out my scratch paper and began to use (drumroll please) ALGEBRA formula!!! LOL I always wondered when it would come in handy! :D

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Melissa,

I use algebra all the time. I used it this morning, I only wanted to make a half recipe and used it to figure the amounts out. I also use it a lot when I'm sewing. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts