Frugal Village Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
No, no heebie jeebies........just reinforced my thinking that other than the 'hot water thing' the one thing that would help if everything QUIT being anti-bacterial!!!!

WE NEED SOME BUGS..........to develop our immunity. I think
that is creating more problems than admitted to in any reporting.

I use powder........and will continue to do so until it totally disappears. And use hot water on everything I can.......plus if I don't like the temp. of my 'warm'....and I remember to check it......I will put some hot in with it. Harder on clothes??? Probably, but I can afford to buy more clothes better than pay a hospital bill for Mersa.

Agree with other poster............WASHING HANDS PROPERLY is probably the most important thing we can do.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I do all my wash in cold water with powder detergent. I think what I will take from this article is to do my kitchen towels separately. We have so little laundry that I struggle to find enough things to make a load (I usually just divide into darks, lights, and sheets).

I don't consider e.coli on my regular clothes a problem. It's only a problem if you eat it. I've had e.coli before and it put me in the hospital, I'm not saying it's not serious, but it's literally EVERYWHERE. Killing the ones on your clothes isn't going to get you very far. I got e.coli from take-out, incidentally.

(I've had everything else in that article too - norovirus, MRSA, and dozens of UTIs - but none of it was ever caused by my clothes.)

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you want to wash with hot water, try hooking the hot water line to the cold water inlet of the washer and wash with "cold".

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
If you want to wash with hot water, try hooking the hot water line to the cold water inlet of the washer and wash with "cold".
Uh...

what?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i think everyone would be amazed at how dirty our clothes still are after washing. My washer quit and i started using tall buckets and plungers. WOW i was amazed at how dirty the water got almost instantly! That shows you that the washers dont clean the clothes as clean as what we think they should be!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Greebs - you ARE a little fuzzy in the head this morning! There were a couple posters above that mentioned that they couldn't wash with HOT water because of their machines...thus my post. Sorry if it's too far out-of-the-box for you this morning :(

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Greebs - you ARE a little fuzzy in the head this morning! There were a couple posters above that mentioned that they couldn't wash with HOT water because of their machines...thus my post. Sorry if it's too far out-of-the-box for you this morning :(
OH I see - yeah I had a rough weekend - far too much overtime.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I am more concerned about the shady practices going on with our food in this country than getting sick from my washing machine.
Growing up as a kid in Vermont we ate veggies straight out of a garden grown in manure and dirt and didn't get sick. Of course the cows were fed only grass and not pumped full of antibiotics and hormones. We never even heard of the things that people are dying from now. Also hospitals are much dirtier than any washing machine. We have residents come back from the hospital that are sicker than when they left the nursing home.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts