Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
National Inflation Association

One of the things mentioned was "hoarding food" and I thought to myself, "is it hoarding if I'm going to use it?" I'm new to stockpiling, after this article I started to feel like I am the grasshopper that screwed around all summer instead of preparing.

Anyhow, just threw it here for discussion. :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Here is my two cents in the discussion:

This article is by the same people as the End of Liberty Video mentioned and discussed here at FV few times.

Based on their alarmist video style I can see why the article would make one feel like a grasshopper that screwed around all summer.

I personally am going to take this article with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Hi krbshappy71

Thanks for sharing. In my opinion knowledge is power, so if you can take anything away from any articles , research , online or IRL that will benefit your family in any way shape or form you will be blessed for it. Prices are rising, some commodities or prices have not hit the stores yet. Investors are seeing it, some consumers are seeing it. Is it the end of the world as we know it, I don't believe that but I do believe in being wise.

I just saw in commodity news that sugar rose immensely in November for commodities that will translate to higher sugar prices eventually. If India has a good crop then not too bad in prices if not will be much much higher. Prices in the grocery stores don't normally reflect for awhile. McDonalds, starbucks and others all commented this week they are raising prices. Will that affect me? Not so much I don't go there.....now basic items like coffee, cocoa, sugar and wheat are going up, will that effect me? Yes , so to save myself the dollars and headache I will stock up on those.

Stocking up when things are on sale would be prudent and wise in my opinion no matter who sounds the warning.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am not going to change my ways really but then I usually have enough food, meat. vegetables to go 6 months if need be..This way when a really good buy comes up I can add to it and not have to change much..I usually shop once a month and when I open the next to the last item I will put it on the list so that I have a lot of time to replace it. This way I am not spending a lot each month but still have enough to go for a while. and can keep stocked up.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
One of the things mentioned was "hoarding food" and I thought to myself, "is it hoarding if I'm going to use it?" I'm new to stockpiling, after this article I started to feel like I am the grasshopper that screwed around all summer instead of preparing.

Anyhow, just threw it here for discussion. :)
The idea of hoarding and your thought above caused me to ponder the topic as I remembered anti hoarding laws during WW2 from history class.

I looked up hoarding laws on the net. It appears that there are state level hoarding laws active today. One site said in Hawaii you were only allowed one weeks worth of food that site only mentioned Hawaii and said you could check on your individual state by searching your state laws. There were also sites that said hoarding was hard to define was it quantity of food or monetary or motive.
Many of the sites also mentioned that even though it wasn't a hoarding law that the federal government does have the ability in a national emergency to take all resources including private and public food for the betterment of the people as a whole.

It was quite interesting the information out there on the net. Of course I believe you have to take almost everything you read and filter it though what you know and the source it comes from.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
The idea of hoarding and your thought above caused me to ponder the topic as I remembered anti hoarding laws during WW2 from history class.
I wonder if that was more along the lines of the rationing seen in that era rather than hoarding. It could be just the verbiage of the law as it was written.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I wonder if that was more along the lines of the rationing seen in that era rather than hoarding. It could be just the verbiage of the law as it was written.
One thing the net mentioned was that it was very hard to determine the definition of hoarding. One definition was buying more than your share like that rationing. one definition was buying and holding with intent to resale. another was having on hand more than your share without intent to share.

It was interesting reading some of the LDS sites because they store food. Including the Bishop's food storage. It was mentioned this wasn't hoarding since they would not turn anyone away that wanted/needed food.

Reactions: HappyMama

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I looked up hoarding laws on the net. It appears that there are state level hoarding laws active today. One site said in Hawaii you were only allowed one weeks worth of food that site only mentioned Hawaii and said you could check on your individual state by searching your state laws. There were also sites that said hoarding was hard to define was it quantity of food or monetary or motive.
Many of the sites also mentioned that even though it wasn't a hoarding law that the federal government does have the ability in a national emergency to take all resources including private and public food for the betterment of the people as a whole.

It was quite interesting the information out there on the net. Of course I believe you have to take almost everything you read and filter it though what you know and the source it comes from.
Wooahhhhhh....I did not know that. I'll be surfing the web tonight about it.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
END QUOTE

Goes back to another thread " Do you keep your stockpile a secret".
All the more reason not to publicize it...my opinion.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

I think you are being wise , frugal and saving money and not hoarding .....so I wouldn't worry to much ,unless you have two to four storage units full and wipe out all the stores in the area....:) Especially since most of us use our pantry food with the month :)

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you are being wise , frugal and saving money and not hoarding .....so I wouldn't worry to much ,unless you have two to four storage units full and wipe out all the stores in the area....:) Especially since most of us use our pantry food with the month :)
hahaah, well I do have that unfinished basement I keep whining about. maybe its time I put it "to work". shhhh!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I just have to say there will always be grasshoppers who expect , there will always be those who are jealous of the people who are wise with money. Please don't panic about being wise, getting out of debt and not just wanting to pay full price.Don't be like those refusing to see the signs of the times, prices rising and common sense . Be wise fellow ants, don't panic not the end of the world but prices will rise.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
There is lots of interesting stuff on the web but note that some can be alarmist like the end of liberty video and article you started this post about.

Don't panic.

And my personal belief is that if the world became in such a tight shape that the government felt the need to come get food from normal private citizens anything I had would have been long gone from sharing with others as I'm sure there would have been a great need way before they felt the need to do something like that.

I personally feel that hoarding would be if someone was shopping or selling or storing which causes harm to others or themselves. I think trying to buy more then your ration during WW2 would of been hoarding as it would have been essentially taking food out of others mouths.

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
In all seriousness K, yes there are alarmist videos and things on the web, ignore don't panic but well quite frankly I don't understand the hublu you can find rising prices in your grocery store, on coupon boards, in Bloomberg, the Wall Street Journal everyone has their definition of what is alarming.

If you are someone always in debt ( not referencing anyone here in general ) then reading the Wall Street Journal will be alarming. Just saying. So...with that said read my above post again and find the information that will make a difference in your family, help you make good wise decisions.

I could look at a crime report as alarming but you will bet your sweet dollar if I am looking for a house in a certain area and someone points a report out I will read the alarming report and make my own decisions.

So don't panic, if this alarming video makes anyone panic, well go read elsewhere see commodities rising, don't panic and Chose....Chose to ignore, chose to buy a few at a good price and stock up, chose to get coupons, chose to see what works for your family. Being all adults I really see no one scared or panicked here at someones video or group . That is just me. I have plenty of friends that have a pantry like I . Do they hoard? NO! I have plenty of couponing friends that stock up! Do they hoard? No! Many work for the gov. by the way and know the "hoarding" laws and don't consider their stash hoarding. On the other hand I have many that ignore and cry the blues later, love them just the same.

I don't mega coupon, and if I got good deals I would always donate to food pantries as I always did. I cook from scratch and buy necessities to do that, do I buy too much no . I spend so much less then the average family and my family eats well, in order to do that I have to garden, can and have some flour hanging around. To each his own. If in doubt about rising prices see Mc Donalds quote this week, see the coupon boards. Are people panicked? no just life. Deal with it or don't all in the choice. I love learning ,sharing and also see anyone who takes food away from anyone in a rationing situation as hoarding and mean... But we are not in that situation and well quite frankly never want to see that in my life time.

So to each his own , choices be made, don't panic, be happy and fiscally sound .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.