Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are ten money and time saving tips to help you in your kitchen.

1. Use those leftover slivers of soap to cut expenses! Cut a small
pocket in a sponge and place small slivers of leftover soap into it
for a sudsy washing sponge.

2. Hold a scouring pad underneath a sponge when scrubbing. This will give you a better grip and protect your hands.

3. Save time on the dinner dishes. Before serving dinner, run a sink full of very hot soapy water. When everyone is finished eating dinner, tell them to wash and rinse their own plate.

4. Use a paint scraper or putty knife to remove baked on or cemented goo from stovetops, countertops or floors.

5. Use a toothbrush to scrub hard to reach surfaces such as behind and on faucets.

6. Baking soda makes an excellent scouring powder.

7. By keeping a spoon rest on the stove, you'll avoid a lot of messy clean-ups.

8. Place sticky (honey, syrup, molasses and oil) containers on
plastic lids in the cupboard or fridge to avoid sticky messes.

9. To get odors out of plastic containers, place crumpled newspaper inside the container and seal it overnight.

10. Keep a fillable wand near the kitchen sink and when you have a few spare minutes, wash a few dishes with the wand. This may help you cut down on doing full loads of dishes.

©, 2001, Monica Resinger

Monica Resinger is editor of Creative Home, Creative Gardening and Creative Home Money ezines. Join one or all of these fun and
informative e-zines and get answers to your homemaking, gardening or money questions! Our readers are sure to have an answer for you. One informative article is also included in each issue. For more information, go to: http://www.geocities.com/plantldy.geo or send a blank e-mail to the appropriate address to join: [email protected] [email protected]

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Just wondering here...do you think that dove soap slivers would be okay to wash dishes with? Do you think that it is the same stuff that we squirt out with dishsoap???

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
"Save time on the dinner dishes. Before serving dinner, run a sink full of very hot soapy water. When everyone is finished eating dinner, tell them to wash and rinse their own plate."

I can hardly get them to put them near the sink.........

Robin, dove it pretty gentle and pure........

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
smnoel said:
Here are ten money and time saving tips to help you in your kitchen.

1. Use those leftover slivers of soap to cut expenses! Cut a small
pocket in a sponge and place small slivers of leftover soap into it
for a sudsy washing sponge.
I don't know if I could do this. I don't think our household soap would work or be ok to use on dishes.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I put those slivers of soap in the toilet brush container with water. I have one in each bathroom, and it makes it very easy to swish out the toilet in a hurry. I learned this from the cleaning lady at the hospital I used to work at.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
That's okay pip. That's a great tip and safer if the baby finds the toilet brush :rolleyes: I'm going to do that.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Some great ideas - thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts