Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the book, here is a video of the authors walking you through a recipe/the concept. I have an old ice cream bucket with the dough resting on my countertop right now. Baking my first loaf for dinner. Does anyone have the book? How did it work out for you?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I was just looking at a similar recipe today that I had saved from Frugal Village - (Debbie's Artisan Bread). I haven't tried it yet because I am wondering it I can use freshly ground whole wheat flour + wheat gluten instead of the white flour. I'll be interested to hear how your bread turns out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was just looking at a similar recipe today that I had saved from Frugal Village - (Debbie's Artisan Bread). I haven't tried it yet because I am wondering it I can use freshly ground whole wheat flour + wheat gluten instead of the white flour. I'll be interested to hear how your bread turns out.
They have a Health Artisan in 5 recipe:
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day Whole Grain Master Recipe from “Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day” using Vital Wheat Gluten!

It does call for white flour as well as wheat. I don't know how it would turn out with all wheat flour. I do know that when I've made the NY times no-knead bread with all wheat flour, it doesn't rise as high. However, when I make it with all white wheat flour, it turns out fine. So, if you have white wheat flour, maybe you could try that instead of the white flour and than the bread would 100% whole wheat!

Reactions: RaineyDaye

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I have the book and have tried the basic loaf several times, and the pizza dough.

IMO, it's not much different than any other bread recipe. Flour, yeast, let it rise, bake it.

The difference is in the concept that you don't HAVE to knead to get bread gluten. It's not something these folks invented, but their book does a good job of getting it across to the home baker. They have you mix a large batch of dough and store it in the fridge, and your "5 minutes" consists of taking some out and shaping it. Let it rest, heat the oven, and in an hour or two you have fresh bread.

I've kept their dough up to two weeks in the fridge with good results.

Reactions: Paws

·
4,028 Posts
I have enough for 2 more loaves in my fridge as we speak. Mine turns out well but the crust doesn't stay crisp. ..... Ok, I forgot to put water in the pan ...doh ... LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts