Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched as some people have grown older and they seem to have never lost any brain cells. They've remained active, have taken up new activities that stretch them and make their brains work, such as word puzzles, going back to school, learning a musical instrument, learning a new challenging hobby, volunteer, etc.

Then there are others who sit around, watch menial programs on tv, read romance books that haven't much to say, etc. and seem to have grown old before my eyes. They can't seem to carry on a conversation, have no interests around them and just seem to go from day to day doing nothing.

What are you doing, as you age, to keep those brain cells working?

Thoughts!!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have started doing crossword puzzles. I am also learning more on my work computer. Hey, I get paid for it and don't have to work the desk since it's not on my regular schedule, so why not?:toothy:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I homeschool, need I say more :D lol. Trying to keep up with 9th grade algebra and English is enough to keep my gray cells smoking! I also read several books a month and try to learn new things on the computer.
Lisa, I too have been trying to re-learn the flute :cool: , I don't seem to have as much breath as I used to, lol.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I plan to think less and just be a goofy old lady. I want to make my grandchildren laugh and think I'm mentally off. (shouldn't be difficult to convince eh?) I plan to do silly crafts like knitting cat fur and wear ridiculous clothes. I want to make one baked good recipe really well and make it often. Then they can refer to me as Butterscotch Granny or Crazy Cookie Granny or something like that. I want to collect something like african violets and have so many that it's just too many.

I guess to keep my mind sharp, I can read the National Enquirer and share all the latest news like it's all true. lol

Seriously, I just hope I get older.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sara :laugh:

I just read an article last night in one of dh's woodworking books about an 87 year old lady who scrollsaws. She took it up at the age of 80. She also rides her Harley motorcycle, with a sidecar, plays the mirimba and 3 other musical instrustments and is still going strong. She said she can't understand why seniors sit around doing nothing. She also volunteers at a couple of local spots where she lives!!

It was really interesting to read and actually I'd love to be like her when I'm 87.

All I know is that I don't want to be like some seniors who sit around, complaining constantly and being bitter at the world, kwim, driving their kids crazy and doing nothing with their lives just because they feel they have a right!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've become interested in doing the Dell Logic Puzzles. You can get them at just about any book store or even some grocery stores. These logic puzzle magazines have puzzles for the beginner to the very good logical puzzle thinker. I like doing crossword puzzles too; my gran who lived to be 97 always loved doing crosswords up until she was about 94-95 and had difficulties with her vision. I think these sorts of mental challenges help keep one's gray cells working!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Julie, I love the Dell Logic problems. One of my math teachers in high school gave us logic problems periodically for homework and I have been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Besides going to work in the software field where everything seems to change daily I have started back reading. I read both for pleasure and to learn. I am reading Dr. Phils new book and as starting Walden and other writings by Henry David Thoreau. I also came across the knitting I was doing last winter today ( I was teaching myself and getting pretty good) so I am going to start working on that again too. I think as long as you are always looking forward and have not written you life off your mind will continue to grow even as it grows old.--PS I don't consider myself old at 37.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
homesteadmamma said:
Sara :laugh:

I just read an article last night in one of dh's woodworking books about an 87 year old lady who scrollsaws. She took it up at the age of 80. She also rides her Harley motorcycle, with a sidecar, plays the mirimba and 3 other musical instrustments and is still going strong. She said she can't understand why seniors sit around doing nothing. She also volunteers at a couple of local spots where she lives!!

It was really interesting to read and actually I'd love to be like her when I'm 87.

All I know is that I don't want to be like some seniors who sit around, complaining constantly and being bitter at the world, kwim, driving their kids crazy and doing nothing with their lives just because they feel they have a right!!
I completely agree. I wonder what I'll be like. I'm not the most outgoing, so I hope that I don't sit and watch tv. I am not an athletic type, so I won't be doing line dancing or golf.

I'd like to think maybe I'd be in a bridge or bunco group and just laughing it up once week. Have a book club or something maybe.
My grandma did crafts and puzzle books a lot. I don't like puzzles now, so am not sure I'd like them later.

I start to think about what could I do that I could do ok if my eyes or hands weren't what they are now, ya know?

Gardening comes to mind as something I wouldn't ever grow tired of.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Julie, my dd loves those logic puzzles too :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts