Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not for me, but for my nephews wife. I found out 6 days ago that she is going through her 2nd bout of Guillain-Barré Syndrome. She is such a beautiful, sweet, caring woman in her early 30's with a 2 year old son. She has been in ICU for the past 6 days on a ventilator (as she is having a hard time breathing). She is in good spirits and such a trooper. She recovered well from the last bout (but does have some facial paralysis). We are hoping and praying this time will be the same. The first 4 weeks are the worst.

Here is a little background on the syndrome. If you would..... please keep her in your thoughts.

Guillain-Barré (Ghee-yan Bah-ray) Syndrome, also called acute inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy and Landry's ascending paralysis, is an inflammatory disorder of the peripheral nerves those outside the brain and spinal cord. It is characterized by the rapid onset of weakness and, often, paralysis of the legs, arms, breathing muscles and face. GBS is the most common cause of rapidly acquired paralysis in the United States today, affecting one to two people in every 100,000.

It typically begins with weakness and/or abnormal sensations of the legs and arms. It can also affect muscles of the chest, face and eyes. Although many cases are mild, some patients are virtually paralyzed. Breathing muscles may be so weakened that a machine is required to keep the patient alive. Many patients require an intensive care unit during the early course of their illness, especially if support of breathing with a machine is required. Although most people recover, the length of the illness is unpredictable and often months of hospital care are required. The majority of patients eventually return to a normal or near normal lifestyle, but many endure a protracted recovery and some remain wheelchair-bound indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with her. I hope she gets taken off the ventilator and recovers soon.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Sending good thoughts and prayers for her, God Bless and keep us posted :hugz:

·
Registered
818 Posts
My good thoughts are w/ her and her family.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
She will be in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sending good thoughts and prayers and wishing her a speedy recovery.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka TraciBob
1,840 Posts
I will certainly keep her in my prayers

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Prayers and healing sent her way.

Thanks for the explanation of what the syndrome is, this must be very frightening to live with.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much. As of this morning there is no change :(

·
Registered
586 Posts
Many prayers to her and her family.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts