Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is not to your satisfaction- or do you tell the waitress everything's fine, eat it anyways and then complain the whole way home?

Since our favorite Mexican Restaurant in this area is now out of business, last night, we went to another one we had never been to before. My encheladas were fine, but the beans and rice were cold and my plate had a huge crack in it. DH's food was hot so he thought the food was great. I told the waitress everything was fine (as I always do) because I've heard horror stories about sending food back and the cook gets insulted and adds "extra ingredients"- if you know what I mean. I know that's rare- but it does give all chefs a bad rap.

I remember being in restaurants with my grandparents and my grandfather would send things back 2 and 3 times. Not only was it embarrassing for me and my grandma to watch him make a stink over something petty (like he wanted his gravy on the side, and they put it on the food). And this happened everytime he went out- so what's the point of eating out if you're just going to be a malcontent about everything. Save your money, stay at home and be happy.

So since I don't even want to be like that and have extra ingredients in my food, I never say anything. How about you?

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I usually request the meal be adjusted on my bill. If there is a salad bar, I'll grab that instead.
I won't ask for a replacement.

I have a rule of thumb...lol
Never trust a place that refills your drink and gives you the same glass and straw back. ;) Ok, so that has nothing to do with replacing meals, but it's a standard I use for selecting restaurants. :toothy:

I have heard some pretty gross tales about restaurant employees. An example, in NY there was a burger joint. Everyone loved their pickles. The pickles were held in a vat and you just grabbed some and put them in a little cup. I so won't even say what the secret ingredient was in that pickle juice. :puck:

Take note....they would refill your beverage and return your glass and straw too. :D ;)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Ewwwww, Sara! I send it back if it's really not edible. I can't remember the last time I ate out though.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
The only thing I send back is steak... it's too expensive to not be cooked to my liking!

Otherwise, I'll usually eat what they send, but I do tell the waiter/manager if I don't like it. Sometimes they'll adjust the bill.

·
27,948 Posts
smnoel said:
I have heard some pretty gross tales about restaurant employees. An example, in NY there was a burger joint. Everyone loved their pickles. The pickles were held in a vat and you just grabbed some and put them in a little cup. I so won't even say what the secret ingredient was in that pickle juice. :puck:

Take note....they would refill your beverage and return your glass and straw too. :D ;)

:wave2: NY'er here. Where in NY?:yucky:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sara- how do you ask them to adjust the bill? Like since 2/3 of my meal was cold- I should only pay 1/3 the price? I don't know if I'm outspoken enough for that- can you come with me to show me how it's done? LOL

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it is something minor, I won't say a word but if my potato is cold or my vegies are cold, then I will ask for hot ones. I will rarely let them take my plate back. I will slide the whatever onto the bread plate and send it back with them.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
After hearing horror tales, no I would not send food back. I don't know if it's an urban legend, but I heard a restaurant in metro Atlanta was sued for "adding extra ingredients" to their food.:puke:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I usually say everything is fine. I have heard the horror stories too and am scared of what they will add to my food. :eek:

Ok Sara what was the secret ingredient???

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Nope!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I can eat almost anything, but I will say something occasionally. I got a hair in my Chinese food one time--long, black and straight. Mine is very wavy, blonde and short! I sent it back and the chef made me a new one (it was one of those places where you could see the food being made). I also like my steak RARE and once got it well (shoe leather!) done. I tried one bite and decided I couldn't eat it.

The only time I have gotten a free meal (didn't even ask for it!) was when I got a big box staple in my food!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
The only thing I remember sending back was a salad that had a peice of glass in it :eek:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I rarely send anything back. It has to have a hair in it or be spoiled such as a lobster dish I had a while back. I threw it up. lol Too bad, it was their fault.

Dh is never satisfied with his food when we eat out. He also wants his food cooked a certain way at home. He nearly always embarrasses us. We quit eating out for years due to the fact that he was never satisfied. He even calls back pizza places if they make a minor mistake and tries to get a free pizza. Usually he does but it's so embarrassing and we usually have an argument about it.

I like my meat cooked anyway except I don't like it cold. It's atleast gotta be warm.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have been in food service management for over 20 years and I have to tell you I have only seen that happen 1 time..... Someone spit in the food, the food was thrown away and that employee was asked to leave at once and terminated !!!!!! In my experience, if you have a ligitimate gripe, the management wants to know about it and fix it for you... If this is not the case where you are eating .... DON'T GO THERE ANYMORE!

·
27,948 Posts
After all these stories it makes me think that we all should treat ourselves with special dinners at home. Save money & who knows what else. I know we'll be stuck with the clean up but cooking can be fun with your sweetie or even just by yourself using all those ingredients you've never worked with before. Shrimp, fancy sauces are all something you can do. If your intimidated ask for help here & someone might know what to do or help you figure it out. Light those candles set a fancy table & enjoy!

How many of you warm the plates (when you are having no cold foods ) at home on a regular basis? We do and it just takes a few min while you set the table or what ever. Small thing that gives your dinner a little something extra.:)

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I heard pickle stories too...the employees in a pickle factory out in Western Mass used to pee in the vats. Yes, pee! :puke:

I don't usually send things back unless it's really bad, or I can't eat it. The other day we went out to lunch, and I asked for chicken parm without the cheese (because I'm allergic to dairy). Well, it came back to the table w/o the mozzarella, but they sprinkled grated cheese on it :rolleyes: I told the waiter I couldn't eat it (and I had told him earlier of my allergy). Turns out the GM who was garnishing the foods and put the cheese on there.

·
362 Posts
I send it back.

Alot of the restaurants I eat at have the policy of if you don't like it..we'll replace it with something you may like better.

I know this is bad but it gives me an opportunity to try something new, without having to worry too much about whether or not Iwon't like it...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts