Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning ...

From "Beano!" to "Bingo!"

It was December 1929. Most Americans were down on their luck, including toy salesman Edwin Lowe. Little did he know, prosperity was just around the corner.

In the course of his travels, Lowe stopped at a country carnival outside of Jacksonville, Georgia. Here, he was drawn to a crowded booth. Standing on tiptoe, Lowe caught his first glimpse of "Beano," the game that would make him a wealthy man.

Lowe watched as the barker pulled numbered disks from a cigar box. He marveled as the players scrambled to cover their cards with beans.

"I noticed that the players were practically addicted to the game," he said. Winners stood up and shouted "Beano!" Then, the hubbub started all over again.

Back in New York, Lowe decided to test Beano out on his friends. With some dried beans, cardboard and a rubber stamp, he managed to recreate the game he had seen at the carnival. He even managed to capture some of the excitement.

As legend has it, the thrill of victory left one woman completely tongue-tied. When the winning number was called, she jumped up and shouted, "B-B-Bingo!" -- a blooper that has echoed in bingo halls ever since.

Taken from Scotsman Community Publications, Finger Lakes Vacationer 2003.

·
27,948 Posts
Cool beans.:D I love reading the stories of "how things came to be". Good idea for a thread.

Some people really get into bingo. Bunches of cards,superstitions and good luck things.

Anyone ever go to a bingo hall?

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
Great story Diana!
The only time I've ever been to an actual Bingo hall was to give my sister (the Bingo Queen) a message. We did play Bingo on our cruise and I won something like $30 or so. :toothy:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never been myself, but every Tuesday night at the Fire Hall in my little town Bingo is played. They have prizes up to $500, it starts at 7pm but the doors open at 5:30pm!

What the heck do they do for 1 1/2 hours before it starts?? Everyone knows everyone else around here. How much gossip can there be to talk about every week?? :laugh:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, and the parking lot is usually PACKED!! :crackup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts