Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The extreme hyperinflation of food prices and the government budget issues in the US have me really nervous right now. Add to that the unease in the Middle East and it makes me think we could be looking at some very tough times ahead.

I'm stockpiling the food and getting ready to garden. I'm also making other preperations, like moving to a place with a yard and more storage space. I'm also looking to adopt a big dog as a security measure.

Is anyone else increasing their efforts right now?

·
19,119 Posts
We are upping our canned food storage and now I want to make sure that I have what I need to sprout also. Dried beans are stocked, but may want to up those too. Gardening is also a great idea - should be starting that within the next week or two at school.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It scares the bejeesus out of me right now. I really want to get into the emergency fund and go stock up big time.

I placed a small order for some MRE's and they won't ship for 7-10 weeks. Look at all the places you can buy emergency rations, they are all out of stock and backordered.

Really scary times we are living in.

Suzanne

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Yes, thinking ahead to a bigger garden this year. Trying to find dried beans in bulk at a good price.

I'd like to get in bulk

-cocoa
-sugar
-rice
-oatmeal
-spices
-flour
-baking soda
-baking powder

We will be upping our dehydrating efforts.

-need to get medical supplies in order
-and some sewing notions and some yarn
-Get the solar oven made

I'm busy, busy, dreadfully busy
You've no idea what I have to do.
Busy, busy, shockingly busy

We're busy, busy, dreadfully busy
You've no idea what we have to do.

Ha Ha, way too much Veggie Tales in my life. :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I'm trying like crazy!

At first it was 'just a few extra things" then it was multi-purpose foods. Now I am stocking up on hba and non-food items as well. Luckily I have been hitting sale after sale and saving a lot more than I am spending, but I am hoping to increase my efforts Friday.

I was looking at a freezer, but trying to figure out where to put things. At this point, I have pantry taken care of, it's the perishable/freezer items I want to really focus on.

I know that I tried to get a can of baking cocoa the other day as it was on sale. There was ONE can left. I find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that as soon as a list of things that will go up in price (cocoa being one) is already scarce. Leads me to believe that a LOT of people are finally listening.

I will try to garden again this year after have NO success last year. More containers, more chance of something growing. If it doesn't work, we are going to try to convert the bedroom walk-in in to a "grow room".

·
19,119 Posts
This reminds me that I need to check on our rice suply - usually have 20 lbs of white and 5 lbs of brown. Picked up 10 cans of veggies at WM yesterday. Need to clean out the linen closet downstairs and turn into into canned good closet.

Of course today's news upsets me, however, I will not let it run our lives. We plan on living smart and be proactive, not reactive!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Today's news???

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maui, are you referring to the unrest in Libya?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person buckling down and preparing for a financial siege.

I'm also spending a lot of time being thankful for my job, my less expensive and roomier new home, and the ability to prep. If this had happened a year ago I would have been completely at the mercy of week-to-week grocery prices, as I was unemployed and in the process of losing my home and car.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I've been trying to work on it. We've always had a stockpile but I'm feeling the need to increase it. If food keeps taking a bigger bite of my budget I'll need some wiggle room if we have a bad month. I've got beans, rice, some oats, flour, sugar, mac&ch, canned soup and ramen. I'm thinking or increasing the size of the garden too.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i think it is a good idea to prepare for disasters but i also feel

that overreacting can sometimes make things worse... I believe the closer it gets to 2012 december 21, media etc are going to make big hypes about things which will lead us into a world of chaos...I believe there are people out there that are going to take advantage of peoples fears etc and this also will cause chaos.....however i strongly believe that i will wake up december 22, 2012 and all will be fine at my little house...plenty of food, plenty of wood, plenty of whatever is needed to survive...i think preparing for what is to come is okay but life still goes on...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes, thinking ahead to a bigger garden this year. Trying to find dried beans in bulk at a good price.

I'd like to get in bulk

-cocoa
-sugar
-rice
-oatmeal
-spices
-flour
-baking soda
-baking powder

We will be upping our dehydrating efforts.

-need to get medical supplies in order
-and some sewing notions and some yarn
-Get the solar oven made

I'm busy, busy, dreadfully busy
You've no idea what I have to do.

We're busy, busy, dreadfully busy
You've no idea what we have to do.

Ha Ha, way too much Veggie Tales in my life. :)

I was stunned I went to stock up on my 25 pounds of cocoa powder and it doubled from last year. To are you ready for this ..... from 2.75 a pound to 5.39 a pound. Yikes..... Now believe me I watch the commodities and knew it was coming but still... I more or less stock my pantry:rolleyes: for those who scream hoarding...lol as we can't eat certain foods for allergies. We eat well and for a lot less then the "hoarding" screamers do at MC'Ds per month , sorry just gets old....lol So I tend to not answer certain ones anymore but this one is interesting as prices will continue to rise that is for sure. I will always admire those who prepare whether it is a budget, financial plan, menus, pantry stocking, bulk buying , gardening, canning, dehydrating, couponing and live life to the fullest then those who sick back spend every penny and complain. Though I know everyone here on this board tries their best it is interesting watching the ones in life that don't and the results yr after yr.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yes, we are upping our efforts. I just bought a dehydrator and am waiting not-to-patiently for it to arrive. We are re-arranging our pantry so we can store more bulk goods. I am looking into a wheat grinder. I am learning to do more from scratch - not just cooking, but clothes, blankets, etc.
Also, we have been trying to plan a garden. I have yet to be successful, however this year more than most, we NEED it. food is more expensive and pay is less. so yes. we are trying harder now :)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
HappyMama, how do you watch the commodities? Is there a web site?
Thanks!
Daylily
I read these and the WSJ. Hope these help

Here is some good basic information on commodities:

* Investing In Commodities

Top 50 Commodities Blogs | ETF Database

AGRICULTURAL - Hard Assets Investor

Gold ETF | Gold Exchange Traded Funds | Invest in Gold Stocks

Bloomberg - Business & Financial News, Breaking News Headlines ( good up to date financial information around the world, investing , commodities etc)

Calculated Risk ( especially love this one no nonsense and straight good evaluation)

Econbrowser: New indications of inflation

http://www.angrybearblog.com/

http://blog.rebeltraders.net/

There are more I peruse but these will give you a good idea of things.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Happy Mama...got your message with the address for the board...accidentally deleted it and couldn't find the other thread...I'm a mess today. Please, pretty please, would you message it to me again.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Happy Mama...got your message with the address for the board...accidentally deleted it and couldn't find the other thread...I'm a mess today. Please, pretty please, would you message it to me again.
Already did hon!

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I was stunned I went to stock up on my 25 pounds of cocoa powder and it doubled from last year. To are you ready for this ..... from 2.75 a pound to 5.39 a pound. Yikes..... Now believe me I watch the commodities and knew it was coming but still... I more or less stock my pantry:rolleyes: for those who scream hoarding...lol as we can't eat certain foods for allergies. We eat well and for a lot less then the "hoarding" screamers do at MC'Ds per month , sorry just gets old....lol So I tend to not answer certain ones anymore but this one is interesting as prices will continue to rise that is for sure. I will always admire those who prepare whether it is a budget, financial plan, menus, pantry stocking, bulk buying , gardening, canning, dehydrating, couponing and live life to the fullest then those who sick back spend every penny and complain. Though I know everyone here on this board tries their best it is interesting watching the ones in life that don't and the results yr after yr.

$5.39 a pound! :yikes: I'm working with a small budget, I think I'm going to have to buy my cocoa in smaller quantities. I can get it at a bulk store in 1 1/2 or so pound bags. I can a lot of bulk foods in smaller amounts there. I think maybe I need to focus on smaller amounts of foods each week. We are at the mercy of week to week and it really is having a mental impact on me. I've always been one to look ahead, plan for lay off, hard times, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to be stocked to the rafters, heck, that's what kept us alive the first year my husband got laid off. We are now 3+ years in and I'm kicking myself for not being better prepared. So stock away folks, you never know when the worst is going to hit you.

Reactions: Booklover

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
$5.39 a pound! :yikes: I'm working with a small budget, I think I'm going to have to buy my cocoa in smaller quantities. I can get it at a bulk store in 1 1/2 or so pound bags. I can a lot of bulk foods in smaller amounts there. I think maybe I need to focus on smaller amounts of foods each week. We are at the mercy of week to week and it really is having a mental impact on me. I've always been one to look ahead, plan for lay off, hard times, etc. I don't think it's a bad idea to be stocked to the rafters, heck, that's what kept us alive the first year my husband got laid off. We are now 3+ years in and I'm kicking myself for not being better prepared. So stock away folks, you never know when the worst is going to hit you.
Know exactly what you mean Polly. I take my food budget per month and concentrate on a couple things that month. Like one month might be wheat, the next might be oils, etc and spend the same amount every month but one month might be no meat, no veggies, no anything but milk etc and do the couple products I am focusing on so I can make pantry meals. Hope that makes sense. Sending blessings your way know exactly what you mean about small budgets and trying to stretch things, it is good summer is coming.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm counting on that good Summer HappyMama. we really need to expand our garden and I need to get busier with preserving food. I'm paying for a small garden last season right now.

I was kind of thinking that same thing, focusing on one thing, or maybe two. Beans and cocoa are what I'm thinking to start, but I just might change that when I get out there and see what the deals are. I'm thinking this is going to need some prayer.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts