Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Member
28,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Member
28,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by forestdale
hmmm, quite a few of the australian terms are wrong.
Aww darn, can /will you correct. I find it so enlightening and interesting. :smooch:

· Registered
6,488 Posts
Here you go, Darlene. The ones I commented on I've highlighted with **

baking tray = cookie sheet
barbecue = grill
beef olives = rouladen ** we also call this rouladen
beetroot = beet
bi-carb soda = baking soda
biscuit = cracker or cookie
bottling = canning
bread rolls = buns
broad bean = fava bean

cake cooler = wire rack ** also wire rack
cake tin = pan
casserole dinner (or tea) = potluck ** casserole or stew (tea is something else, but not tea LOL)
caster sugar = superfine granulated
celery stick = celery rib
chick peas = garbanzos
chicken pieces = chicken parts
chips = french fries or crisps
coconut, desiccated (unsweetened) = coconut, shredded (often sweetened)
copha = white vegetable shortening
coriander (leaves) = cilantro
corn flour = corn starch
cos = romaine lettuce
cream, whipping (37% fat) = cream, heavy/heavy whipping (min 36% fat)

demerara = sugar light brown cane sugar
dressing = mayonaise or viniagrette ** we call mayonaise "mayonaise" and French dressing "viniagrette"
dripping = fat from roasted meat

endive = chicory
entree = the course preceding the main course
essence = extract ** also extract

fairy bread = bread and butter with coloured sprinkles
fairy cake = cupcake
fairy floss = cotton candy
fillet (of meat) = tenderloin
french bean = green bean
frying pan = skillet

ginger nut = ginger snap
glacé = candied
glad wrap = saran wrap or plastic wrap ** also plastic wrap, Glad Wrap is the brand name
golden syrup = similar to light corn syrup
greaseproof paper = wax paper
grill = broil

hundred and thousands = sprinkles

icing = frosting
icing sugar = confectioners' sugar, powdered sugar

jacket potato = baked potato
jam = jelly
jelly = jell-o
jelly crystals = flavoured gelatin
joint (of meat) = large cut of meat with bone

kitchen paper = paper towel - also paper towel

lolly = candy

maltesers = chocolate covered malt balls
Marie biscuits = vanilla wafers (any plain sweet biscuit will do!)
mince = ground meat
mixed peel = candied peel

offal = variety meats (liver, heart, kidney)
omelette = omelet
oven slide = cookie sheet ** baking sheet, I've never heard the term "oven slide".

pasta sauce (jarred) = tomato sauce ** pasta sauce is a storebought version of any sauce, not just tomato, to put onto pasta
pastie = meat turnover
pastry case = pie shell ** also pie shell
patty cake = cup cake
pawpaw = papaya
pepper/capsicum = bell pepper
pig’s trotter = pig’s foot
pips = seeds ** also seeds
plain flour = all purpose flour
porridge = cooked oatmeal
prawns = shrimp
pudding = dessert ** also dessert

rasher = slice (most often used in terms of bacon)
rice bubbles = rice crispies (breakfast cereal)
ring tin = tube pan
rocket = argula
rockmelon = cantaloupe
roast = baked
rump steak = sirloin ** Rump steak is the steak from the hindquarter or the steer. Sirloin is from the ribs - like Tbone without the bone.

self raising flour = all-purpose flour with baking powder
semolina = farina
shandy = beer with sprite
sherbert = powdered candy
silverbeet = Swiss chard
silverside = beef cut from the rump ** silverside is hot corned beef
skirt steak = flank steak
slice = bar
soft drink = soda
southern biscuits = scones ** I've never heard anyone call scones southern biscuits. Scones are scones. I think they reversed the order of these. You call them biscuits and we call them scones.
spring onion = scallion/green onion
sponge finger = lady finger
stock cubes = boullion Cubes
stoned = seeded
stuffing = dressing
sultanas = golden raisins
swiss roll tin = jelly roll pan
swede = turnip or rutebaga

tea towel = dish towel
toffee = taffy
tomato sauce = ketchup
treacle = similar to molasses

vermicelli, chocolate = sprinkles, chocolate


· Member
28,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rhonda!!!:smooch:

· Registered
348 Posts
Quite a few of the British ones are wrong too!

A biscuit is a cookie and a cracker is a cracker, unless you buy a box of crackers specifically labelled "biscuits for cheese", which contains a combination of digestive biscuits and crackers.

I have NEVER heard corned beef referred to as anything other than corned beef.

Chicory and endive are two different vegetables, at least at my supermarket, as are rocket and arrugula and cos and romaine.

The bottle of Vanilla Extract in my cupboard says just that, extract, not essence.

You grill sausages under the grill, not the griller.

"Marmite - a yeast extract that Brits love to spread on their toast". Not all Brits! It's evil in a jar!

Neeps and Tatties are turnips and potatoes, but usually in Scotland, not England and Wales.

Pine nuts are pine nuts.

It seems that some of the terminology is quite antiquated, and the list just needs updating.

· Member
28,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the update Peaches! Loved the evil in a jar comment, sounds like it is. :::shudder::: Makes me think of limburger cheese, that is evil in a package.
If you ladies think of some things that aren't on the list and want to add them, please do.

· Registered
4,344 Posts
Thanks for the updates- I don't think some of the American terms are altogether accurate- at least not in my household- lol. Some are just a little misleading. For the edification of everyone, I'll include MY comments.

For instance, a celery rib to me is the whole length of celery. A celery stick is a celery rib cut into smaller pieces. You'd never catch me actually calling a piece of celery a rib. (Of course, you aren't likely to catch me talking about celery at all as I don't like it!)

Chick peas and garbanzos are both used.

Nobody I know calls french fries "crisps"- the only thing I know as crisps are potato chips from the UK. French fries do sometimes get called chips, though,m in the right setting (as in "fish and chips.")

Coriander and cilantro are two different things here- one is the leaf and one is the seed.

We use ther term dripping in the same way.

Like Peaches said, romaine and cos and endive and chicory are different, though similar items.

We have a specific type of green bean cut called a french cut green bean.

Frying pan and skillet are interchangeable.

Sprinkles are often called jimmies and sometimes hundreds and thousands (this is usually only comercially, though.)

Icing and frosting are two different things- icing is a thin topping you can usually drizzle or pour over a sweet, while frosting is thicker and generally needs to be spread. Icing is usually just 10x (confectioner's) sugar and some liquid.

Glad wrap/plastic wrap/saran wrap- all used.

Mincemeat is a specific thing here- but it isn't used too often anymore. It is meat and raisings and apples and is generally a pie. I don't know anyone who has ever tried this- sounds nasty to me.

We don't call anything variety meats that I am aware of. We have stuff called offal- it is generally reserved for feeding animals. Heart, liver, etc., are referred to and sold individually.

Ditto what Rhonda said on the pasta sauce.

Pie crust is used more than pie shell around here.

A bell pepper is a specific kind of pepper. There are lots of different varieties available. Bell is the bell shaped (I guess) one that is generally sold green, but can also be red, brown, orange, yellow- it is sweet.

Some people use the term porridge.

Prawns and shrimp are two different things.

We have self rising flour and we call it that.

I'm not sure what is up with "slice=bar." We have slices and we have bars. A slice would be somthing like a slice of cake, a slice of bread, a slice of cheese. There are few things we refer to as bars- generally soap and chocolate or candy bars.

Ugh- the soft drink debate again- around the country it has different names- pop, soda, soft drink, cola- we use 'em all. As a matter of fact, you can usually tell where in te US someone is from by what they call this drink.

Stuffing and dressing are used interchangeable, though where I live it is generally called stuffing (as in "Stove Top Stuffing.")

We also use the term tea towel- usually dish towel, but both are acceptable. I generally have "nicer" towels that I refer to as tea towels and they aren't used for drying dishes or wiping hands- they are the ones I use to wrap around warm bread or lay over rising dough, but this is just my usage.

Toffee and taffy are two different things here. Toffee is a hard candy, like the candy part of penut britle- it is generally sugar, butter, and vanilla. Taffy is soft, chewy stuff.

Tomato sauce and ketchup are two different things here, too. Tomato sauce is just pureed, reduced tomatoes with or without seasonings. Ketchup or catsup is a tomato based condiment with with molasses, spices, and other ingredients added. I think it is pretty yucky myself, but it is highly popular.

Now I just have some questions-

If jam=jelly, then what do you call fruit spead made only from the juice of a fruit, and not the whol fruit? This is our distinction between jam and jelly- jams generally include the whole fruit (or most of it,) and jelly definitely does not- it is the juice strained and then jelled.

And what do you call toffee, as in a hard candy that tastes similar to soft caramels?

And a potluck here is not a type of food, it is a type of get-together. It is when a bunch of people gather for a meal, and everyone brings something to share. Is this what the OP is referring to when she says a casserole dinner? I'm still a little confused by that one.

And if kethcup is called tomato sauce, what do you call sauce made from tomato sauce that doesn't have molasses and spices added?

Thanks, everyone, for adding to this, and thanks, Darlene, for posting. This has been really interesting and fun. I am enjoying this. Actually, I got involved in a lengthy discussion about measurements and the British/American terms on Recipezaar not too long ago. I am really interested in other cultures, so this is quite enjoyable.

· Registered
6,488 Posts
We have three names for fruit jams. we call it jam or conserve if it's fruit cooked in sugar and we call it jelly is if it is make from fruit juice and comes out clear. We have very few jellies.

We call toffee toffee or caramels.

We don't use the term potluck here. A casserole is a stew type dish, usually eaten for dinner at night. In addition to being a drink, tea is any meal eaten in the evening, usually early in the evening. I consciously stopped using the term "tea" when I first left home at 18 as I thought it was too unsophisticated for my fabulous self LOL!!! But as soon as I had my babies, I started using it again as it seemed more appropriate. Even now if I'm with my family I call it "tea" and if I'm talking to other people, I call it "dinner".

And while I'm at it, "tea" is a hot drink here. There is a soft drink iced tea and some people do make iced tea, but it's not common here. Flavoured tea didn't really take a hold here either. We have them but they aren't nearly as popular as plain old black tea or green tea.

Heinz make tomato ketchup, which is on the label but we still call it tomato sauce. Tomato pasta sauce is called tomato sauce and tomato sauce is called tomato sauce. :)

· Registered
4,344 Posts
Thanks, Rhonda.

So, do you have potluck dinners (where everyboy brings a dish) and just call them something else?

And casseroles are the same thing here. We don't call those dishes potlucks.

Would love one/some of our British members to weigh in on these same questions.

· Registered
348 Posts
As far as I know, jam is jam, whether it contains fruit or just the juice. You can get preserves and conserves, but these all tend to fall under the umbrella of "jam". Then, of course, there's marmalade if the fruit is citrus.

Toffee is toffee.

Ketchup can be called tomato sauce or ketchup (we call it ketchup in my house). Pasta sauce is just that, pasta sauce. If it contains tomatoes but no meat it tends to be called an arrabiata or marinara. If it contains mince it's called a bolognese.

We also have brown sauce, which is made from molasses, raisins, spices, dates and vinegar. Nice on chips!

· Registered
957 Posts
Jelly is Jello and wobbly gelatine that you eat after a meal or whatever!

Jam is jam is jam and was considered a treat in times gone by, hence the British saying " you jammy sod" ( meaning you lucky person.........!)
Brown sauce is what Brits have when they are not having Tomato sauce (ketchup)on their pie/chips ( fries;) ) ketchup would be more widely used in say an ex-pat household LOL!

Yes it can be HP but that is a BRAND name and so if you have Brown sauce it can be "daddy's"( another brand name) or just generic stores' own brand...........

Taffy is a colloquial term ,meaning a Welsh man/woman but not considered PC these days;)

Potluck is "taking a chance" and is generally not used when referring to food:)

Most Brits are not happy about eating food from other peoples houses ( strangers) and as the show "How clean is your house?" is British in origin you can see why:toothy:

I won't eat anything that came from a domestic dwelling that I was unfamilliar with............also eating out is easier to say no to if you just watch the right "undercover documentaries";) :toothy:

Think of the money you save LOL!( not to mention the gut rot ( green-apple quickstep:toothy: )

Tea is something you drink hot AND the common parlance for the meal that you have in the evening, "Dinner" is what you have at lunchtime if you are Working class:)
Dinner as a reference to the evening meal is more middle class and is sometimes considered "pretentious" to call it that.

"Supper" is what working classes call a snack before bedtime, but the upper classs refer to when they really mean"Dinner":confused:

I mean who CARES what we call it? it is pretty obvious what most things are and if you don't know you can always ask right?!:D

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Karen's hit the nail on the head in that many of the terms are class specific (as most things are in Britain! LOL) as in the lunch, dinner, tea, supper thing. It's the same with pudding, dessert and sweet.

And I'm not even going to ask whether you all sit on a setee, couch or sofa... :)

I think "taffy" was a kind of sweet somewhere, sometime, I think it was that stuff you had to hit on a hard surface to break it up!... As well as someone from the region around the river Taff!

It's so confusing, sometimes I wonder how I can get up in the mornings. :)

· Registered
1,167 Posts
britbunny said:
Karen's hit the nail on the head in that many of the terms are class specific (as most things are in Britain! LOL) as in the lunch, dinner, tea, supper thing. It's the same with pudding, dessert and sweet.

And I'm not even going to ask whether you all sit on a setee, couch or sofa... :)
Totally for the setee, couch or sofa LOL, I sit on all 3 of them depending on who I'm talking too LOL

In Ireland ( wellthe area where I'm from - cant talk for other areas of the country) we call Ketchup *red sauce* or tomato sauce - the tomato sauce you put on pasta is called pasta sauce or tomato sauce

We seem to use a mix of British and American cooking terms although mainly the british ones

and Tea is Tea - hot, strong and lots of it LOL ( I have never had Iced tea - the thought of cold tea makes me go pale!), The use of Tea as a meal in our case is when you have a cup of Tea and a few biscuits or cakes!

Oh.. I LOVE brown sauce on my chips!!! ( that would be fries LOL), its pretty good poured on mushy peas too!:D

Potatoes tend to be called Spuds, we dont call them Tatties!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.