Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a chili cook-off at work on the first day of Autumn as lunch for everyone here. Staff will bring in crockpots of chili to be judged and then served up for lunch. The committee I'm on will supply the crackers, desserts ect. I volunteered for cookies, which I would prefer to do because they're an easy finger food, but can change it or supplement it as long as it's baked goods. I have tons of cookie recipes but am wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for "fall type" cookies/baked goods or something that goes well with the chili menu plan? Here's an example: Brownies with chili doesn't seem to fit the bill where apple spice cake sounds more like a fall chili pairing to me.

Bring on the suggestions ---

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
How about a pumpkin or apple pie spice or even a cumin cookie? (Cumin cookies depends on if you have a bunch of heat lovers)

·
4,028 Posts
I've seen pumpkin chili recipes before... what about a pumpkin cookie?

Lady V, you beat me too it! lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ooooo! Yummy I love fall recipes!!! I have some yummy simple recipe ideas. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. Miniature Pumpkin Bundt Cakes with cheesecake filling, soo yummy & simple to make. Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars. Pumpkin Roll. Pumpkin Crisp.. These are all simple & if you have flour, sugar, baking soda, confectioner sugar & eggs.. then after that it's just buying a few things!!

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
Snickerdoodles are cheap and easy to make and use cinnamon.

Oatmeal raisin cookies are a nice hearty fall cookie.

Pumpkin chocolate chip always go over well at my house in the winter.

Apple or pumpkin spice cake sounds good.

Gingerbread might go over well. Gingersnaps might too, but those are a rolled cookie (more work).

·
Registered
147 Posts
my favorite easy fall cookie is a spice cake cookie
Use a box of Spice cake mix (wait till it's on sale somewhere ans stock up! These are the EASIEST cookies ever)
2 eggs, 1/3 cup oil. bake 9-11 min on 350.
SUPER easy and delish!
Feel free to add in other stuff too, I usually do.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
All these suggestions sound so good. I was thinking along the same lines as pumpkin cookies, or orange glazed cookies, apple brownies, spice cookies.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of good ideas ladies. I looked up recipes for the cumin cookies Lady V and will definately have to add that. I'm not a "savory" kind of cookie person myself but I would think some of my co-workers are so I know I will be including those in the mix.

I will probably do a mixture of some of them. Maybe pumpkin, some sort of apple spice or spice, and cumin cookies and then some peanut butter brownies. keep the ideas coming this is definately a work in progress if only in my head at the moment.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Get a butter pecan cake mix and make cake mix cookies out of them. Then ice them with a maple icing. Mmmmmmm....

Reactions: TheRootedNomad

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
pecan sandies!! Very few ingredients and can make the dough ahead of time. YUM!!

Reactions: TheRootedNomad

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
YUM!!! We have about 150 employees so I'm going to have to watch the cost to some extent and nuts and cheese are expensive at the moment. I do however have tons of pecans stored up :thumb: so they stay good from our last trip through Georgia as they're my mom's favorite. I can't believe I've never thought to try pecan sandies as I make a bazillion other pecan things for her. I guess this is why I don't think fall/pecan connection like a lot of people because it's a mom/pecan connection all year long :grin:

As for the carmel apple cheesecake Nuisance, which sounds awesome, if not for work then at the very least for home, this is the response I got when I clicked on the link, :crackup:which gave me a definate chuckle. I'll dig a bit more on the food network site later though and see if I can find it.

"Hmm, the page you’re looking for can’t be found.

It may have been moved, deleted, or eaten by our server."

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
~I'm sorry about the link GG. It's Paula Dean's Caramel Apple Cheesecake. Maybe this link will work: Video: Caramel Apple Cheesecake ~
No big deal I like that it said the server may have eaten the page. It shows a programmer with a sense of humor.

...and the new link works. Thank-you.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Oh darn you all are making me have to make Pecan Sandies now I have a craving. Can dig out an old cookbook or does anyone have a tried and true they would share? Pretty please.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts