Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love autumn it's my favorite season. I want to go somewhere this year where I can really enjoy it. What are some of the best states for enjoying autumn?

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
New Hampshire...can't beat the foliage...Vermont & Maine too :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would love to see Maine and New Hampshire in the fall for the foilage changing color. I was in Valley Forge--in PA in the fall and it was gorgeous. Also Yellowstone National Park is beautiful in the fall (anytime really).

I also think Autumn/Fall is my favorite time of year.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I live in NH and I think it's the best foliage around. Warning: there are many leaf peepers here in the fall. Also, the foliage really depends on our rainfall the year before. Two years ago, it wasn't the best. Many times, you can find "foliage tours" where you can get on a Greyhound bus, but I think it's best to be in your own car going at your own pace, heading up to northern NH.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
We go to Holmes County Ohio. We enjoy visitng this area because of the beautiful leaves, the Amish and Mennonite people, the apple growers, and the amount of available rooms. Have done other areas like the Blue Ridge and New England but we set up a base camp in one town and do day trips around the area. One day we hit apple groves and pick apples for fall baking. One day we hit local craftshops and explore cute small towns. And all days we enjoy the beauitful drives.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Opps! Posted to fast! You can go on the computer and watch the foliage change down the county. Also the Weather Channel has foliage alrets.

LAurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
323 Posts
I live in the midwestern U.S. so I love the Ozarks. Especially the Springfield/Branson/Eureka Springs areas. The Rocky Mountains are also impressive. The golden leaves of the aspens against the evergreens are quite striking.

The hardest part of planning a fall leaf trip is the timing. So many variables effect when, if and how much the leaves will turn.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
LOL!! Laurie I was going to say here in Ohio,in Wayne county which is the county just above Holmes! And we have so MANY things to do, flea markets, livestock auctions, corn mazes, pumpkin farms, you name it. We have tourists FLOCK to the area for the scenic views here. Also Amish tours, B&B's, homestyle cooking and many many other things.

You HAVE to contact me if you come this year, I'm about 15 minutes from Millersburg :)

Pssst, ya call me and I'll get you a REAL Amish farm tour on our friends farm, and take ya to a dairy farm, and introduce you to our beef cows, turkeys and horses and chickens :)
kj

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thanks for the invite Frugal farm wife. But thats why we come up my pen pal for the last 15 years has been an Old Order Amish Farm Wife! They taugh me milk my first cow! We come to Lakeville, Big Prairie and Sherve area. But I'd love to come by your place and meet you! I'm sure your close by.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About need someone living there and then call and say, "HURRY, COME NOW!!!!" and then fly there in like a day. LOL....

I remember one year, I was staying down in TN and the leaves were beautiful. I drove back to Indiana and I was expecting the same beautiful leaves. When I got there most of the leaves had already fallen, I was heart broken. I couldn't believe in just 400 miles, that it'd be that much different, but it was.

I live in the midwestern U.S. so I love the Ozarks. Especially the Springfield/Branson/Eureka Springs areas. The Rocky Mountains are also impressive. The golden leaves of the aspens against the evergreens are quite striking.

The hardest part of planning a fall leaf trip is the timing. So many variables effect when, if and how much the leaves will turn.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm with Quiltergirl. The Ozarks, which is where I grew up, are just beautiful. Also up here in ONtario if you go North of Toronto into cottage country you get the same rustic looking hills and woods. Upstate New York, in the Catskills is lovely too. I LOVE fall!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I'd say Brown County (yeah, I know it's in Indiana, but it'd be cheaper for you, right?) or NH. If you're coming to NH, try coming to Keene's Pumpkin Festival. HOWEVER, you can't stay in town, heck you can't get into town by car at all. Many of the cheap or free lots are used to set up booths. Also, there are 10,000 people here on the day of the festival. However, if you come the day BEFORE, there's parking, no where near the people or hassle. That's what the locals do: come the day before. All the "carnival" food isn't there nor the crafts, but you can get a feel for it without being in wall to wall people for a great deal less money and stress.

The white mountains are beautiful, so are the green mountains in VT.

Judi

·
Registered
38 Posts
In just a few days we are heading to "the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania"--who'd have thought there was such a place. We are taking a wagon ride down in the canyon and a train ride to look at the leaves. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts