Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this recipe on a website several years ago. Now I'm overseas and the recipe is at home, and the website is history. So, has anyone ever gotten this recipe from frugalmoms.com? I think that was the website. I love this bread and everyone whom I've ever made it for loves it too.

Besides, with the bombing going on over here, groceries are scarce, including bread. So I might as well make my favorite kind and use it for cheese bread while I'm at it.

If you don't have this recipe but have one similar, that'd make me happy too.

Thanks!
Beth

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Avanti's is a restaurant in the town that I'm from (Bloomington, IL), and they do have the most amazing bread!! :lip: It's famous around here, but I never realized other people had heard of it.

Here's the recipe I found on the net:

Avanti's Sweet Bread

3/4 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar (scant)
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 servings

40 minutes 20 mins prep

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. Mix oil, eggs, salt and sugar together till blended.
3. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Knead till smooth and elastic.
5. Let rise till doubled, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6. repeat the kneading and rising.
7. Punch down.
8. Cut dough into 2 pieces.
9. Let rise, covered for 10 minutes.
10. Shape into 2 oblong loaves, about 14 inches long.
11. Place on greased cookie sheets.
12. Cover: let rise again, about 50-60 minutes.
13. Cut slash down middle of bread or 3 slashes diagonally on top.
14. Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes

Hope this is similar to the recipe you were thinking of, and please try to stay safe over there!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The recipe I had made about 5 loaves, I think. I also don't think it was the actual recipe...it may have been one that someone tried to recreate. This doesn't make as big a batch, which is good. Also, do you happen to know if I can just use regular flour? I don't have any bread flour and with the situation here, plain white will pretty much be what's available for a while. I also don't have a way to get gluten, as far as I know, unless I just stumble across it.

Thanks for this recipe. My FIL used to love the kind I made at home when he was visiting so maybe I'll surprise him with some.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Here's another recipe I found. Is it any closer to the one you were thinking of??

Avanti's Bread

2 pkg. dry yeast
3 cups warm water
3 Tbsp. oil
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
10 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix oil, eggs, salt and sugar together till blended. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Knead till smooth and elastic. Let rise till doubled. Punch down. Shape into 6 oblong loaves about 14 inches long. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise again. Bake at 350 for 20 to thirty minutes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's closer. I'm guessing we must have found it on the same site.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That sounds like a good recipe, think I will try it too.

Be careful over there , Beth, will say a pray for your families safety. Hopefully it will be over with soon.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Hillbilly Artist. We appreciate that. Is that some of your artwork in your avatar?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts