Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased an enormous amount of used clothing for Mini from a friend (like 4 diaper cases worth of stuff). All of it is brand name, which I would never pay for at full price, but does really look good on Mini.
However, several pieces have some stains which I would like to get out. (I was aware of the staining before purchasing)
I have read the stain help thread, but I still need your advice.
Most of these stains I have no idea what they are.
So what are your best tricks for getting rid of stains on baby or children's clothing? Bonus points for green solutions. Bonus Bonus points if the trick involves throwing everything in the washer instead of treating and rubbing each stain individually :tay:

TIA

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have used Dishwasher powder in the past..I would soak them over night..I put the powder in a pan and desolved it in warm water then I would put the cloths in and let them soak over night..Then I would wash them with a cup of the powder and regular soap as if it was anyother laundery..Check them before you put in the dryer as it may need a little extra help..that dawn, amonia,and water works good on a lot of things..

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Since its baby clothes, I'm going to guess its 'organic matter' thats stained on?

Soak in a concentrated solution of OxiClean (or equivalent) in a bucket/sink/tub for a couple of hours (or overnight). Squeeze out excess water and treat any remaining stubborn stains with stain removers (Shout, Resolve, Clorox 2 laundry booster), rub in with a toothbrush and let sit 10 mins. Wash like normal, preferably on warm/hot if the clothes can take it. (I always add a scoop of Oxi to each wash regardless) Hopefully that helps.

BTW: I find WalMart's version of OxiClean works MUCH better then the brand name. Maybe its just me or the water where I live? And it costs less too! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Was also going to say oxi-clean or the equivalent. I have soaked clothes overnight in oxi-clean without any problems.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx everyone!

I do have wal-mart brand oxy-clean so I will try it first. If it doesn't work, I'll purchase dishwashing powder ( we use the liquid stuff)

I also found a solution of 2 parts hydrogen peroxide to 1 part original Dawn online v Apparently, this stuff does miracles.
Hopefully, one of the three will work; these are really nice clothes, barely used, it would be a shame to not wear them because of stains.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
make sure to spray the stains from the back first. let sit a bit. then rinse and proceecd as listed above....good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recommend treating formula stains with an enzyme detergent and a toothbrush. Enzyme detergents include tide, wisk, and era. Or pour to line 3, fill the machine, and let the load soak for an hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts