Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I know breastfeeding is the ultimate frugal choice but it just didn't work out for me. That said, I've compared Similac powder, ready to feed liquid (RTF) and the use of the $5 checks. Please check my math. I have used average prices based on the few stores I have price compared.

Powder - 23.3 oz container makes 168 oz - at $23.00/container = $.137/oz (not counting the cost of water b/c that is negligible)

RTF = 32 oz container @ $6.00/container = $.188/oz

On the flip side....If I use the $5 off any Similac checks I believe the RTF to be the better deal.

RTF = 32 oz @ 6.00 minus $5.00 check = $1.00 for 32 oz - to make 168 oz you need 5.25 containers of RTF so $5.25 for 168 oz

Of course, the only problem is finding the checks in quantity! If I run out of checks and formula then the powder is the better deal per ounce. Am I right??

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Similac here is $18.98 for 24 oz. or 176 fl. oz.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky!!! NJ's cost of living stinks!

·
Registered
645 Posts
talk with your doctor about using Parents Choice formula from Walmart it is MUCH cheaper and is equal in quality.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When not bf, I used the Walmart formula and it worked just fine. Generally speaking the powder is the more economical choice...simple price aside, there tends to be less waste with powder vs. ready to feed.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You can also use Sam's Club's brand. They have huge container for less than $20. (like double the amount of a large container of enfamil). I used the Enfamil when I had coupons, because I had a lot of them the first 6 months or so, but then started using Sam's. All formulas are regulated by the government. So the only thing I would be concerned about if you want to use a generic is if baby needs special type of formula.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be like talking to a brick wall to convince Vic it's ok to switch. He's a brand-name snob. I know, I know, I've told him a million times but he's not budging. Our ped. even recommended COSTCO brand. For now, I guess I need to rely on checks/coupons. I did manage to get 18 RTF's in the last 3 weeks for free and make $10 on baby bucks, not too shabby!

·
Registered
616 Posts
One thing to consider is whether your baby can tolerate powdered formula. When my DD was little she would spit up way more with the powdered formula. I'm not sure what the difference was, maybe the texture or something because chemically they would have the same nutrients.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have given my daughter Wal-Mart brand powdered formula exclusively since day one. We have never had one single problem. It is MUCH easier to pack up in the diaper backpack, since tempurature is unimportant. I've made many bottles one handed while driving to plug the screaming hole in the back seat.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We started using BJ's formula- a 51 oz can is $19.99 but we have a coupon for $3 off. We are going to stock up! I had talked to our ped. about the generic and she said formula is so strictly regulated in the US that there is not an issue with using the generic- she said the Big 3 make all the generic (enfamil, similac, or nestle).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts