Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be a good time to start this thread, telling how much you are actually spending to raise baby, I'll start. Being a foster parent (hoping and praying to adopt) I did not have the baby showers that most of my friends had, but thank heavens, I am benefitting from their showers years later. I found that through planning ahead and being realistic, I have two babies in the house at a very minimal cost. My nursery is:
2 nice, brand new Jenny Lind style matching cribs-$99 total
changing table-borrowed-bought new pad----------$19
hand me down dresser, refinished---------------------$5 paint etc.
lined willow baskets and over the door shoe bag--$20
1 new mattress, 1 borrowed----------------------------$22
1 travel system (infant) garage sale-------------------$40
2 toddler car seats, garage sales----------------------$15 total
tandem stroller (bought floor model at 40% off)----$70
toys, videos etc. 95% garage sales-------------------$25
new clothes, linens,shoes etc--------------------------$85
I keep pretty complete wardrobes of hand me downs and garage sale clothes up to a size 4--I've spent more on the storage boxes than the clothes I keep in them!!!
On an ongoing basis I average $15 per week on formula, $8 on baby food and $8 on wipes and diapers plus an additional $5-10 added to my weekly food budget for additional food, fruits etc I buy specifically for the kids.
What does it cost to raise baby where you live?

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
WTG Kellie. You are doing amazingly well. Keep up the good work and before long you can throw your $100 bills toward some college ;). Really, way to go on the management of the inventory.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Raising a child in colorado is about the same, except of course the formula. It is 44 dollars a week for formula here-powder. Enfamil and Similac are the same price now:( We get a majority of our clothes and furnishing cheaply if not free. The only things we purchase new are underclothing and shoes. Even those come from Walmart usually. Diapers are the next highest cost we spend 32 dollars a month on wipes and diapers, no huggies or pampers here, usually we get the cheapy walmart brand. With another on the way, we need to look at ways of reducing those even, I applaud your preperation and frugality as well as your organizational skills!

Nealy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow! You've really tracked your spending! I really couldn't tell you how much we've spent- since all the big ticket items were purchased for us when we had ds- and I had kept everything for this baby.

But for this baby- all she has cost us so far is $16.00 a month in diapers (BJ's brand) and then maybe another $5 for wipes. I've bought a few new clothes for her- and the rest came from one of my friends.

Laura

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
It's been too long for me to remember, but I am sure I never did as good as you guys are doing. We did get as much from yard sales as possible and were lucky that I had 2 friends with babies one month from dd and they had big babies so when they out grew clothes my dd was just getting to that size. Keep up the good work ladies, you win my Frugal Mommy awards.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was proud that I got the crib for $30 from a garage sale. A lot of the clothes are hand-me-downs from my very kind friends. While I was pregnant I slowly stocked up on diapers, wipes etc. so I haven't had to buy any since being I had Madison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts