Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for frugal baby shower games. I'm writing an article and am looking for some FV submitted tips. If selected, I will include your name or initials to credit you for any tip you submit. (this will be published in print)

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Last week I went to a shower where the hostess had a large bowl of uncooked rice and small safety pins (the really tiny ones) mixed together. You had 45 seconds to pull out as many safety pins as you could without looking. It is amazing how hard this really is. The rice and safety pins feel the same.

Everyone gets a clothes pin when they arrive. It is pinned to their clothing somewhere. If at anytime throughout the shower they say the magic word (it could be "baby", "boy", "girl" etc...) they lose their pin to the person who catches them saying it. At the end of the shower the person with the most pins wins.

Guess how many toilet paper squares it takes to fully go around the expectant mom's belly.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the rice/pin game idea. :) Sounds fun.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Not sure how frugal this is...but it sure was fun. we took 6 diapers, put a mini candy bar in each one (six different kinds of candy), numbered them with a sharpie 1-6 and made a list of which candy was in each one, then put each in the microwave just long enough to make it smooshy and unrecognisable...at game time, we passed the diapers around and everyone got to smell each one and try to make a list of what kind of candy bar each one had in them, the one with the most correct answers wins! a smooshed candy bar in a diaper does not look like something you want to stick your nose in..it was too fun! One elderly lady asked if she could lick it to try to see what kind it was...that was a great picture for the scrap book!:fdance:

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my gosh. That's hilarious. I love it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The TP game is fun!!! Each guest passes around some TP and guesses at how much they'd need to wrap around the mom's tummy......... when everyone is done, have the mom do it and go around to all the guests to see how off they were!!!!!!! lol closest to actual square count wins ;)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
* the one where u have pen and papers and make a list of questions of how much u think the baby will be(if not born yet) , if born, how much, the weight , etc. the winner or 2 closest gets to pick one off the table of dollar items wrapped up. (they could be bowls, food, soap,
*aint that shame card game--u need 2 packs of cards, one person calls out the card form one deck, the other deck is all cards passed out evenly. sit in circle, small dollar gifts in the middle, and put out at least 10 -15 gifts for about 18-20. When each person gets their card called, they pick a gift from the middle, when all the gifts are gone. each person after that has to take a gift from one person who has a gift and say aint that a shame or doesnt get the gift. this is done until all the cards are gone.
*put a plate of differnt items on it all differnt sizes relatingto babys things, then get all your guests to look at it, take 2 things away and get them to write down all that they see. the one who has them all right or the most items accuate wins .

·
Registered
172 Posts
At a shower I recently attended, the hostess had left a blue "baby" made of heavy cardstock at each seat. Each "baby" had a little "diaper" made from a piece of paper towel glued to his front. Toward the end of the party, the hostess had each of us look under our baby's diaper. The people whose baby had a "mess" (a dot of marker under the diaper) each won a prize.

There was also a contest to see who could drink a baby bottle of juice the fastest.

And the game where they pass around several jars of (unlabeled) baby food and everyone tries to "Name that Food" is always fun.

Another nice thing (though not really a game) is to have everyone give their best piece of advice to the new mom. Sometimes it's done on video (if you've got a camera), other times by signing a book. The single gals usually give funny bits of advice, but the "veteran moms" can give really meaningful and encouraging bits of wisdom. This is one of the things I treasure most from my son's baby shower.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Before the shower gather up baby photos of the guests coming. Post all on a board with numbers under their pics. Have the guests try to match up adults with baby pics. The one with the most wins.
Hand out sheets with the babies full name on it. How many other FIRST NAMES can be made out the name. Again person with the most wins. No madeup names are allowed. Again person with the most wins.
Want a really good laugh! Get a baby doll and cloth diaper. Do changing rodeo. Fastest time wins. You'll be amazed at the amount of young ones who can't do it. Especially if they have to fold the diaper before putting it on. If you have men this can get really funny.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The changing rodeo is funny. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts