Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saved my Mothers Day & Birthday money, and bought me a new presssure cooker. I wasnt going to spend it on household junk, thought I'd buy things for me, BUT,,,

My old one is warped or something, last year I lost all my potatoes I canned.. so now I'm starting with 18 pints of corn. Feels good to be able to get back into those jars!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Glad you got back to canning.........but sorry it had to be at the expense of your BD $.

I am so jealous that you even have stuff to can........wish my garden would hurry up and catch up.

·
2,688 Posts
A pressure cooker is a good idea. A nice use for birthday money. Just remember we have to eat everyday. And I think practical gifts are great :)

Where did you find enough corn to do 18 pints ? Wow :)

Our garden is just kicking in. So far, peas and broccoli for meals, and one bag in the freezer so far.

Reactions: pinetree

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DH found corn at a farmers market, 48 ears for $4.00. the ears are very large, so hoping for alot of pints. It had to be shipped in, the corn here is only about knee high.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
48 ears for $4?! That's an amazing buy on the corn!!! Some of the grocery stores here are getting $1 an ear for it.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'll say that's an amazing deal! The only way we get deals like that around here is if you buy a truckload from a farmer. My Grandmother used to do that and we'd all sit in her yard and shuck corn. It took forever, but it was so worth it when she treated us all to a corn on the cob only supper. Good memories!

Glad you found that deal. It will be great this coming Winter when you can put fresh canned corn on the table!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I'll say that's an amazing deal! The only way we get deals like that around here is if you buy a truckload from a farmer. My Grandmother used to do that and we'd all sit in her yard and shuck corn. It took forever, but it was so worth it when she treated us all to a corn on the cob only supper. Good memories!

Glad you found that deal. It will be great this coming Winter when you can put fresh canned corn on the table!
We loaded up on corn like that late last summer and froze it. Yes, it did take forever to shuck, but it was SO WORTH IT this past winter when I had corn on the cob and it tasted so fresh and yummy! I will definitely be doing this again this year!! I can't wait to try some with the homemade butter I made last week...oh I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! :laugh:

·
19,119 Posts
What a great gift for yourself - a wise canner you are indeed.....and then the deal on corn - terrific!! What are you going to can next?

Think I had better get on the ball with the PC that we got for DH for Christmas - I know nothing about them - not even the fact that you could use them for canning!! A new world is opening up!! Mahalo!!

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
What a great gift for yourself - a wise canner you are indeed.....and then the deal on corn - terrific!! What are you going to can next?

Think I had better get on the ball with the PC that we got for DH for Christmas - I know nothing about them - not even the fact that you could use them for canning!! A new world is opening up!! Mahalo!!
I recently attended a session on pressure canning through OSU Extension Service - perhaps UH offers something similar?

·
19,119 Posts
LB - again you live in the best place in the world for learning!! I'll check to see if UH offers anything - would love to find a new world opening up to me right here on Maui!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts