Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going back to paper financial records. I want stuff off the computer. I cannot for the life of me figure out Quicken. It takes so long to do things and just simply see where I am with the cash. Before I could just glance at the spreadsheet and see instantly how I was doing. So back to the paper records it is. DH can keep up Quicken if he wants, but I want nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm a paper person, myself. Something relaxing about sitting down with pad and pen and working the numbers yourself, it's like I'm telling it what to do, instead of it telling me where I'm ending up, hehe.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I have sort of the opposite problem -- I use MS Money, and it's too easy! It just doesn't make much impression. I still use it, because for me it is a perfect tool for long range planning. But I got a ledger book in November and started making myself keep a handwritten ledger of everything I buy, item by item. It makes me really notice that I am not just manipulating numbers of a screen, but spending real money for lots of stuff.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am a pen and paper person myself. I like sitting down at the table and working it all out.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I use Quicken but also do the pen and paper. I actually like written records, too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use MS Money. I cacn't do math to save my life. Money helps keep my math right...lol.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am clueless about all this pen /paper/quicken talk is about!~
I get all my bills mailed and I hope to pay most online but I keep the paper backup in case I need to snail mail it in.
I mail in our mortgage and our cable blls, everything else is online...
I do not use quicken , but I just try to keep 1000.00 cushion in our checking account between paydays...
I am anal so do not try this! I love to hang onto my money!!!:smball:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm a paper person too!

·
Registered
182 Posts
ive gotta admit the truth.
im an excel addict! i love creating formulas and adding or subtracting to one line and seeing the effect it has on the others. im strange though, math geek!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've tried using Money and had a difficult time with it. If I adjusted my budget during the year it affected previous months records. I've gotten lazy (probably because I didn't want to know how bad my finances were) and just started tracking again. I've put a simple budget on an excel spreadsheet that I can print off. This has been so much easier for me.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
pen & paper for me too :)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
dh likes to use quicken and was trying to teach me how to use it but it was too difficult to get it to do what it needed to do. i keep track of things in a ledger. he can keep track on quicken if he wants but i know it hasn't been updated in 4 months at least.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i used to use Money but now I just use and Excel spreadsheet with a tab for each month. i use a budget template i actually got off the microsoft site. then I filled in the fixed data and copied it a bunch of times it lets you enter predicted info then enter what it really cost you and has a field for the difference which i find helpful for month to month planning, plus it has alot of line items i hadn't thought of.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I've never tried any of the programs mentioned. Right now I use pen and paper. I had a spreadsheet that I created myself but it disappeared a few times(darn kids) and it was to much work to keep remaking it. So I just went back to paper.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I use Quicken and I also have a bunch of Excel spreadsheets I have created.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts