Frugal Village Forums banner

Back to School at 42?

Tags
back school
3K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  Saule 
#1 ·
I'm really thinking about making a change.

I have a good job - not a great one but a good one. I work in the automotive industry in the service dept. and I make about $40K a year.

For a few years I've wanted a change. I tried a couple of years ago to start a business, borrowed a ton of money and went belly up in very short order.

Then I looked for work outside of my usual industry - I really wanted to do something meaningful, but I couldn't get a job.

Luckily I got hired back at my old job and my old pay. It's a living but it isn't satisfying. It seems so shallow, listening to people complain about their brand new cars, listening to people being downright rude to employees, arguing with corporate over payments.

I'm thinking of taking another leap and going back to school. I have discussed this with my employer and can do a portion of my job from home and keep most of my paycheck. I'm in the middle of an application process.

To do what? This is where it probably sounds nuts because it is so far from what I do right now. I want to become a midwife. I want to do something to make a difference in people's lives and I want to learn a skill in which I can give of myslef.

I would finish when I'm 47. Is that too old to embark on a new career? Would it be neglectful to my kids to work 30 hours a week AND pursue a degree? Can I even swing this financially?

I'd love some opinions while I make this difficult decision.

See less See more
#3 ·
Daisygirl I dont think 47 is to old to start a new career. The biggie is if you can afford school in my opinion. Have you looked into cost? Also arent your girls fairly young? You wouldnt run into the girls in college for a few years right? I'd love to go back for a cpa but cant currently afford to have college kids and college mom at the same time.

You are a great mom! No worries ever of it being neglectful to your girls. If you can swing it financially I say live your dreams!

#4 ·
I think you can do it K. :)

The only thing there could possibly be an issue with is if this will impact your QT with the girls and if you can swing it financially. Would you be stretching yourself too thin trying to work, be with the girls and there for them as well as manage your house and then study? Would you still get time for yourself?

#5 ·
Daisy - I worked full time and went to school part time. Took me 5 years but ended up with my B.A. and B.Ed. I was 42 when I finished. It was rough but I loved it! Financially, I wish I would have found FV back then....it would have helped immensely but no loans now and I have a degree I love.

Go for it. You will show your girls that no matter how difficult something seems, perserverance will allow you to live your dreams.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: Daisygirl
#6 ·
Yup, yup, yup - go for it - as someone wise said once - You'll be -- even if you don't go back to school. I went back at 47 to get my special education degree while teaching full time - it was crazy and I did it!! By the second year, I had borrowed Nike's slogan of "just do it" and I did!! You can and will too!! We are all redy to cheer you on!!

#9 ·
Wow - it's really great to hear that others here have done this. I'm nervous about making such a big change because the last time didn't work out so well.

Financially, it will be a HUGE stretch, but not impossible. If my grades are good, I should be eligible for some bursaries the second year and after. Because I will continue working I won't be eligible for student loans, but really, that is not such a bad thing - I won't finish with debt.

Time wise, it scares the daylights out of me. However, working from home and studying from home, at least I'll be there. I might not be able to just hang out and play Scrabble and watch TV with the kids but I won't be leaving them alone all the time. I don't really have a social life anyway so I won't be sacrificing anything there. ;)

The first step, of course, is to get in. The school I want to go to only accepts 35 students per year. I'm working my way through the online application and will pay the $215 fee to see if I can get accepted. If I do, the program starts in the fall. In January I will take a semester of electives online to get those out of the way while still working fulltime.

NERVOUS!!!!!

#10 ·
I'm going to tell you the same thing I told my own mother after the company she was CFO for over 20 years let her go and hired a computer major fresh out of college.

"Look, you're going to be 50 anyways, when you blow out the candles, will you be happy with the person you are or will you regret everything you passed up?"

I leave that with you...

#11 ·
If you are truly interested in becoming a midwife, I would like to put you in contact via email with my mother in law. She recently did something similar. After years of working in one career, she did all the training, classes, etc and became a certified doula. It is extremely rewarding for her.

If interested in communicating with her, please let me know. I think speaking with someone who has do e something similar may be beneficial to you.

#12 ·
go for it!! At your age, you will have so much to offer when you do your papers. Your experience will be invaluable no matter what you do. Good luck and we are here to support your decision.

#13 ·
Have you checked the student loan requirements? You may still qualify even with a decent job, because you have two dependants. Not that you want the debt, but a lot of other bursaries and funding are attached to your student loan application. I took out a student loan when I went back to school and only about half of it had to be paid back. I had a fairly low income though. But still worth checking into.

#14 ·
You can do it...being happy in your job is huge and feeling that you are doing something you feel is self-fulling and worthwhile is
what everyone wishes they had. Do it!

#15 ·
GO FOR IT!!!! It's never too late to learn and its never too late to try something new!!!

I worked 2 part time jobs and went to university full time while my 3 sons were little...it was rough, i was recently divorced, no money, no car etc but I did it...AND age has nothing to with it! I mean there's folks in their 80's graduating from university, if they can do it, why not you? :) Follow your heart!

#16 ·
I'm back in school going for a second degree/career change. It's tough, but it's entirely do-able! It'll take longer than expected (can't drop everything & only go to school... there are bills to pay, mouths to feed!) - but, if it's truly your passion and something you've always envisioned yourself doing, it's 100% worth it.
Just be careful, did your boss put all that in writing? If not, you could put yourself in a position to be "cut" b/c you're a less productive worker (all due to lack of face time on the job).
I only say this b/c the market out there is tough, and I wouldn't want anyone to take a leap w/o thinking through things first. :)
If all's golden, again, do it if it's truly your passion... but don't leap b/c you think the grass is greener... every job I've had (career, part time, to coffee house) has ppl that complain about their "new" house/car/bills, etc.
That's everywhere... you do have the choice not to listen/partake & think of your own non-burdened financial state b/c you don't feel you "need" all those "new" toys everyone else uses to compete. ;)

#19 ·
You're 42 now and this will take you five years. So where do you want to be in five years? 47 and doing what you are doing now or 47 and prepared for a new career? One way or another, in five years you'll be 47 - it's up to you what 47 will look like!

I know it's daunting; I went back to school to get a second degree - I was a bit younger than you but I am very glad I did it. And my sis finished her BSN at age 54.

In any event I wish you well and hope everything works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.