Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to make bagels twice now and they taste great but the appearance isn't what I expect. I use a basic bread dough recipe (doubled) and after the first rise I shape my loaf and various rolls since they need a longer rise, and then I shape the bagels. I am usually cooking the loaf and assorted items first.

I add some sugar to the boiling water and they seem to come out rather bumpy and pasty looking after their swim. I wash with egg yolk and bake at 400-425 farenheit for 20-25 minutes depending on their size. I just can't seem to get rid of the bumpy/pasty look. They don't brown or get that tight outer skin. The loaf I cook and the cheese/bacon ring turned out beautiful so I don't think it is the dough but the process.

The only thing I can think of is when I steam the oven for the loaf and rolls is it still too moist for the bagels? Does anyone have any ideas of what I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Ceashels

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I don't really know. But I checked some on-line recipes, and one said to heat the oven to 450 and reduce it to 425 when you put them in. I don't know if this would make much difference, but you might try that. Maybe they need an intenser heat at the beginning? I have never tried to make bagels. It's something I just don't think of as "homemade." Ever. Maybe I should try someday.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Try to make one batch, don't double it. Some recipies are a bit different when made in larger batches

·
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input. I'll probably try them again on Sunday. I'll let you know how they turned out.

Ceashels

1 - 4 of 4 Posts