Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I will be calling the Better Business Bureau. Our local Lowes Foods Grocery Store had 93% Lean ground beef on sale for $1.97 on the front page of their ad this week! Hooray! I was so excited because we can never get even 80% for that low of a price around here. So excited to fill my cart up.

I got back to the meat section tonight and was confused as to why the 80% was labeled $1.97 instead of the 93%. So being the savvy shopper I am, I load my cart with 93% anyways, making sure to have my ad in hand at the register. And guess what? It rings up $3.99/lb.

I kept my cool and showed the ad to the cashier (she was incompetent) and told her that if this wasn't 1.97 I didn't want it, figuring she would call over her supervisor to make things right. Nope, she hands it all to her bag boy and asks him to take it back to the meat cooler. He is a very nice teenage boy who works there all of the time, and so I asked him if there was anyone I could talk to about the matter and he very nicely directed me to his manager.

So he walks the beef over to the service desk and I figure she will ring me up at the ad price. NOPE! She tells me that the signs in the back showed which one was on sale. I said "but it says right here in your ad that this is on sale" She says "well you should have seen the oops we goofed signs in the back" WHAT? You have got to be kidding me. I asked if there was anything she could do to get me this price and she said no. So I left the store before having a major meltdown.

I'm a bit angry right now so I needed to rant to people who would understand. ugh.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
that's just wrong!! The "oops" sign should have been in multiple places in the meat section then. They could've gave it to you at the advertised price!!!

·
19,119 Posts
Very frustrating and irritating. It happens here too - and will probably happen more often. Take a deep breath and proceed with your mental health in mind. Call BBB - but please somehow lose the stress - you're the one who is paying the high price of stress now.....please take care of yourself first, then go after them. Please let us know what happens!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I agree Jeni.......I would talk to the manager - IN PERSON!

I am a RIP of a consumer and I don't hesitate to let them know.

I just think the stores are getting away with tooooo much right now and pushing the laws to the LIMIT--------with no one enforcing anything!

I DO think some of my store ads say that they "have to right to correct mistakes".......but I would sure let the manager know.

Lots of people post things on our CL when stuff like this happens. If you read our CL......the RANTS have a lot of complaints but mostly about car companies!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Our stores will have a big sign as you enter the building if there is an ad error. I would contact the BBB. I would also give the store a low review. Google the store by specific address. By the place with the thumbnail map there should be a place for reviews.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree Jeni.......I would talk to the manager - IN PERSON!
I did speak with the manager on duty. She wouldn't budge.

Our stores will have a big sign as you enter the building if there is an ad error. I would contact the BBB. I would also give the store a low review.
I filed a complaint with the BBB already last night. As far as a low review...this is the very first time we have ever had a problem with this store...they usually treat their customers very well and they are our favorite/cheapest store after walmart in our town. SO I don't want to take it that far quite yet.

I am hoping that when DBF goes in today (he would like to try again, hoping there is a different manager on duty) that they will make things right...I guess we'll just wait & see!

·
2,688 Posts
Every once in a great while, the printer who prints their ads, may make a typo. Sounds like what happened in this case. The store would then put up signs at the product display and what the correct price is.
I have seen in our local paper every once in awhile, a CORRECTION ad in the regular part of the paper. Sorry there is a mistake in our flyer this week on this product and this is the correct price.

It's frustrating yes, to the shopper and to the store.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go thru this. I agree that the store should of had signs or given it to you at this price. It sounds like you were a perfect lady thru this, so, you are the better person!! I'm not sure if I would ever step foot in that store again, to me it's principle. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
When our local stores have a mistake in their ads, they put a sign on the door as you walk in, send you an email if you are signed up for the emails, and have signs by whatever was priced wrong.

It sounds like your store really dropped the ball on this one and I bet you are not the only one complaining!

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Were you able to confirm if there were even signs in the meat dept to show the notice of correction? If they didn't post the sign THEN I'd see it as a valid complaint. Not trying to say the bait & switch you experienced isn't upsetting but errors do occur, the store doesn't have to honour the error however if they don't put up signage to correct the situation then I'd see it as a valid bait & switch. I bet after your visit to cust svc and mgr they posted signs if there already wasn't to cover their butts.

Sorry you had to go through this. :(

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Our stores will have a big sign as you enter the building if there is an ad error. I would contact the BBB. I would also give the store a low review. Google the store by specific address. By the place with the thumbnail map there should be a place for reviews.
That is what our store does too. Posted right on the front door as you enter so you can't miss it. That also apologize forthe inconvenience in the note.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts