Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever used bamboo sheets? I stumbled across them while I was surfing, looking for bedspreads. They sound wonderful. In specialty shops they are hideously expensive. Bed Bath and Beyond has some that are, compared to what I usually pay for sheets, just very expensive. Target has some that are are a 60/40 cotton/bamboo blend, that seemed to me comparable to just "good sheets."

I didn't find many reviewing the BB&B ones, but the ones who did loved them. The Target ones got mixed reviews - either raved about them or thought they were junk. Many said they pilled and were awful after the first or several washings. But I wonder if that is mishandling. The info I found said never to use bleach, bleach containing detergent, or any kind of fabric softener, either liquid or sheets, because these badly degrade the bamboo fabric. They may not have been aware of that and damaged them in the wash.

I have a coupon for BB&B, and I think I'm going to splurge and get a set for my new bed. At least I'll take a look at them tomorrow. They are reportedly very soft (despite a thread count on the low side for quality sheets) and cool, which to me would justify the cost come July in Louisiana.

If you have used them or know anything about them, please share your experience with me.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I'v never used bamboo sheets, but we have purchased bamboo pillows from Target and absolutely loved them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have Bamboo socks and they are fairly comfortable. i think the sustainability of bamboo is part of the draw for some people. sorry i can't help with the sheets, per say.

·
4,028 Posts
The only bamboo I've used has been yarn and I did find that it tended to pill a little as I continued with the project. I don't know if sheets would do it or not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the fibers are so delicate that they need baby-ing in the wash, it stands to reason they will break down and pill more than something more robust.

DH has had bamboo socks and liked them very much.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have no experience with bamboo sheets but I do have a favorite summer top that is made from bamboo material. It does tend to pill a bit if not babied a bit in the wash. I wash in cold water, minimal detergent, gentle cycle, and hang to dry and haven't had much problem. They pill much less than my cheap flannel pjs. :) I don't know if the material would be of similar weight to my shirt, but it is very silky and soft textured.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I did spring for them today, so I'll know fairly soon. I got the impression that the fabric was not particular delicate, it was just that there is a chemical reaction with bleach and fabric softeners. I am looking forward to trying them out. The fabric sample in the store was definitely soft.

·
27,948 Posts
I can't be alone in being a weirdo & first sarcastically thinking who would want bamboo sheets, kinda hard to lay on...maybe someone on Survivor... :crazy:

They sound neat, hope you find just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Be sure to post a follow up please! I've wondered about them, but my old sheets haven't worn out so I won't be buying new for a while. Do thet have them in different thread counts? I've always found that with sheets, thread count is so important to the longetivity.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up on the bamboo sheet question. I bought the sheets that Bed Bath and Beyond sells. I washed them yesterday and put them on the bed last night. My mattress is about 9" deep, and they fit very well. I would have liked the top sheet a few inches wider in a perfect world, but it's a standard size and ok.

I absolutely love them. After the wash they were amazingly soft and almost silky feeling. If you like a "crisp" sheet, these aren't for you, but I thought they were wonderful. They did have a cool feel to them, and I'm guessing they will indeed be good sheets for the summer, though of course I have no experience of that yet.

Washing. One reviewer suggested washing them with baking soda and vinegar, which I did. However I was also washing a mattress pad with them, and I had forgotten that I had spilled liquid laundry detergent on it some time ago (don't even ask), and that washed out, so there was detergent in the wash as well, though not a lot. Fortunately I never buy detergent with bleach, so it was ok. I used the cold water wool cycle in an excess of caution, but warm wash is apparently fine for them. I was going to pull them out of the dryer a little damp, but didn't get to them soon enough. They were very dry, and wrinkled by then, but I "hand pressed" them as I folded, and they were ok for me. I'm not very fussy about some wrinkling in sheets.

Conclusion - I give them an enthusiastic thumbs up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Donna,
I know that you already purchased your bamboo sheets. I wanted to let anyone else that should stumble across your thread, that we have a plethora of information about bamboo bedding, clothing etc....available at Green Earth Bamboo.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hubby bought me some bamboo dish towels. They are very soft and I like them. It was stated that they dried fast, but I have not found that to be the case. After I wash all my dish towels, I hang them outside on a drying rack and I have to leave the bamboo dish towels out there MUCH longer than the other towels. Other than that, they are fine.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I did buy bamboo sheets at the Christmas tree shop. I've had them on my bed for a couple of weeks. I've washed them the same way I wash the rest of my clothes (I have a front loader; easier on clothes with no agitator) with no problem. I paid $20 for them. I would buy them again.
They are very comfortable. I actually went back to buy another set but the light colors were gone in queen size.

T

·
0 Posts
I have bamboo bath towels. Although they lost that "new towel softness" feeling faster than cotton ones, they have held up remarkably well. I only wash them once a week, and find that they are better than cotton towels for not smelling "used." Very absorbent, too. I will be buying bamboo towels again when I need to replace them.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw this thread was up again. I've now had the sheets since February, and by now, of course, totally forget all the cautions. I just wash them like everything else and they are holding up fine. I am still in love with them - they are so soft and comfortable, and yes, cool, as sheets go. So after months of wear -- I only have one set and they get washed and put right back on the bed -- they still get a definite thumbs up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bamboo Rocks!

Donna,

It's great to hear you're enjoying your bamboo sheets. Bamboo sheets are the softest sheets out there in my opinion. You might also be interested to know that there are a lot of other products made of bamboo. I have a couple of bamboo shirts that are awesome. Much cooler and softer than cotton!

Jules

·
Registered
302 Posts
I too have the bamboo sheets from Target and I've had them for more than three years. They have pilled. I probably wouldn't buy them again.

That said, I had a bath rug made from bamboo that was really nice and soft, and I also have bamboo tights that have held up great (I wore them every week for six months and they never got a snag or run, and were lovely and warm all winter).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts