Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight my first payment goes to my Debt Management Program. So here we start ! But, tonight I got a call from B of A they wanted a payment of $270.00 for one of the cards, they said if I did not pay them in a branch by Friday 2pm that the account would charge-off.

I told the woman that I dont have it, she wanted me to ask family members????? Should I let it go to collections and deal with it that way ? Or is this just a threat ??

Thanks Tony

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Not enough detail here........why 270? Is that what is due? Are you behind? If you don't have the $ you will have to see what they do. If it goes to collections they will only get pennies on the dollar........but also goes on your credit.

IMO.........the only bank WORSE than Chase.........is B of A!!! They are doing some real SCUM BAG things now.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Tonight my first payment goes to my Debt Management Program. So here we start ! But, tonight I got a call from B of A they wanted a payment of $270.00 for one of the cards, they said if I did not pay them in a branch by Friday 2pm that the account would charge-off.

I told the woman that I dont have it, she wanted me to ask family members????? Should I let it go to collections and deal with it that way ? Or is this just a threat ??

Thanks Tony
Bank of America got bailed out. I am seriously confused here. I thought the debts were not in your name and only in your parents?...

And yes it is a threat and already sure it's in collections..

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Frugalfranny said:
Not enough detail here........why 270? Is that what is due? Are you behind? If you don't have the $ you will have to see what they do. If it goes to collections they will only get pennies on the dollar........but also goes on your credit.
Collections only want all or nothing. It's that simple. No payment plan.(or they might settle)

From what Tony has posted, it's not on his credit but his family. He is trying to do the right thing.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Tony, I hope you do realize that as long as you are going through some type of Debt management program, the phones will still keep ringing.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
or they might settle)
From what Tony has posted, it's not on his credit but his families. He is trying to do the right thing.
They will settle. In this economy.........and for that amt. would bet anything that they would settle......might have to fight with them. I worked part time for one.......doing calculating and input.....not calling.......when the economy was better.... and just about anything over $150 they would settle if they had spent enough time on it.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
They will settle. In this economy.........and for that amt. would bet anything that they would settle......might have to fight with them. I worked part time for one.......doing calculating and input.....not calling.......when the economy was better.... and just about anything over $150 they would settle if they had spent enough time on it.
Almost makes me not want to pay my own debt. *sigh*

Tony (in his parents names) has about 100k in debt.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Proper pesponses to collectors...
"Ok, I'm sorry about that - but I still can't pay you."

I told the woman that I dont have it, she wanted me to ask family members?????
"No"

Should I let it go to collections and deal with it that way ? Or is this just a threat ??
Like has been said, the account is already in collections.

Listen - they're going to say just about anything to you. They'll insult you, they'll threaten you, they'll do anything or say anything to get you to act out of fear or anger.

You just need to keep your calm and stick to the plan.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am behind. They said if they don't get 270.00 they will charge the account off. Sorry I was not clear on that..

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I am behind. They said if they don't get 270.00 they will charge the account off. Sorry I was not clear on that..
Let em charge it off.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Agree with Greebo.

If they don't want to play fair.. F' em.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Wasn't this one of the banks telling you you had to use the debt management program anyway? Tell em to make up their mind...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wasn't this one of the banks telling you you had to use the debt management program anyway? Tell em to make up their mind...
Looks more to me like they were setting up the good cop, bad cop routine... and now the fun begins.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Was it listed on the Debt Program? Good grief. I would tell them to deal with the Debt program.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I talked with the Debt Program rep, she told me to pay Bank of America, and short my payment to them. Now what was to be my start was another DELAY !!! Now I have to call the CCS Monday and put this in order.

I am very down tonight!! Like everybody, with CCS I wont have control.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
It goes to collections after 6 months of non payment. Then it is charged off as far as the card company goes. IF you make one payment of ANY amount it starts all over again.
Chase will deal for a lesser amount after 6 months. BofA is an ass.
One company that won't deal, so to speak, is American Express. Their collection company is Collect Corp and they do work for AE.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
What would you do ??
Have you truly, really talked to you're parents about this and what they really want, besides the banks? Sorry if I missed a post about this. :) Hang in there.

I'm sure someone here will give you some good advice. :)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
What would you do ??
Let them charge it off and stick to the repayment plan you have in place.

Look if you HAD the money to make all your payments, I'd tell you to make the payments. You NEED to improve your income situation. But in the meantime, you CANNOT pay everything you owe (and yeah, even though your parents put the debt in their name, if it was at your request you do owe it). If you can't pay everything you owe, you can't pay it.

B of A is going to say all kinds of **** to you. They're collectors that are calling you - its their job to freak you out make you angry insult you whatever to get you to REACT instead of THINK.

All you do is say, "I can't pay you now. I will pay you when I can. Meanwhile, under the law (the fair debt collections act - read it), you can't call me again for 2 weeks, so if you do, I'm going to sue you and you'll end up paying my debts for me. Good bye!" and hang up.

Reactions: BigTony

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can afford to make the Debt Program payment every month, not all these extra payment they want. I need to stick to my plan and thats it. Thanks !!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts