Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried making one of these?

Just saw it being made on tv and it looks really good but super sweet. YUM! I'd only eat a bite though :( This gets its name b/c its half banana and half toffee.

* graham cracker pie crust
* 2 cans condensed milk - boiled for 3 hrs (note: keep water lever over top of the can or else they can explode :ack:
* 2-3 bananas - sliced
* whipped cream
* shaved chocolate bar/cocoa - to garnish

One the cans of condensed milk have boiled and you've made a caramel/dulce de leche, pour one can and spread evenly across bottom of pie shell, add enough sliced bananas to cover, pour the other can over top to cover banana layer and add layer of whipped cream to cover. Add some chocolate shaving across the top or lightly dust with cocoa. Let set for 2-3 hours in fridge til chilled.

My suggestion was chill it then top it with whipped cream just before serving.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can yas let me know how super sweet it is when yas do pls?
Sounds so simple but way too much sugar for me.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sounds good....but the boiling for 3 hours sort of killed it for me.............takes too long.

will investigate some caramel dulce de leche and see what can be changed............sure sounds yummy though!

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Dave would love this...boiling the condensed milk makes it taste so good. Thanks. I'll be trying this soon :chef2:

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
I made that! It was Paula Deen's recipe that I made. It tastes delicious!

·
8,714 Posts
~I can tell you right now that it will be insanely sweet. My mom still makes her caramel this way. We use it for dipping apples. It's fantastic but an apple with 1/4 cup of caramel is all I can take. I'm trying not to imagine the sugar coma induced by having it with bananas and a graham cracker crust, wow! My DH would love it though! He's a hummingbird.~

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
~I can tell you right now that it will be insanely sweet. My mom still makes her caramel this way. We use it for dipping apples. It's fantastic but an apple with 1/4 cup of caramel is all I can take. I'm trying not to imagine the sugar coma induced by having it with bananas and a graham cracker crust, wow! My DH would love it though! He's a hummingbird.~
I know - being diabetic, this recipe makes me cringe. But the tasty factor sounds so deliciously wonderful, I'm tempted to say I can't resist but I'd only be able to eat a bite before the migraines would set in. :( That being said, since my switch to insulin from pills - I seem to be be able to tolerate sugar better but thats not my goal! LOL

Anyone wanna mail me a bite please? :D

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Presidents choice makes a good caramel/dulce de leche
Did you see this on City Line cause thats where I saw it and thought yum
careful when boiling the cans they have been known to blow up if water gets too low

1 - 11 of 11 Posts