Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am really hoping someone has figured this one out already. I was trying to come up with which one was more economical. My plan was to count the number of washings out of each type and divide by the price. This one will take me a while though and I will have to rely on my DH to count his usage as well (wish me luck on that one). Has anyone out there researched this one yet?

Amazon.com: Nivea For Men, Cool, Hair and  Body Wash, 16.9-Ounce Bottle (Pack of 3): [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41A70MEQAzL

Amazon.com: Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash Value Pack, Bonus 6.67oz. bottle with Free Body Pouf…@@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51mFZkbLRhL

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i just go with body wash since i have a problem getting the bar to dry fast enough.

Reactions: jlaporte

·
Registered
956 Posts
I haven't researched it, but at least for us, a bar of soap lasts longer. Though, I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that we have kiddos that dump vast amounts of body wash out each time. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
soap

I would think bar soap would be more economical but for some reason I wont use bar soap and my husband wont use body wash (even like axe) so we have to get both. I get my body wash a huge bottle for 1 buck at the dollar store and get my husband's bar soap at big lots. I hope to start getting coupons to get that stuff for free after I get my coupon collection going as I just started.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think the bar soap's cheeper, though I do like body wash. I have yet to get that holder for bar soap that has a "down spout", and 2 little spokes to keep the soap up in the dish. It's in a few catalogues that I keep seeing, but I'm getting better at tuning out that flood in my mail box, and I don't remember which catalogue.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I haven't done any math, but it seems to me the bar soap is cheaper. Quite some time ago, maybe last summer, I got 3-bar packs of Irish Spring on sale for around $1 if I remember. Sometimes I have found body wash free with rebates, but not for a long time, and it seems expensive just to buy, so I stick with the bars.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For me the bar soap lasts longer. I got some Caress on sale and love it. No drying with it. I tend to overuse the liquid.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I haven't researched it, but at least for us, a bar of soap lasts longer. Though, I believe a lot of that has to do with the fact that we have kiddos that dump vast amounts of body wash out each time. :)
I agree. I've never measured the amounts, but a bar lasts longer vs. a bottle. If I have body wash, I take the bottle out of the shower each day, so that I am the only person using it. The kids and DH don't appreciate it anyway!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I made my own body wash out of bar soap. 1 bar of soap yields about a gallon of body wash for about 65 cents. I can fill up 3 big empty bottles of body wash for that price. Thats a big savings considering I was spending about 3 to 6 dollars per bottle.

Reactions: ml2620

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
We changed to bar soap when I saw it on sale & thought about it that it was cheaper and lasts longer since we have teenage boys who use alot of body wash. I said that was enough of buying body wash every week when I can buy 3 bars of bar soap for a $1 and it last much longer. I'm glad that I finally realized that! I talked it over with them and they didn't seem to mind so that's good.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
this is a good topic - know why? lol
it really depends on how often and how much you use of each one that determines which is economical.

most ppl use too much shampoo, toothpaste, body wash... anything in liquid form is used in excess - usually out of ignorance (or reading the 'how to use' label).

technically bar soap would last longer, but what's your preference?

i've yet to find a bar soap that doesnt leave me with that filmy dirty feeling.

but when i use body wash, it lasts!!! because i only use a small dallop on my loofah. (fake of course) lol

:)

·
Registered
906 Posts
When we got our water softener they were running a "deal" where we got body/house soaps too. It is now 6 years later and I still have over half of the boxes of bar soap they gave us (we use it too).

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would think bar soap definately last longer and since it is cheaper to begin with, I would think it would be more economical!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
We buy both liquid soap and bar soap. If I could get DH to go along, I'd just buy bar soap. You can always add your own water to some melted barsoap and make body wash. I hate paying companies for water, so in general try to buy the most concentrated form of any product that I can. [I'll add my own water, thank you!]

My :cents:

Judi

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree. Dove doesn't dry out my skin the way other bar soaps do. I've used it all winter along with Jergen's lotion and had no dry skin.

DD uses Bath and Body Works shower gel, but she was given enough as gifts for Christmas and birthday to last until next year.

DH, DS, & I use the Dove.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The best IMHO is the aleppo soap bar! It's rich in oils, so it helps problematic skins and is great for any kind. It really leaves your skin hydrated, healthy and soft :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts