Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! What size crock pot do I need for a 4 lb chuck roast? Can I cut it up to make it fit in my crock pot? Also is there a difference between a crock pot and a slow cooker? If so, which is better? Thanks for helping me! I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have no idea what size you'd need, but I'd guess a 6qt would work. Yes you can cut the meat to make it fit, and they are both the same. Crock pot is actually a brand name. I love my slow cooker and there are a few great sites that have really good recipes, one being a woman who used hers everyday for a year and gives results of each. Good luck!

Reactions: twinsmom99

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
6qt sounds about right.

If you have not bought one yet, look around, and don't forget to check 2nd hand stores. Ours have slow cookers all the time for $5-10. Ask to plug it in to make sure it warms up, and check that there are no cracks.

The reason I say to shop around is that there are different brands and they have different controls. Some have a light so you know when it is on. Some of them are labeled better than others. I had to go over the raised letters on mine with a crayon so I could tell what setting I have it on. The little one DH uses for overnight oatmeal just comes on when it it plugged in, no variation is settings at all.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I also agree with the other posters about a 6 quart and remember that crockpots cook better if only filled about 1/2 full...so I always opt for the the larger sizes.

I had one of the older model crockpots {it was given to me as a wedding gift about 20 years ago} and after finding a crack in my crock {do not add cold items to an already warmed crockpot btw}.

I bought another one as a replacement & I totally went with a basic model.
Why? Because if something needs to be cooked on high x number of hrs. and then turned to low, I would rather just cook that particular recipe on low for a longer cook time and save myself $15.00 or more.

This is the one that I purchased & have been super happy with it:
Manual Slow Cookers - SCV400-B

On average I use my crockpot about 3 or 4 times a week so it defiantely gets a workout...lol.

Oh & as for you question about whether to use crockpot or slow cooker...they are totally the same thing.
Crockpot is just a particular brand name.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hubby just bought me a 6qt crock pot for Christmas and I must say it has been one of the BEST presents EVER!!!!

He purchased mine off Amazon (as he doesn't really like to go out shopping) and bought the crock pot brand. LOVE IT!!!!

Hope you get to enjoy yours.

BTW, MissouriAngel, what is the website for the woman that did a year of crockpot cooking? I am very interested in reading and trying some recipes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A year of slow cooking crockpot365.blogspot.com

I wasn't sure if I should post the link or not, some forums don't like when you do that.

Reactions: VanVivCam

·
Registered
669 Posts
Also, crockpots work best if between 2/3 and 3/4 full. If less than that, they will cook faster, if more they will cook slower.

The newer crockpots tend to be hotter, so you need to watch the times - many recipes that are posted were designed for older, smaller and cooler crockpots.

I have cooked a 4 lb roast in my 4 qt crockpot, but needed to use a double layer of foil to cover it, and it took longer to cook, which was fine by me. I was making pulled pork so cooking it longer worked better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I love my Crockpot, I work all day and can still have a healthy, hot, homemade meal ready for the kids and I when I get home after a long day.

I'm always exhausted after work so it's been a blessing! After awhile you will be able to make just about anything you make in the oven. I just eyeball everything now, it's great for making soups out of items that would otherwise be thrown out without much effort. On the weekend I throw a roast or chicken in at like 10am and it will be ready by supper time.

I must confess I cook about 90% of my meals in the Crockpot now..lol I hate scrubbing a oven.

P.S. The automatic spell checker on my computer was trying to change the work crock pot to Crack pot..haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for my great replies!

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses. I am very excited to get cookin'! And the links w/ more recipes are great to have also. You guys are great. Its so neat to see how people will help out a total stranger. :tay:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I can warn you not to choose a digital crockpot/slowcooker. Hub's bought me one and it lasted about 11 months the digital junk went out in it and it was trash (yes I still have the crock!!)
I agree with lookin at the thrift stores, I have 3 crockpots, 6qt for main meals, and 2 3qts for sides and deserts. Both the small ones are from thrift stores and I love them!
You'll be a crockpot/slowcooker guru in no time and you'll wish you'd started using them sooner!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 3.5 quart, which is fine for 2 people. I usually get a 2 lb roast with veggies in it, so I'd say you would need a 6 qt for a 4 lb roast. I did buy a new one recently and have been super happy with it. It has one base, but 3 different sized crocks. I believe the crock sizes are 2, 4, and 6qt. The only thing I don't like about it is that it only comes with one lid so if I have a crock in the fridge and plan to use another crock to cook something or steam veggies, I have to put tin foil over the crock in the fridge. One of the things on my massive to-do list is to contact the mfg company and see if I can buy some extra lids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts